Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Yeah...I think that's the one that Riker had in "Frame of Mind" (brought it up cause the reference was used). The key chain one.

The Type II would spit out more shots at setting 16. Phaser rifles can fire kill shots multiple times (as seein in the Dominion war).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, remember, much past lvl 5 is a "kill" shot to a human being

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Phaser Type 1 - able to utilize levels 1-8

Phaser type 2 -The type-2 phasers of the 24th century were capable of achieving sixteen settings, ranging from mild stun to disintegration. They were as follows:
    * Level one: lowest setting, Light Stun, capable of stunning most base humanoids for approximately five minutes. According to Starfleet regulations all phasers must be stored at this setting. Possesses enough force to break large urns. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual; TNG: "Aquiel"; TAS: "The Lorelei Signal")
    * Level seven: Capable of vaporizing noranium carbide alloy. (TNG: "The Vengeance Factor")
    * Level ten: Kill setting, capable of killing a biological organism. (TNG: "Aquiel")
    * Level sixteen: Capable of vaporizing rock to widen an opening in a lava tube partially blocked by rubble, or blowing large holes in walls. (TNG: "Chain of Command, Part I", "Frame of Mind")

Phaser Rifle capable of utilizing levels 1-16

Phaser Compression Rifle - capable of utilizing levels 8-16 repeatedly for a long duration

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Discharge Energy Index: 1.55 x 106
    Duration: 0.28 seconds
    SEM:NDF Ratio 1:40
    Damage Index: 2450
    Notes:

* Shielded matter exhibits light mechanical fracturing
    * Catastrophic geological displacement, as approximately 650 m3 of rock (of average density 6.0 g/cm3) is explosively decoupled by a single discharge

That's... intense...

650 cubic meters of rock of an average density of 6 grams per cubic centimeter from a 1/4 second burst of a HANDHELD Type 2 Phaser... holy hell... eat your heart out Star Wars blasters

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Ohhhh!

Then I appear to have been mistaken about which phaser Riker had in "Frame of Mind".

I'm pretty sure the phaser ratings were posted before. "Duh" on me for not remembering

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

( o )Y( o ) boobies...

9. Montec Registered Senior Member

Lets see 650 cubic meters at 6 grams per cubic centimeter is about 4,290 tons (2,000lbs per ton and using 1 cm^3 water weights 1 gram).

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Exactly - that's what a tiny little hand phaser does with a single shot... and it can put out a dozen or so shots like that.

I don't care if a blaster pistol is able to blow splinters off of a catapult, this far, far outdoes that

11. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

yeah and federation ground troops have sheild generators made for much more powerfull phaser rifles so im pretty sure they could survive a few hundred of the much weaker star wars blaster shots that added with the rifles themselves makes this battle easy fpr the feds

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

So, as the current tally stands:

Ground Combat - Advantage Star Trek

While Star Wars has the numbers advantage, Star Trek's quality is a quantum leap ahead.

Vehicular Combat - Advantage Star Trek

Again, Star Wars has numerous huge, slow, armored behemoths... but as Star Trek uses small, quick, agile shuttlecraft for most of their ground support, I doubt they'd have an issue taking out even an AT-AT - worst case, a phaser blast or photon torpedo to the leg joint and down she goes.

Space Combat - Advantage, Star Trek

As planetside, Star Wars has Quantity, but Trek has Quality. Faster tactical speeds, far more agile capital ships, and fighters that pack nearly the power of a capital ship into a smaller, swifter package perfect for short range attacks. Add in the progression of technology, and the result is obvious.

Winner: Star Trek.

13. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Did you ever notice in Clone Wars, a droid can be knocked out of commission with a single punch?

Just an observation...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Imagine what Worf or Data could do to a droid then o0; RAPE!

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

also do note that in ST TOS a redshirt is the most easily killable entity in the galaxy. i'm reviewing season 1 now, and i can't help but bet against their continous survival every time i see them on the transporter pads before an away mission

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Heh, well, I honestly think RedShirts are replicated between missions... how else can they be so disposable?

17. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

True. The redshirts however are flesh and bone. And are generally killed by exotic means (giant parasite, geological mishap, weaponry etc).

Droids are metallic war machines. For them to be succeptible to a single flesh and bone strike is ridiculous in the extreme.

18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

hey just finish Farscape season 1 and 2. That show is 'frelling' awesome.
    just wondering though if the movie peacekeaper wars is between season 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.
    who followed that show when it aired?

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I'm sure ya'll heard - Michael Jackson passed away yesterday from a massive heart attack, apparently brought on by a session with his personal trainer.

*blinks*

It's the ending of an era...

20. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

I guess Star Trek has won because there hasn't been a Wars reply in quite a while hi5 guys

21. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Don't underestamate the power of the dark side

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The dark side is nothing but a floating fart cloud compared to the power of the THE BLACK KNIGHT! *looses his legs* Doh!

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it's only a flesh wound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.