Science Fiction Recommendations

Discussion in 'Sci Reviews' started by Apoloto, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Another vote for Heinlein. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was my first read of his, and still favorite.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That's the big problem with watching the movie first, you hardly ever get around to reading the book. Where as if you like the book you will always watch the movie.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ScribJellyDonut Registered Senior Member

I'd say that's because the movie stints your imagination by already having drawn out the majority of the book according to the director's imagination. Plus you know what's going to happen long before it happens so it feels like quite a waste of time especially if the book isn't too good to begin with.

When you read the book first you already have your own thoughts of the characters. Seeing the movie is just like seeing someone else's take on the book. On top of that you usually get the cool eye candy to go along with it. And if it doesn't hold your attention that long - well it'll be over in a few hours or less anyways.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

That's an excellent book...actually, I have yet to read anything by Haldeman I didn't like.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So many to choose from.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy comes to mind. It's a hilarious mix of SciFi and comedy. You may have seen the movie, but it doesn't hold a candle to the book. There were several books originally, but you can now purchase them all in one.

One of my more recent favorites is Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton. Classic space opera.

Anything by Larry Niven is good. I especially recommend Ring World, Lucifer's Hammer and The Mote in God's Eye.

If you like military SciFi, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber is excellent. The first book of that series is called On Basilisk Station. My first exposure to David Weber was Mutineer's Moon, which was also a great read.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That was a great write up for Pandora's Star, now I really want to read the book.

It is AD 2380, and humanity has colonized over six hundred planets, all interlinked by wormholes. With Earth at its center, the Inter solar Commonwealth has grown into a quiet, wealthy society, where rejuvenation allows its citizens to live for centuries.

When astronomer Dudley Bose observes a star over a thousand light years away vanish, imprisoned inside a force field of immense size, the Commonwealth is anxious to discover what actually happened. As conventional wormholes can't reach that far, they must build the first faster-than-light starship. Captained by Wilson Kime, an ex-NASA astronaut a little too eager to relive his old glory days, the Second Chance sets off on its historic voyage of discovery.

But someone or something out there must have had a very good reason for sealing off an entire star system. And if the Second Chance finds a way in, what might be let out?

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That is an excellent book. One of my favorites. It's full of fascinating ideas and concepts against the backdrop of an exciting story.

I've also added links for the other books I listed..

12. superstring01 Moderator

"Dune" - (and the entire Dune Chronicles) Frank Herbert
    "Bloom" - Wil McCarthy
    "Seeker" - Jack McDevit
    "3001" - Arthur C. Clarke

~String

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

It seems we share a common taste in SciFi and of all your recomendations the only one I haven't read yet was Pandora's Star. So thank you for that.

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Of course, Dune. I cant believe nobody has mentioned it already. But would you recommend skipping 2001 and all the other novels in the series and jumping straight to 3001?

Regarding Jack McDevit, I've read The Engines of God and most it's sequels, but never read Seeker. I'll check it out.

Have you read Old Man's War?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  15. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Iain M Banks: The Player of Games, and Use of Weapons are works of sublime genius. Not exactly space-opera though.

And the Sten Chronicles are good if you like a military-esque story... 8 books by Allan Cole and the late Chris Bunch.

Also, in the vein of Hornblower... the Seafort Saga (Midshipman's Hope, Challenger's Hope etc) by David Feintuch are good light reading.

But if you're looking for a standout book that had me reading it almost in a single sitting: "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Spellbinding.

16. superstring01 Moderator

No. I just loved 3001. It wasn't action packed. . . but I loved it nonetheless. I loved Clarke's view of a utopian future.

~String

17. superstring01 Moderator

Just insta-Kindled "Pandora's Star" on your testimony, Mad.

I've been looking for a good Scifi book and I hope this is it.

Though, I hated everything Niven (another writer you liked) ever wrote.

~String

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Hope you like it. It's one of my favorites. If you do, although it's definitely a complete story all by itself, it is also part a a series called The commonwealth saga.

Ever read any F Paul Wilson? I like two of his books. One is Black Wind. The other is The LaNague Chronicles.

19. Apoloto Eat your veggies now SHEWT EP! Registered Senior Member

Why does that not sound right? XD

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I read most of Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke as a kid. A lot of good stuff there. In his later years, Clarke took to writing in collaboration with others, and the results weren't as good. As well as writing SciFi, both Clarke and Asimov wrote a lot of science non-fiction for general readers - that is also well worth reading. Both of these guys inspired my interest in science.

Off the top of my head, the best current SF authors are British.

Peter F. Hamilton's first series consisting of The Reality Disfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God is great space opera, albeit with a bit too much fixation on the sex lives and interests of the various characters. Hamilton's next series has been mentioned previously in this thread.

Iain M. Bank's Culture novels are all good fun, though more cerebral than Hamilton's. Banks is the thinking person's SF writer. His Culture takes the idea of a libertarian, technologically advanced society to its logical conclusion. The vast majority of humans in the Culture do nothing except amuse themselves. The society is overseen by AIs, and protected by them where necessary. The novels themselves usually involve some type of AI-led intervention by the Culture in the affairs of some less advanced society - technically a no-no as the Culture supposedly follows something like the "Prime Directive" of Star Trek. But when there are Special Circumstances...

If you want to start at the start with Banks, try Consider Phlebas.Excession is another one that sticks in the mind, as is The Player of Games.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

22. herbbread Registered Member

My favorite scifi book of all time has got to be "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Verner Vinge. The universe he creates is so complex and deep, and sucks you in completely.

I agree with a lot of the other suggestions including the Foundation series, Dune, and some of the Heinlein books. I should check out Pandora's Star.

23. ScribJellyDonut Registered Senior Member

Finished The Stars my Destination the other day. Thanks Repo Man it was quite nice, and actually ended with what I thought was a clear message to the reader.

:edit: I believe I will move onto Pandora's Star next, or A Fire Upon the Deep. :edit: