Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

G level canon is the highest for Star Wars, and the first official canon material. The book states that TLs can only vaporize a small town. Read the rest of my posts for more on this subject.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

If a TL can "vaporise" a small town it would be more powerfulle than the hiroshimabomb who left some buildings standing. and you say "only".
    I find that powerfull enough and then there are the heavy turbolazers and Superlazers.

For torpedo's i've posted some questions a few pages ago but no-one seems willing to answer. not even scott. maybe there stupid questions butt i tink many people how aren't so into this STvsSW stuff will have the same.

And an army can't be measured by his firepower alone. Or your us military wouldn't have any problem in Iraq or Afganistan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Please repost them Vasago and I will do my best

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

When scott and yourself accompanied bij hellblade start posting the pages start flying

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The USS Enterprise-D had lower "callibur" torpedos if you will. They had smaller launchers and weaker torps combared to the upgraded ones used in current Trek tech. Also, the asteroid was big enough to engulf the ship WITH room to manuver (if you are talking about the episode I am thinking about)

To fully destroy an asteroid of such size WOULD require a lot more warheads than, say, an asteroid roughly the size of Voyager (a much smaller vessel)

And the multiplying stuff you refer to is Naquadah

9. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Thx for the info.

But yet is Saquist is wright a 25isoton would be able to wipe out america,canada a a part of mexico. So if you trow lets say 5 on earth, there would be anything left. I think that a bit to much, don't you ?

If a vessel can have let's say about 20 of them on board (or some 90iso..)
    if they where fired simultaniosly no shield could withstand ST or SW.
    I think we must take the numbers down a little, don't you agree?

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

And you should consider that every race has his turning point.
    Feds will probably aid the rebels in there fight against the empire.
    If you give quark the control over cloudcity he will give the empire every info they need. ferengi would sell out there own mother when they can ern a buck.

This thread is more UFP against EMpire than STvsSW

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not really:

TriCobalt devices are just that- they are highly destructive weapons. They are the artilliary equivalent of Photon torpedos.

Just like we have your standard 120mm Main BattleTank Gun, Trek has Photon Torpedos. Phasers = their vulcan cannons. Quantum Torps = their howitzers. The TriCobalt device would be their power level equal to our Talmn-N Tomahawk cruise missile (Talmn-N refers to the Nuclear warhead)

So it all evens out.

The Federation likes to use Diplomacy more than pure brute force. Otherwise they'd simply arm every ship with as many weapons as they could.

And Quark has shown loyalty to the Federation on more than one occasion. That and Rom (his son I believe) actually saved the Federation by disabling DS9 during the Cardassian occupation before they could obliterate the minefield.

And you are right- it is more UFP vs Empire, which is a clearcut UFP victory once the Federation goes on the offensive. ST v SW may be very different (there are some damn powerful races in Wars but there are too in Trek)

12. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

The Fed. would side with the Empire!

Lest they incur the wrath of the emperor!

13. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I must agree

14. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

@kittamaru

I'm still puzzled how the hell a torpedo can be fired in warp. You say phasers can't because you would hit your own ship ( that seem very logical indeed)
    but doesn't a ship like voyager need to compress more space than a cofinsized torpedo? so doen't the torpedo have to travel trought the space that voyager is compressing? I guess that would sqeuze the torpedo to a size smaller than a pee ? Or i'm i so terribly wrong?

The same thing aplies when a torpedo is chasing a ship. How the hell can it compress the same space a lot larger vessel is expanding? It would we pulled apart.

Here's one for ya: how come in ST aswell as in SW a ship never loses his artificial gravity. I mean there are parts flying of your ship, powerfailures, core breaches ...... yet everyone is just walking around:bugeye:

would be nice though seeing worf and chewbacca fight in zero gravity.

15. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I still think that a blastradius isn't a good tool to calculate the power of a torp or missile or bomb. Seeming that is space there is almost nothing to stop the blast infact it could almost go on forever.

So can't we presume that devices used in space are less powerfull?

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Rubbish. Where have you ever seen that? The only time a Queen was killed was in FC and STVOY: Endgame. In both instances, the entire Borg complex/ship/collective were poisoned (FC by a plasma cloud, STVOY by a neurovirus), so the Queen necessarily had to die with the rest of the drones.

Given, however, this is the closest canon that shows that the Borg are immune to mind tricks. She has stated on screen that she cannot sense an individual mind to affect. If she can't how the hell can any telepath? YOU cannot assume that the Borg CAN be affected by a telepath just because you think SW telepaths are superior.

Sh*t, or else Obi Wan would have escaped his energy bonds that Lord Dukhu had him in on Episode 1. He had to wait to be rescued.

Yes, they no longer affect the physical realm.

And? 12 Trillion + 1 trillion is still trillions. Tuvok, Janeway and Paris (in rescuing Seven) discovered a SINGLE Borg complex with trillions of drones. Out of the entire Delta Quadrant.

PS I'm seeing Coruscant as populated by 2.8 Trillion, not 12. Provide me a link?

Seven of Nine has used Borg modulations countless of times to enhance both Voyager and the Delta Flyer. In Season 5, they encountered a subspace phenomenon that generated 30 million terajoules of energy. To facilitate an exploration mission, Seven proceded to modify the Delta Flyer's shield via her Borg knowledge (as stated by her) to withstand the phenomenon. It stands to reason that the Borg have the capability (if not the reflex to know when to implement it...they have to lose a couple Cubes before they DO 'modulate' shields).

PS If the puny Delta Flyer can withstand THAT on it's limited power, think of what Voyager can. Heck, think of what Enterprise E can!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  17. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Warp is a dodgy concept anyway. If you compress space you'd just move more slowly through that region. And your spaceship would also look squished.

Worm holes on the other hand... now you can speculate beyond whatever the writers have 'said it is', since they theoretically exist(?).

18. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Actually, what Riker said is that it would take most of their torps to destroy it, however, we don't know how many torps they had. Remember that a Galaxy class starship is basicly self supplying, so they hardly ever need to return to dock save to reload on photons torps and repairs. And remember, there was a ship in there. Riker said that they should destroy it to stop the Romulans from getting the ship inside. Not only that, but Riker was eager to destroy it, wanting to erase his shameful past. So in all likelyhood, Riker said something in the heat of a moment to ensure the total destruction of starship inside.

Also, remember that thing was huge, outright massive. It was akin to watching a submarine searching the bottom trenches of the sea. The Enterprise was incredibly small compared to it. In fact, Data refered to it as a planetary body.

19. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

That would be too much. In the Die is Cast, assuming that the photons did even half the damage on screen, it would place them in the ranges of 14 million Megatons. Lowest yield (assuming the torps only did 10%) would be 24 thousand megatons, and the highest yield (assuming they did most of the damage) is closer to around 20 billion megatons.

Mind you, these are also likely their strongest yield torps. However, that is more than enough to obliterate an enemy ship. In actuallity, UFP ships carry several ships with a range of yields. Stronger ones can be used at greater ranges, and weaker ones at shorter ranges. Its also been speculated that more recent photons hold weaker firepower, but greater shield penetration abilities, allowing them to use weapons with weaker yields, but still blast past the shielding.

20. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Phasers can be fired at warp, its just that they're next to worthless when done so. This is because when the phasers pass through the warp field and enteres another one, its often reduced so greatly in power compared to sub-light speeds. Not to mention the extra power spent to send them at light speed. Photons have warp engines, as well as shields. This is the reason why they aren't shot down or can enter a sun or tear through a planet to reach a said point to detonate.

As for gravity...its really because it wouldn't make the show dramatic.

21. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Let me put this to rest once and for all.

1. The "asteroid" was so large that the Enterprise, the science vessel and the Romulan Warbird were all dwarfed by it. In fact, Enterprise D fit inside a tunnel in the "asteroid". The Warbird (twice the length of Enterprise D) looked like Mr. Peanut compared to the rock.

2. The reason that Riker said it would take ALL their torpedoes is because they needed to utterly decimate the massive asteroid AND the Oberth Class starship inside, which contained a phase cloaking device. Picard (who didn't know about the cloak at first) and Riker (who did) were under orders from the Admiral responsible to achieve that if they could not stop the Romulans from discovering that secret.

3. A single photon torpedo is capable of vaporizing a "normal size" asteroid (like the one used for those flaky SW calculations). This canon is seen in Voyager, S3...Janeway commits to helping a society from bombardment by asteroids. When they fire a single torpedo, Chakotay looks at the screen in consternation "That asteroid should have been vaporized". (It was not because it was artificial, it was armored inside and installed with guidance circuitry...an attack). Bear in mind that the artificial asteroid was still shattered.

22. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

Actually, Riker did say most of their photons. He did not say all of them.

Another good point.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Artificial gravity is created by the ships being so massive (a large mass can have gravity) as well as the SIF helping out.

As for the torps- they have their own warp field, making them immune to the compression of another ships warp field. They are able to make warp on their own as they can catch ships at warp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.