Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No... no they don't... and no, no they aren't.

You keep grossly over-estimating your own fire power while grossly underestimating ours...

Let me ask you a question: If your shields are so damn powerful... then WHY was Han worried at ALL when Stormtroopers were firing HAND BLASTERS at the Falcon while escaping the Death Star? Unless, of course, your handheld blasters are shooting hundred+ gigaton blasts... in which case why isn't EVERYTHING they hit INSTANTLY vaporized?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well for your equation you do have to program in the fact that the ISD is a Carrier, 72 TIE, 12 Tie Bombers, 12 Assault Shuttles, 6 Lambda Shuttles, and 3 Strike Cruisers are part of her compliment. While these vessels are more fragile than the ISD they are heavily armed by Fed standards so would be a serious threat if ignored.[/QUOTE]

Proof that the ISD bridge tower is FUCKING GONE:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Note the location of the ISD bridge tower- you can't see anything behind it...

IMPACT

AS THE DUST SETTLES:

NOTE - NOW YOU CAN SEE THE WINDOWS AND ENGINES OF THE EXECUTOR THRU THE DEBRIS FIELD - ERGO, THE BRIDGE TOWER IS FUCKING GONE! You can even see a large piece of debris floating around where the tower SHOULD be!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

This is an OVERLAY of the pre-impact and aftermath scenes...

Pretty damn conclusive, is it not?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Size doesnt matter when the size is within a few hundred meters were talking about a couple of kilometers. Size does matter

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, it doesn't...

ANOTHER example:

What's more dangerous to fly into? A Neutron Star or a Red Giant?

What's going to do more damage to you - a small, hyper-sonic projectile, or a large, sub-sonic projectile?

What's going to hurt more? Being hit in the face with a 2x4, or being hit in the face with a 2x4 with a nail in it?

What's going to produce more power? A 100,000 pound conventional warhead, or a 15,000 pound nuclear warhead?

What's going to produce more energy - a 1 sq mile nuclear power plant, or a 50 sq mile coal-burning plant?

What will produce more energy? Annihilating 1 cubic foot of matter with 1 cubic foot of antimatter, or burning 1 million cubic feet of oil?

Size does not matter... efficiency matters... problem is, we simply don't KNOW what kind of engine or power source WH40K uses...

9. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Also, a quantum singularity is a point in space of infinite mass and no volume, it is what makes black holes suck in everything around them. A quantum singularity is what is found inside a black hole, so questioning which is more deadly a supermassive blackhole or a quantum singularity is completely idiotic because they are pretty much the same thing.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Wow... just... just wow...

There are no words... you ADMIT that larger =/= better... and yet you STILL argue that, JUST BECAUSE your ENGINES are huge, your power supply MUST BE as well... and because it MUST be huge, it MUST be better...

There, really, are no words...

And I appologize, I meant a quantum-mechanical black hole, pardon my misuse of the terminology

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I can't provide any specific references at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Soong did indeed design data to gradually become human (or at least, to gradually develop a human-like mind). The idea was that since Lore went crazy when he was created with human emotions etc. from initial activation, Soong hoped that Data could gradually develop a human mind but still be sane if he started out relatively non-human and slowly "worked his way into it." I think this was all explained in that DS9/TNG crossover episode, where Data suddenly started having dreams and met with Soong in a dream sequence (although I'm not entirely sure that was the episode).

Also, wasn't the stuff about data merely being designed to seem human so that people would be comfortable around him just something that Lore told him? If so, there's a good chance it was just BS.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And as for your desire for redefinitions...

What's more dangerous to fly into? A Neutron Star or a Red Giant?

What's going to do more damage to you - a 30mm PGU-13/B High Explosive Incendiary (which weighs 12 oz) fired from a GAU-8 Avenger, which puts it at roughly 3,500 ft/second, or a civil-war era cannon firing a 32 pound solid-shot projectile that's moving at roughly 750 ft/sec?

What's going to produce more energy - a 1 sq mile nuclear power plant, or a 50 sq mile coal-burning plant, both operating at 100% capacity.

What will produce more energy? Annihilating 1 cubic inch of matter with 1 cubic inch of antimatter, or burning 100 thousand cubic inches of oil? This is going by suspension of disbelief - we know for a fact antimatter exists in small quantities, so ignore the fact that currently we can't make that quantity yet. This is also considering that we are using ALL the fuel up as fast as possible.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, Soong developed data to act LESS human so that the others in his colony would be comfortable around him... he also designed him to not be ABLE to become as human, as the colonists feared Data and Lore... I forget the episode in question where it is explained - I'll have to try to find it :shrug: Data did meet with Soong at one point, I forget how, and Soong was... nothing short of amazed at how Data had advanced

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

BTW - TWScott - just got a single image that I think defines you and all your attacks and attempts to suckle from Lucas' tit:

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

If you don't mind put that in grams and meters/second not to be mean but all of the equations are based off of grams and meters it wont work well with feet and pounds.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh... heh, I'll get back to you on that - got a soccer match in a few mins and I don't really know off the top of my head 0o'

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually the figures i have quoted are Lucas and lucasfilm approved G canon. The reasonit is G canon is that it is done by observation of the movies.

As for Han being worried about Blaster rifles being fired at his ship during take off, I had neve ever heard of seen such a thing and if it did exist it might be while powered down the Falcons shields are not up. However i will go with complete non worry as it did not seem Han carred at all if the Falcon got shot, just himself.

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

But you will note that the ISD is substationally farther forward and downard form where it was prior to impact. In fact if you move an image in synch with you would see that the SSD windows that were previously blocked by the ISD tower would no long have been blocked anyways.

Scriptwise and extended scene wise we know the vessel is the Avenger, the ship that later the Milenium Falcon was cling to the twoewr bridge of. So obviously the ship survived unscathed.

Also if you look you can see the outline of the back of the tower in the glow of the Exectutioners engines in the third image.

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Our current level of technology, both would be equally dangerous.

Depend on the target. if fired a person the 30mm shel would just blow a 30mm hole through them. In some parts of the body very survivable. Meanwhile the cannon ball will shatter many bones and rupture man organs thanks to it''s large size.

However you are still barking up wrong tree. You are comparing the technology the wrong way smaller =/= better either.

Depends on how they are designed.

depends on density of the antimatter if it gaseous hydrogen at 10,000 feet above sea level.....

You have to give weights, works much easier.

20. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

From an HE/I round?
    That puts a 1 metre diameter hole in 15mm thick steel and you think that's survivable?

Unless it merely hits a hand.

21. tuberculatious Banned Banned

I prefer Star Trek.

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well for starters the Gau-8 avenger doesnt fire explosive shells nor are they incendiary, they just have a depleted uranium core that adds enough mass to create a significantly larger amount of momentum which translates to more destructive power.

So a 340 gram (12 ounce) gau-8 round moving at 1,066 meters per second, has 363 units of momentum.

A 14.55 kilogram cannon ball moving at around 228.6 meters per second equals around 3,326 units of momentum nearly ten times that of the Gau-8 round.

So in the blunt force category the cannon ball wins by a significant amount. And yes as far as kinetic weaponry goes momentum is the deciding factor of destructive power

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Better tell the USAF then, otherwise they could end up doing something wrong.
    They think they have HE/I rounds.
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2001gun/Tasson2.pdf
    And it's KE that's a measure of destructive power, not momentum.

No it isn't.
    KE is a better measure.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.