Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I would challenge that - I'd love to see them survive a blast of Thalaron Radiation

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anything organic in it's path turns to dust

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah but A i doubt the rate of fire on that weapon is useful at all. And two, I'd seriously doubt that they would fire the weapon on their own ship when they get boarded. And three, i also doubt that the weapon shoots in anything other than a straight line.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Worse comes to worse, the necrons would blow it up, they aren't organic. so they are okay.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It doesn't matter...

1) The scimitar is mobile - charge the weapon in warp, come out of warp, fire, and warp away

2) How'd their ship get boarded when they're far more agile than anything WH40K has shown?

3) Again, it's agile... if the target moves, it simply turns

My point, though, is that Star Trek doesn't need huge planet-sized battlestations to destroy planets

We can do it just fine with a single ship

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

They aren't organic, but they have organic material, correct? That material now turns to dust

9. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

No, as far as i hve been told, they are all machine, animated by from what i can gather the soulds of the necrontyr (how souls is defined i don't know, but it is not their original organic brain)

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well for starters, Ships don't go into warp to attack and than run away otherwise theyd do it all the time, so that options out.

2.) I doubt that ship is more agile than a drop pod, if data could be shot out of the Enterprise by a vacum and hit that ship, so can a drop pod.

3.) What happens when it is dealing with 60 some odd ships? There is no chance that it's shields would stand that long.

4.) In case you forgot on screen it took a ton of time for the superweapon to charge up to fire.

5.) This is all assuming that the ship doesnt get annihalated by the WH40k's weaponry.

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

don't really know this wh40k but it sounds cool

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Avoid at all cost: if only for the sake of your wallet.
    Recommended far more highly (at least by me

): Stargrunt II

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

it took 15 chapters to destroy the planet/battlestation, do you thinkk ST could stand up to 1,000?

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As for point #5, you have yet to state ANYTHING that even begins to indicate a level of firepower able to penetrate a trek shield... so yeah.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sure they could. Again, as I said

1) you have yet to prove they have even a snowballs chance of hitting a Trek ship at high-impulse speeds, much less warp.

2) You have yet to provide any evidence WH40Ks weapons would have ANY effect on a Star Trek shield... given how bulky and large their armor is, I don't see why their other technology would be more advanced...

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well you have yet to prove that WH40k tech could not penetrate the shields, and that it could not hit a high impulse craft, which really isnt all that difficult with guided missiles that fly a few times faster than said craft.

And the reason why your trek ships dont pop in and out of warp at every chance theyve got is so easy to explain, jumping into warp requires a crapload of power, so much that if it drops out right after it goes to warp it has little power for weapons or that matter shields.

Lets pretend that all scifi shields are the same because considering that there is no actual real life physics that would allow us to create a real life shield, all of our arguements with shields are kind of idiotic considering there is no real life standard for shield strength.

For all you know, the battlebarges shields would be impenetrable to ST weaponry or vice versa. There is really no other proof to the contrary.

So, can we just assume that the shields are the same strength or that the shields for all intensive purposes are down and there is no shield factor? Because otherwise this is comparing apples to oranges.

So, from here on in, lets pretend that all Star trek and warhammer STARSHIPS (not infantry) have shields of equal power okay?

18. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I love how you argue the fact that 95% of WH40k weaponry would miss based off of NOTHING.

Im sure you would really know that the number is 95%. So what exactly are you basing your bullshit claim off of?

Well considering that the STANDARD weaponry on a WH40k ship can destroy a planet i think were well off. No ship in ST comes with specialized planet killing weaponry STANDARD theres only a handful that can, and they cant be at a thousand battles at once.

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

If it's any help to one side or the other (I suspect NOT the pro-40K'ers) when the first edition came out I wrote to Rick Priestly (the main author), pointing out a few errors and his reply was basically: we couldn't care less about scientific or factual errors, all we're interested in getting a game out of it.
    The ONLY consistency they want to maintain is in playability, if that conflicts with ANYTHING else then the "anything else" is knowingly and willingly sacrificed.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, I'd not agree to that because 1) it'd be stupid to do so and 2) it's utterly wrong

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, but tell me... is the average planet moving ALMOST 9/10th the speed of FUCKING LIGHT?

NO, IT ISN'T! Use your damn brain before you open your gaping howler of a mouth!

At Impulse, in combat situations, Star Trek ships have shown the ability to exceed .8c (80%) the speed of light, with some reaching 90%! GOOD LUCK hitting that with any sub-relativistic weapon!

22. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

we are talking both actually. 2 hits in the secondary hull, droped E-E out of warp, 2 shots destroyed each of the DSs

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

dude, E-E had no realistic hope of defeating the Scimitar while it was cloacked. the only hope they had was the fact Shinzon wanted Picard alive. c'mon man, 57 RP2 disruptor banks? 20+ photon torpedo launchers? agility of the E-E and 5+ times the size? it's like figting 5 or more warbirds at the same time. even without the fire-while-cloacked thingy it takes a tactical genious to operate/command the E-E and mediocre dudes in charge of the competition. in a free far all no limitation duel the Scimitar could destroy the E-E without the cloack i think, allthough it would largely depend on who gets the first shot. if E-E could get those quatums into the Scimitar first, they might stand achance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.