Why did the Abrahamic God favour the Middle-East?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lepustimidus, Jul 2, 2008.

1. lepustimidus Banned Banned

I'm just curious as to why the Abrahamic God of the Islamic/Christian/Jewish religions favoured the Middle-East? After all, all of his prophets came from that area, hence only the civilisations in that region were enlightened to God's word.

What about all the civilisations and peoples distant from the Middle East, such as in the New World and the British Isles? Did God just say 'Fuck em, let those assholes remain ignorant to my existence, and suffer and burn because of it?'

It seems hardly fair to blame such people for following barbaric pagan and pantheistic beliefs, when God didn't send them a prophet or two to show them the light.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I read in a book once that theres a belief amongst Jews that god tried to reveal himself to all other peoples before them, but they all rejected him. The jews were his last chance to reveal himself to humanity so he "held a mountain over their head (Mt. Saini)" and threatened to crush them all in one shot if they didn't believe him.

Which I have always found interesting seeing as how YHWH has a lot in common with other early deities. And many early civilizations experimented with the idea of there being only one god. But often the people who toyed with that idea faced severe criticisms, or were destroyed. Judaism has a lot in common with Zoroastrianism. And Zoroastrianism predates Judaism by a long shot.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

According to Islam, Prophets were sent to various people around the world. Which is why Muslims accept other religions as being of Divine Origin and their founders as true Prophets.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

If you actually read the mythology of Sumerians/Akkadians and seperately Egyptians you can actually see how 90% of Hebrew religion is a direct ripoff.
    Yes the Book of Enoch(not canon and that's a whole other can of worms) is nearly direct plagerism of Zoroastrianism.

I find it facinating people(even intelligent ones) will believe this stuff - and never actually look it up.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah. I find it interesting that Abraham and Sara, are similar to Brahma and Saraswati.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

Mostly I find it interesting that any god would choose such a depressingly desolate and dry area to show himself.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're confused between God and Prophet.

11. John99 Banned Banned

There have been 100s or 1000s of prophets right here in U.S. That is what they claim anyway.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This is the cradle of civilization, and the one God is an artifact of such a culture.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotheism

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

RE: Why did the Abrahamic God favour the Middle-East?

I've often wondered why the Great Xenu favored Tilden, Nebraska.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

The God of Abraham favored that region because that's where it was invented. The fact that this god wasn't just apparent to every person on the face of the planet should tell you that.

It's a myth. Duh.

16. Myles Registered Senior Member

He was a Jew

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As I recall wasn't Hindu founded before Judaism? There are many dieties within the Hindu religion taking on many forms and doing many things.

18. Vkothii Banned Banned

Vedism didn't exactly come from India.

Judaism, Jainism, even the sun-god Ra, all have parallels. The Hebrew were a tribe from the Sinai region, supposedly.

19. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Is there any evidence of this in the history of the peoples of the British Isles or the New World? From what I am aware, there are no records of prophets emerging in these areas to enlighten the people to the existence of the Abrahamic God.

What do they think of the pagan and pantheistic religions that existed in Europe, the New World and Africa? They don't strike me as being very similar to Abrahamic monotheism.

jdawg:
    Yep, it sure looks that way, doesn't it?

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"Hinduism is a religious tradition that originated in the Indian subcontinent. Hinduism is often referred to as Sanātana Dharma (सनातन धर्म) by its practitioners, a Sanskrit phrase meaning "the eternal law"or "eternal way".

Historically, Hinduism in the wider sense includes Brahmanism, religions that evolved from or based on Vedism in ancient India; in a narrower sense, it encompasses the post-Buddhist religious and cultural traditions of India.[Among its roots is the historical Vedic religion of Iron Age India.

Hinduism is often presented as the "oldest religious tradition" among the world's major religious groups, or as "oldest living major tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism

So if this was the very first religion and it has many Gods and Godeses in it, why then did another God get created?Wasn't there enough to go around when this religion was made up?:shrug:

21. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Indians love to make up fiction. If you don't believe me, just read some of S.A.M's posts.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Christianity says the same thing..

23. Balerion Banned Banned

And there are no records of that particular god trying to make his presence known anywhere else in the world. Abraham obviously ripped off his religious ideas from the Sumerians.