Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saquist Banned Banned

I'm extremely skeptical of this information...
    Star Wars.com does not go into such elaborate detail on the shield make up...Infact I've never heard of such a suggestion....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

AND the writer of the book is involved in many ST vs. SW debates, throwing his credibility from a Torpedo Tube while traveling at Warp 9.975

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Wrong. Remember. The Empire has to defend 1.5+ million worlds from Borg Drones which will inevitable come AND attack the Milky Way. If even one planet falls to the Borg, within a month, atleast 5 more cubes will come from there. So on and so forth, the Borg will take over the entire SW Galaxy in search for new technology and alien life.

You HAVE TO REMEMBER that 25,000 ISDs spread over 1.5 million worlds = very vulnerable Empire. They have to enforce the fear in the galaxy far far away AND attack the Milky Way. Impossible. Their resources are WAY too overstretched.

What did we decide about Q?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Well, scientists have said that a cold plsam shield would have the same effects as SW shields, and you need a magnetic field to hold the plasma over the hull. I think that how they do it is extreamly thin layers of North and South magnetic fields that keep the shield together, but are so tightly spaced that they esseintailly create a nuetrally magnetic field that is still magnetic. The North and South poles of each ship's shields prevent the shields from making physical contact with the other ships. Like North on the surface,then south,then north, then south, etc. It is best to think of the Falcon as like an air bubble underwater in the case of its interactions with ships shields. The topmost North layer, or surface of the shields, would repel the other shields surface while the other shields is still being pushed deeper and deeper into the shield. Similar to how an upside down bucket can force air down to the bottom of the pool despite the air trying to go up. Eventually there is no real diffrence between the native and forereign shields when one is inside the other. Of course, the fighters might of esseintially ate rocks, but that does not mean they shoot rocks. There is a very big diffrence between extreamly hot plasma, and magma.

There is still the Hyperspace ram that no one has answered me about.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

We decided the Q > all and thus would win HOWEVER for the sake of the argument we're not using Q.

9. Montec Registered Senior Member

Hello all
    Warp capable ships will run rings around non warp ships in a space battle. The only thing that may balance it out is the "force". And we are not even talking about the strategic use of "time warp" to defeat an opponent in the past. How can the "Q" be defeated?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Q cant be defeated, so we arent including him in the debate.
    You are right. Any Milky Way ship can run rings around any SW ship. If attacked, take out the unshielded bridge, and boom! Down goes the spaceship. SW doesnt stand a chance against a quantum torpedo hitting the hull at Warp 9...

11. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

And we've established that SW ships don't have sheilds am I correct? That cruiser on Ep. III I talked about earlier would have had some preliminary damage if you say it's sheilds were disabled prior to the attack on greivous's ship, yet it looked as good as new.

12. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

I don't fully understand why novels are canon in SW, I mean what if a book contradicts another book, or even a film?!? What the hell was Lucas thinking?!? (I'll be damned if Lucas has his ashes shot into space... "Dammit Jim I'm a freeloader not a visionary!" But since James Doohan helped take a part of Gene's vision I think that fitting.)

13. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

But those Indiana Jones movies were good, but they were done mostly by

Paramount

And we know what was created by them.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

heh... Star Wars is Science Fantasy
    Star Trek is Science Ficition

Fiction can become Fact
    Fantasy can, possibly, maybe become Fiction.

But Star Trek rules overall for what it is... Star Wars is a FUN AND EXCITING ride, but Star Trek is something that you can follow and appreciate the vision within.

15. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

No, Enterprise-B we have not established it becuase it is false. Get that through your head. Thet are shielded, your just nit-picking to find examples where the shields were down and using that as "proof" that they weren't shielded. Think with your head, not your ass.

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

TW Sweetie...clearly you have a problem with the English language. When I say writers "intend" I was supporting my statament that you cannot plausibly know what distance a curvature route is on a monitor/tv screen. Only the episode's creators can tell you what distance is actually meant - if they even considered it at all, the depth perception, not to mention camera motion will make your estimate next to useless.

This sounds contrived and ridiculous. You mean to say that a capital ship would have major holes in shields (that only you and one other assert, since many of us see no shielding), not to mention unable to fire successfully on the fighter?

Yet another contrived excuse for weak defenses. This also shows bad leadership. Cutting corners on a military machine????

Actually, I'm well aware of the size of the ships. Defiant is 120m, Sabers are 364m, BoPs are 110m. My point was TW, that by visuals, Wars capital ships are extremely vulnerable to losing to the underdog. A BoP or two would probably fly low on a Darth's SSD (I say "a" Darth since Vader is dead) and fire a lucky torpedo into some sort of hole that would cause a destructive cascading effect.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  17. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

No. SW ships have shields.
    Damned ineffective though.
    Prood: The behemoth of the executor can lose its shields around its supposedly most shielded area by bombardment by a few "puny" rebel idiots.

18. Montec Registered Senior Member

Hello all

I think a "Genius bomb" would be very effective in taking out planetary systems. Warp in, drop bomb, warp out, end of system. Come back in a few weeks and repopulate.

19. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Those few puny were focusing the combined firepower of about 15 capital ship on it. And the shield generator was destroyed. If that thing can withstand bombardment by 15 capital ships for an hour or so long battle, and then lose its abiity to regenerate the shields, what does that tell you.

And the shields are their. We do not assert it. It is true. Its just that people who are used to watching Trek think that the shields will be visible for about 12 seconds when their hit. That doesn't happen in SW. There is a flash, not a huge revealing of the shields thing that ST does where half the shield glows.

20. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Once Wars shields are down, Beam the bridge crew out. Beam a Photon Torpedo in! BOOM! Huge explosion.
    In Star Trek: Armada games (not canon, I know), ships were shown to beam bombs over to unshielded enemies.

What one thing I have never understood is why didnt the Enterprise just increase gravity in areas where the enemy have been boarded?
    Definitely possible...

Did any of the Wars dudes answer my self-replicating mines?

21. killallewoks Registered Member

executer

star trek have the advantage of boarding ships using transporters once the shields are down.

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

This tells me that the capital ships weapons are next to useless. Or they have godawful aim.

No, it's just that I clearly don't have the imagination that you do, and can't visualize shields onscreen that do not protect ship hulls.

(Side note: Stargate shields operate similar to Trek. As did ID4. i.e. they were evident!)

PS...Wars shields from what I've seen are only used in such circumstances as holding the pressure in an airlock/docking bay or keeping lifeforms away from dangerous power plants (eg where the Darth Maul fight took place). That'd be a use for a shield generator other than battle shields.

23. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Simple, it's inefficient and doesn't guarantee anything. The Borg would be completely unaffected. Klingons would still fight against it, as would Romulans. Plus the deck plating might collapse under the strain of gravity they'd have to generate to even hold a Borg party (eg) in place.

A better strategy would be to eliminate gravity all together to disorient your enemy. Which has been done (Undiscovered Country).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.