Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Last I checked, the Borg were a super-advanced race that, once adapted, to an energy frequency, shunts 99.9999999% of said energy... well, somewhere. We don't know where. By all accounts shown on screen, once they adapt to a frequency, it doesn't matter HOW strong it is, it won't affect them.

Infinite limits fallacy? You bet. However, it's canon. Thus, we can't just "I don't like it" away...

And proof that HyperMatter = Thousands of Yottatons? Better be good proof, too.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

yet what isn't? Last I checked, 8472's Bio-Weapons weren't fucking PHASERS you dimwitted fool! Good god, what kind of fallacious argument are you trying to present here?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

It seems they have trouble adapting to chemical, kinetic and gravitational energy however. I am not sure about electric and electromagnetic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ilithi_Dragon Dragon Overlord Registered Senior Member

Umm... Again, that Quantum torp was intended to disperse a chemical through a planet's atmosphere, not cause a maximum yield boom. You have established a minimum yield for the Quantum torpedo, yet you continue to use it as a maximum yield.

Then what's even the point of having the kilowatt lasers in the first place? You could split just ONE of those torpedoes at a billionth of that yield, and still have over 24,000 times more firepower than those kilowatt lasers could possibly have. The energy difference between a multi-teraton warhead and a kilowatt-range laser is greater than the energy difference between a full broadside from an Iowa class battleship and a sailor pissing off the deck. Literally.

If the lasers are kilowatt, yet the torpedoes are teraton range... That's a difference by a factor of over 24 trillion.

I speculate that the plasma torpedoes are not a DET weapon. That is the only logical explanation for such a massive discrepancy in firepower between the torpedoes and the lasers

Additionally, it's important to note that in Ghosts of Onyx, the UNSC Dusk laid a field of 14 HORNET thermonuclear mines, each with a yield of ~2.1 megatons. These were sufficient to destroy 12 Covenant warships and damage 4 more.

Also, in Fall of Reach, a single Shiva thermonuclear warhead was capable of of knocking out the shields of a pair of Covenant frigates with a proximity explosion. The yield of the Shiva is unknown, but a direct hit from a 42 megaton M/AM warhead should easily match or exceed the energy-on-target delivery of the Shiva, even at close range, since the vast majority of the blast energy would miss the frigates, while at least half the blast energy of a photon torp would hit the target, and even more if the indications of the use of shields/forcefields to 'shape' the charge are correct.

It doesn't make them uber-doom weapons that obliterate everything instantly, it just means that the NDF effect is going to have the same magnifying effect against shields and armor regardless of the type of shield and armor.

8. ricrery Banned Banned

Wank all you want, no one that says they can beat a W40k race is going to convince me of anything, and I was referring to when they blew holes in the Cube, without those TDIC levels of energy.

Yet, they aren't immune to projectiles or even close quarters combat. The Flood would excel at defeating them, like they did with High Charity.

The sun generates 3 Yottatons per year, and using the 8,000 year statement, the Death Star beam would generate 24,000 yottatons.

9. ricrery Banned Banned

You used TDIC like it was average Trek firepower, and I used QT instances where they couldn't even illuminate for a second, seems fair.

Well, they weren't going up against ships, they were going up against this.

Those lasers weren't anti-ship weapons. Torpedoes have a setting for fighters, ships, planets, and etc. but those lasers were probably just anti-fighter weapons.

They seem to be.

They had previously fought, remember? As for that, they seem to follow Star Wars ships a lot; have shields that can withstand teratons, but without them can be disintegrated by megatons.

Inconsistent with 2 gigaton - 5.8 teraton torpedoes.

10. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

go play in your sandbox now, and talk to your imaginary friend.

11. ricrery Banned Banned

... The fuck? It hit a PLANET. That has vacuum, it's not outer space.

If you even knew an iota of Halo, you would know that there is only ONE type of torpedo, it's called a PLASMA TORPEDO. God, if you don't even the basics of the universe you're debating against, then don't debate.

OH God... do you understand how other universes work? Well, considering you only talk about universes with STAR in them, I wouldn't be surprised if you have never heard of Halo.

Learn how to quote. No one likes the terrible way you respond.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh... what? What are you smoking, and can I have some?:m:

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ricrery, I have to ask, and I'm not flaming here...

are you mentally retarded? Or just a major Trek hater? Or perhaps you've never actually watched Trek, and all your "facts" are from SD.net?

I dunno... but your lack of skill in... well, anything actually, is kind of saddening.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, i can prove right now that those "plasma torpedoes" are no more than a few kilotons at best:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

those explosions are missiles being destroyed not more than a FEW METERS (at most) to A FEW FEET away from the Spartans. If those had been "teraton level" missiles, the blasts and shrapnel from such explosions would, at the VERY least, throw the Spartans (and their little hoverbikes) around like rag-dolls... as it is, there is NO effect what so ever.

Thus, they are not more than kilotons.

/thread

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

In fact, that video is INCREDIBLY damning to Halo - Vulcan Canons ripping into enemy fighters like tissue paper, Spartan Lasers (handheld weapons) blowing through bulkheads... what does the Covenent make their ships out of? Wet toilet paper?

16. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Are you kidding? This thread will never end.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, I meant more along the lines of Riceroni's "OH MAH GOD HALO IS TEH PWNZOR ALL OF SCI FI EFAN TREKSLOL!" BS.

18. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh, ok.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I mean... while that video is cool and all (and may actually get me to dl halo legends to watch), it's pretty damning evidence... BULLETS (subsonic ones at that) are a MAJOR threat to the Covenant fighters? Really? That's... pretty bad...

20. ricrery Banned Banned

Actually, I can prove right now why Star Trek uses gigawatts to terawatts. See, the Jem'Hadar fired a hit several Isotons worth at Sisko, and they were no more than a hundred meters away.

... Novels override anything in Halo: Legends that isn't consistent. It's like G-Canon to C-Canon. Therefor, they are still firing teraton bombs.

Thus, a Photon Torpedo is no more than a kiloton.

/thread

21. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I suspect that he thinks SD.net is his bible, Mike Wong his god and TW Scott his prophet. Or something along the lines of that

22. ricrery Banned Banned

That was a prototype, want to see how fucked up Legends prototypes are? Look at this!

Must have been made by Gundam writers.

23. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Pfft. Gundam is awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.