Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, they have... multiple times. Q got in trouble simply for defying the Q Council... not for meddling with humans.

And How? Easy - he'd snap his fingers and send em back where they came from, wrap them in a high-density gravity field, implode the brains of the navigators, et al?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Bah

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, first of all, infinite power is infinite power. The entirety of the Q continuum could not stop Q from having a baby. Why would they be able to strip his powers? I mean hello infinite power is infinite power. And even multiple infinite powers cannot over come one infinite power. Infinite is infinite.

This means Q powers must be finite and by extension Q are not omnipotent.

As for the Jesus thing, that is no correlation at all unless the soldiers were all the begotten sons of Jehovah.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually he has only shown the ability to send a ship a few hundred light years. Nothing to a Hyperdrive. He wouldn;t know to wrap them in high density gravity field, and even if he did the source of the gravity would be the ship and therefore the ship could still move in hyperspace. FInally navigators for the most part don't exist of SW vessels they have navicomputers and astromechs, and even if they did exist Q has shown no ability to explode brains.

But you forget the Why? You'd have to come up with a canon reason for the Q to take any interest other than microwaving some popcorn. The Q DO NOT INTERFERE WITH THE AFFAIRS OF MORTALS. Even in "All good things.." it was the affiar of everything, including the Q would would not be able to escape the ramifications of the anti-time.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No... you of all people (being so self proclaimed in advanced physics) should know that you CAN, indeed, quantify Infinity.

http://www.jimloy.com/calc/infinity.htm

As stated here, you can quantify Infinity using Limits.

Of course, I'm sure you already knew this.

So, thus, Infinity can be surpassed. After all, Infinity + 1 is greater than Infinity by virtue of basic mathmatics.

As such, Q+Q is stronger than Q, as the Power of Q + the Power of Q > The Power of Q.

Moreso, why would it matter if the soldiers were begotten sons of Jehovah? I think you're getting your religious backgrounds confused. Jesus died to remove our sins... if he had not died, we'd all be tainted by sin (or rather, we could not pray for forgiveness) and thus we'd all go to hell.

At least according to the bible.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Only one problem - Q has guided humanity before. You can't deny that the borg contact wasn't an intentional method for Q to show Picard there were things they were not yet ready for... hell, he even SAID it himself!

And how many OTHER times has Q guided Picard towards a solution?

You know what... you make all these "grand claims" about Jedi and Sith that we NEVER ONCE FUCKING SEE in the movies or the shows (ultimate cannon), EVEN WHEN THEY WOULD BE HELPFUL. If, for example, a powerful Jedi could reverse death or stop time or some other bullshit like that, why is it never done when, oh, I don't know, the Republic is failing or Palpatine is killing Mace or when all the JEDI ARE BEING [deleted] BY THE CLONES?

They can't. Plain and simple.

So, either the Q have no limits BECAUSE we have seen no limits and thus the FORCE has only the limits we have seen/read, or the Q have limits based on what we have NOT seen them do and the FORCE has limits based on what we have seen them NOT DO in high-cannon.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You can't have your cake and eat it too Scotch... then again, you're busy stabbing yourself in your eye with the fork at the moment.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, so those packing crates weight 200lbs empty? The small ones that fall on people and bounce like styrofoam? Nobody thought of just making a suit of laminate armor using the packing crate material?

As for phasers disintigrating stuff at high power settings, so what, Blasters blow chucnks out of durasteel wall on normal settings.

Which stationary targets? Saw very few of those in any of the movies. BTW I did not know that lowtech battle droids and I say low tech becuas the trade federation used lowtech cheap droids to save money, were the same as storm troopers.

Besides if Worf and Riker, two of Star feets elite can't hit a strolling target in a hall way at five meters you got no leg to stand on.

they have one Romulan cloak which they could dismantle to reverse engineer other cloaks which would take months of time and produce flawed copies. As for the Phase CLoak, don;t you think that after the pegasus incident the Federation would have had to destroy it with multiple Romulan witnesses.

Yet in hand to hand they were able to keep Data busy and were using energy whip on Riker. Funny that. But don't think that the Ferengi would not sell out everyone else becuase they aren't as stupid as your arguments.

Okay, there are no hyperspace lanes in Milky Way that we know of. However the need for hyperspace lanes died out long, long before even the era of KOTOR. All that is needed is a telescope to plot a short course and many short ones would still make a SW vessel almost infinitely faster than a ST vessel strategically.

Oh, give it up. If the Q intervened in the Borg-human war it was to start it, over nothing more than a bruised ego. As for the other wars they did not interfere becuase it was not their place. Q has said so himself, they are forbidden to meddle in the affairs of lesser beings.

Not possible. Why becuase of the HUGE area the Borg would have to strip mine to get anywhere near Earth. This is a fallacious assumption.

Apparrantly you suffer for some comprehension disorder. All I have provided is facts and canon information. It was you who brought up genatalia. Star presenting canon information or continue on your path. Either way you'll lose, but if you do the former, you'll at least look like you have some functioning brains.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

eh, Q inteveen when it sutes them. it sutes them to prohibit humanity from interstelar expansion they do it, so there is your benchmark. the Empire is the epitome of what the continuum prosecuted humanity for. STTNG S1 E1. it will hold in any cort.

extended Q capabilities? the same episode when Q loses his powers, at the end, do you remember what he did to the calamarean (or what ever you spell that bugger)?

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

suplemental: you try to quantify gods? this should be enertaining, please do go on :m: , i'll just sit back and enjoy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

eace:

oh, can you please translate the New Testament into equasions for me, especially the Book of Revelation? it would be a good example of how the Hebrew God would fare against Palpatine...... or the Death Star

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Look, the Q are powerful, yes but not omnipotent. Again I reiterate they have shown no ability that wasn't just a refined bit of Federation technology. Even what was done to Calamarean(sp) gas cloud was within the realms of transporters (at a high end of course)

As for their testing of humanity it was made clear that they weren't testing how humanity acts, as the Q are a thousand times more barbaric and capricious, but in the limited way in which they think. Like how long it took Picard to understand the problem of the Anti-time paradox or the true situation of the Firepoint base. Though it could be that Q was just testing Picard himself like a boy takes an interest in one ant in the ant farm.

However given the lack of reaction during the Dominion War, one would have a very hard case to prove the Q would do anything. Especially since even the most perceptive of them would simply note it was human against human.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. well, to be honest, i have no clue what is the limit of their power. i like to percieve them as an n+1(or more) dimensional entity. within their dimension (continuum) they might not be omnipotent, however down here they are just unreachable. just as we woul be thowards a rectangle if we could influence a plane. still my opinion is worth nothing here. while ST writers pretended to follow some rules or coherency when they created the tech, they did nothing of the sorts for Q.

2. huh ? miniaturization is withing transporter tech now? since when?

3. that the test might be more complex the initially stated i can agree with. however thier nature/morality was allso tested. regardless of wether Q were moral/imoral/amoral they did not want to allow evolution of a race that could threaten them. since humans had the potential to surpass the Q (i hint thowards Q less then unlimited abilties?) if they turned out to be agressive they would eventually attack or worse. so Q were testing the humans. both thier potential and their intentions.
    so if they encounter the Empire.....

on a side notw, is possible that Q were working for someone else? i can't remeber but i think i recall Qsaying that there are other entities in the contunuum?

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay, one, it's FARpoint, not FIREpoint... good god, you've done that how many times now?

And what do you mean within the realms of federation possibility?

In fact, you know what, I WILL go with that.

This means that the Future Federation has the ability to NOT ONLY time travel, but THROW MASSIVE SIZED CAPITAL SHIPS HUNDREDS OF LIGHT YEARS IN UNDER A SECOND. They can CHANGE THE GRAVITATIONAL CONSTANT OF LOCAL SPACE, and INDEED THE UNIVERSE, with a THOUGHT..

THEY CAN CREATE, DISTORT, or REMOVE real-space as they see fit.

Do you like that idea scott? That you're trying to give humanity the ability to, literally, create a fold in subspace and destroy whatever is inside that?

I don't think you would...

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes Antaran, there are more Q in the Continuum, including Q' (female Q) and q (Q children after the Voyager episode)

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i did not mean just other Qs like Amanda, but other omnipotent beings (other races).

19. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Paradox of omnipotence...exactly what is unachievable by an omnipotent being?

However, the fact remains that while Phoenix has never been stated to be omnipotent, Q has - which has been demonstrated.

It's not a matter of trust. Q has visited Picard in the "throes of death" already. How more Abrahamically omnipotent can you get?

Who the hell cares? ST v SW thread. X Men is irrelevant. Resistance of this fact is futile.

20. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The Q don't work for anyone, however they have mentioned other 'more advanced' beings.

The Organians encountered by Kirk's Enterprise and the Klingons would be one of them: their spokesperson rendered every Federation and Klingon starship useless with but a thought - with surgical precision too...the engines stopped and the weapons consoles began spontaneously generating excessive heat as any Terran or Klingon approached)

The Travellers would be another, however the extent of their abilities was not explored in Trek canon.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  21. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Not so. To miniaturize a life form without destroying it would require much more than a mere matter transporter could do. It would entail reconstituting smaller forms of every atom.

Simple gas compression would result in the effect that Q wanted to achieve, however, holding them alive in what might have been 50 times more pressure than the norm for the Calamarain would require some skill now won't it?

The lack of Q intervention in the Dominion war could be also explained by the fact that another advanced race interfered...the Bajoran Prophets. They turned the tide at a very key moment...removing the 1200 odd reinforcement Dominion battleships advancing through the wormhole.

In other words...the Q Continuum had yet another reason to avoid interfering in that particular conflict you keep hanging your hat on.

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

You constantly grasp at straws.

The final episode was indeed a test of intelligence. However, Farpoint station was an obvious test of how quickly humans might resort to barbaric means of solving a problem that they could not quickly understand. Q constantly goaded Picard into shooting the Farpoint creatures or even leaving the Bendii administrator to be tortured by the rescuing alien.

Quotes from the Farpoint mission included (paraphrased):
    Q: "It might attack you now, fire the photon torpedoes!"
    Q: "Shouldn't you leave him there Picard? After all he lied."

The Trek writers could not have been more painfully obvious and yet you missed the fact that the Farpoint situation was two-pronged.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Yet the transporter has done even weirder things like reverse the age of being be transported. besides compressing a gasseous being would be child play compared to reassembling atom by atonm like a transporter already does.

But the Q did not interfere before, hint about, or even show up in person to watch the show. And the only reason the Prophets did a damn thing is their Emissary begged them to and the Dominion was basically traipsing throught their home.

You don't get it. The Q had no reaon to interfere or not to interfere. The Dominion war is just a prime example of how the Q would just not involve themselves at all in a lesser being affair. You can't claim they would get involved becuase history shows us they wouldn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.