The religious/historical significance of the Dome of the Rock.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, May 27, 2008.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: This is a subject I don't know much about and would like to learn. Thus far, I've read that this location was the alleged site of the Holy Seplechur (Jesus's tomb), but it was also the alleged location of Abraham's near sacifrice of Isaac. The Dome of the Rock is significant to both Islam and Christianity. There are also claims that the Ark of the Covenant is buried there in the depths. There may be other events that happened in that area, but I don't know what they were. Does anyone want to discuss this miraculous piece of real estate?
    ~ M*W

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

This little spot of land is in the center of the Temple Mount, where the second Jewish Temple was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem.

The Christian plan is to build the New Temple on the site to kick start Armageddon. The more militant Jews have similar plans. Problem is the site is owned by the Muslims. (Ministry of Awqaf in Kuwait)

Get your tickets at Ticketmaster.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Amazing how these folks get along...the evangelical Christians cheering on the orthodox Jews over the the re-building the temple, while condemning them to hell for their refusal to accept Jesus.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Evelyonian Registered Senior Member

The Dome of the Rock is also where Muslims claim Muhammad ascended into Heaven.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: That's what's so confusing to me. What was so special about that rock that all those events (allegedly, of course) took place on that very site? I am assuming that there were other rocks in the area where they could have performed their miracles.

Another question I just thought of. Has any other event occurred on that rock since Muhammad ascended to heaven?

9. The Evelyonian Registered Senior Member

Well, according to the Roman-era Midrash the rock at the heart of the Dome of the Rock (the Foundation Stone as it's called) was the first part of the world that God brought into existence and the rest of the world was formed out of it.

As the navel is set in the centre of the human body,
    so is the land of Israel the navel of the world...
    situated in the centre of the world,
    and Jerusalem in the centre of the land of Israel,
    and the sanctuary in the centre of Jerusalem,
    and the holy place in the centre of the sanctuary,
    and the ark in the centre of the holy place,
    and the Foundation Stone before the holy place,
    because from it the world was founded.

Also, according to Islamic tradition all of the Prophets at one point or another prayed at the site of the Foundation Stone. (I'll try to find a source on that. I'm still researching)

As far as any other events occuring after Muhammad's ascension I honestly don't know.