Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Over 66,666 times? Ouch!:runaway:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Excuse me but I was actually just saying the shields were down, learn to read.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

That makes a lot more sense.
    I have a question (Not for Scott).
    Can any Bioship turn its energy thats used for destroying planets towards individual ships? Or is that proof that ST shields are strong enough to protect entire planets?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

The average human has 100,000+ hairs.
    Or they keep a digital copy of the DNA.
    Whatever.

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

thank you.

Obviously yours instead of mine

Okay, first of all it does make sense, I was saying the ENTIRE strange ship was the capacitor, which matches visuals as the ship in question only fires that ONE pulse. As to why not put them on all ship they might have to basically self destruct to do that. And you might need the entire energy out put of seven ships to jumpstart the reaction.

We were not told this, and it make little sense. Lasers do not amplify energy, they do concentrated it, but provide NOTHING EXTRA to what all those photons would do. They just make the area of effect smaller.

A few hits from Fed phasers were all it took to nearly gut a Cube on first meeting, so? And there is no way you could say a Phaser even comes closer to destroying a planet or even a millionth of one.

It sucked wind against Voyager. But I am not saying it wouldn't work, I am just telling you that SW is so far above even Voth tech that comparing the effects on Borcg to effect on SW is pointless.

Of course they weren't the Borg need to assimiliate a little first. However even a grazing blow should have vaporized Voyager if it could blow apart 1/8th of a planet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  9. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Ah yes I started a new thread on a comepletely random topic, (F-14 vs. F/A-18).

10. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Your right, but a digital copy isn't exactly possible because errors still occur, and I don't remember seeing a near-bald Jango.

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Hey guy's i'm back. 332 pages ?? jeezes got a lot of catching up to do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Or is everyting still the same:bugeye:

Any side won yet

12. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Nobody won yet and Scott doesnt ever admit to anything.
    So far, I think we have admitted that ST sensors are better.
    Thats it though. Haloguy has been really cool.
    Good that you are back. Not many sane Wars fans here.
    So far, Trek has won the sensors and tactical speed. And the fact that SSDs have very weak shielding on their bridges, making for an easy hit.
    On the War's side, Wars's Death Stars are virtually unbeatable. Requiring Bioships since its unlikely Trek would have the plans that the Alliance had.
    Wars also has Trek beat on building capacity. But the way I see it, the virtually infinite number of Borg bearing down on every world (All 1.5 Million) in the Wars universe would be cause for alarm for the Wars citizens...
    And we are all ignoring Scott.
    If he (miraculously) makes a valid argument, the sane members of this forum can state what he said.

13. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I see no technical reason why the weapon can't be aimed at a ship. However, practically speaking, the weapon takes forever to fire, a targeted ship would be able to saunter out of the way.

14. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Dont think the Death Star or an SSD can get out of the way that easily...

Oh, btw. In the TOS episode "Journey to Babel", the Andorian warship self-destructs with NO debris.
    There is the power or explosives!

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

1. Plot device. Were Picard and Data to do just that, there'd be no exciting Enterprise-E v Scimitar firefight, and no "clean" ending.

2. Eventually, being outnumbered the shuttle would be beamed off the ship, or Picard and Data would be beamed back to the Scimitar brig or any number of ways for Shinzon to subdue our Federation heroes.

1. Plot device. Too easy if the Reman boarders were affected by light. Plus Riker's manliness must be displayed in defense of the wifie. Something a little less drastic than turning to the Dark Side of the Force, and slaughtering children.

2. At this point the computer was damaged, perhaps the light levels were locked at the red alert status (Red Alert by the way has dimmed ship lights since Kirk days).

3. Under weapons fire, would you take the time to turn on the lights? Do you think that the hardened Remans would stop firing?

1. Plot device. To demonstrate Picard's manliness. To resolve the paradox of (essentially) two Picards - the whole reason for the movie being called Nemesis.

2. An unmanned weapon is too easy to overcome, and there'd be no reconnaisance to ensure Shinzon is captured or dead.

THIS I agree with, except

1. Plot device. Brent Spiner is ANCIENT. Data is an ageless android. Time to replace him with CGI, or a younger actor.

Plot devices. Story continuation. Wasn't there some sort of consensus to roll with these in the spirit of the argument? I did miss more than half of the 330 odd pages of this debate

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Honestly, I don't even know why this argument includes either Death Star...they were both white elephants that were destroyed way too easily. Key word: destroyed.

ST: Generations: My warp core

explodes, the shock wave pushing a 1 million odd metric ton saucer section that was quite a considerable distance away down to Veridian - speaks to the power of the blast.

The saucer section survives reasonably intact. Only the upper bridge window is broken (visually speaking). Speaks to the strength of ship design, considering that Grievous' Star Destroyer broke in half on entry to atmosphere.

17. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I'm late on this one, nevertheless...

Honeybuns...

1. (incidental point) The Borg 'homeworld' has never been displayed in canon Trek has it? You cannot assume that their planet would be unshielded, or lousy with antimatter. Stick to the canon TW.

2. Nothing was shown about this Borg colony planet outside of a lack of shielding...no munitions count, no power plants no nothing. And you're right...had they never met Species 8472, a Warsie planet killer (Death Star or what have you) would have utterly decimated a targeted Borg planet or two. Now that the Borg have met a species that is able to strike a planet and dust it, you may assume (by canon behaviour) that they WILL indeed be ready for future planetary attacks, forever more, resistance is futile.

1. Actually the easiest assumption to make is that 8 bioships can blow any unshielded planet to bits. No calculations.

2. Saquist's amplifier explanation is the easier one. Capacitor TW? Why would you need 7 other ships to activate a capacitor? That is really stupid. A step-up transformer exist in today's society, it is extremely easy to imagine such a principle being applied to weapons development.

3. Voyager has been attacked on both Species episodes. Voyager (by plot device) was extremely lucky to survive in both cases, having been hit only by glancing blows - favouring evasive moves against 8472, unlike the Borg's frontal assault/no retreat tactics.

I get from glancing at the previous argument, that there arose a question of Species 8472 v the Empire. It is under this umbrella only that I allow for Voyager's awesome Janewayness to be sullied

18. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm, I just have never seen SW sheilds do anything.

19. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

I'm happy, I can't read Scotts messages anymore.

20. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Sadley I haven't seen much voyager lately, and I've never seen 8472 shows yet, but I'm not surprised that they can actavate a weapon like this, because on a game called Armada II they had this weapon, take 8 battleships (bio-ships) and fire upon a frigate (a made up version of the bio-ship, slightly larger and different structure) which then fucused the energy and could destroy everything, (sadly except a planet, because if you could blow up a planet that would be to unfair to the rest of the races in the game, but like all other races you can wipe the population of a planet).

21. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zoucuN1TUc
    At 27secs, Voyager suffers a hit from a Bioship, but the shields survive, the hull is intact, and Voyager can instantly calculate a jump to Warp.
    I doubt ANY SW ship that size can maneuver like that.
    At 46 secs, the Bioships destroy the planet.
    Sure. its 10 seconds to do it... but you know how much ENERGY it takes to blow up a PLANET? And the bioships arent even 1/1000 the size of the Death Star...

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The planet buster beam on the game only eliminates the population. I think allowing the beam to shatter a planet in the game would have been too complicated. In Armada II though, the beam could destroy pretty much any station...if i remember correctly.

I should resurrect that game, twas fun...

23. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Heres a great example of ST technology.
    Transwarp is pretty damn fast and Voyager can detect ships from ATLEAST 3 Transwarp Hours away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.