Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

See, he completely ignored Hellblades argument and instead went with something he knew couldn't be refuted because it is based on hypothetical situations covering an opinion of a person.

Grow up Scott. My ten year old brother can argue a point better than you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Homer reading a book named Internet for dummies. Homer yells, "MARGE! They have the internet on computers now."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

I wish I had fed energy conversion charts.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I actually had this same WTF?! moment when I saw First Contact, and for once, Voyager actually helped to fix this problem. You see, the Borg often milk a few resistant (but not too powerful groups) to test new ways of assimilation. They could be doing this to the Federation, because keep in mind that the UFP is nothing compared to them, five ships alone would have raped the force that the UFP sent to the fight off the second invasion. Another reason is that the last time the UFP beat them, the Borg only lost because of Picard being taken back and used against them. It also seems that the Borg decided to test out another invasion, this one I think included a few cubes and a sphere, but Voyager destroyed them on its way to the Alpha Quadrent.

And the Borg wouldn't send a thousand ships after the first one was destroyed, the standard thing to do would be to send ten ships. See Q Who? for more details.

8. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Seeing as you just claimed that a space faring group is only capable of tossing out 20 tons of TNT when we clearly saw a group equal to them in power destroying 30% of a planet's crust, I wouldn't see that as too hard to imagine.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If Star trek firepower is 20 tons of TNT, Star Wars firepower is about the same as a cold supersoaker.

10. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Had the feds had transphasic torpedos...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Jesus Christ, a group so technologically advanced compared to the IMPs, I calculated right.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

While this may be true, I think it's safe to say some of the new anti-borg ships are doing quite nicely.

Pit the Big E-E, the USS Soveriegn, the USS SanPaulo (the new Avenger), and the USS Defiant with a few Norway class frigates against a single cube invasion and I think things will play out very much in the Federations favor.

13. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

14. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Oh, yeah its canon alright, but its not G-Level canon and it does not agree with what we see in G-Level Canon. Your suggesting that HTLs are at least 12.5 Gigatons and yet their medium Turbolasers are only about 2 or 5 megatons at the most. Given at best that HTLs would be about twice as strong as their normal counter parts, or even up to 4x as powerful (actually really fair of me), it at most comes to 8-20 megatons. Nothing compared to the firepower of a UFP ship. More likely around 4-10 megatons

And by the way, before you claim that the ships I'm taking my quote from an outdated ship, its only twenty years out of date, highely unlikely that they went from a handful of megatons to gigatons in less than twenty years.

And adding to the fact that Han himself said it was impossible for the entire fleet to accomplish, its sorta a hands down explination of just how weak Imperial firepower is.

15. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Scott just won't give up on the 12.5 gigaton, thing when his "visual" claims in the movies are just obvious coverups due to undefinate intentions in the movies. The I just watched ESB a few days ago, and the asteroids weren't vaporized. Plus you can tell SW sheilds are pitiful becuase they don't defend ships against asteroids.

16. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Oh come now, it would actually be more akin to the energy that I use to bend my knee...

17. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Transporter tech is ST is neat but why Is it the only sci-fi that uses it?
    St creators used it because the of screemtime problems. They couldn't afford long shuttle movement between ships. Allthough maybe eventually humans invent transporters it would be for cargo only. One miniscule falt and i wouldn't wanna see how you get at your destination. good example is "The fly"

Butt it defenatly is neat.

18. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Can't be too hard, the UFP made a virus that could kill a race of gelationus shape shifters. And yeah, it is needed for the force. You can thank Lucas for taking a shit on your franchise later, but for now, the point remains. Oh, and the fact that the UFP ships and people aren't part of the force means that Vader wouldn't be able to sense them, they would in fact, be a void in the force.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Lord Vasago, there are attempts at transporter technology today.

We have already successfuly "transported" photons of light from point A to point B without traveling thru realspace. The problem is the very real Heisenburg Uncertenty principal.

SubAtomic particles are SO small that our best methods of detecting them send them flying across space. Thus we can NOT both MOVE a sub atomic particle AND know where they are. We need a smaller sensor which, to be honest, I dont' know if we can make anytime soon.

We tried transporting a potted plant but it was a complete failure.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Just like the 'Vong right? They don't have Midochlorians, so the Jedi were unable to simply sense them. Or was that their pet things... the jedi killers as they were so lovingly called?

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I'm well aware of that. And yeah, its pretty dangerous, and there are people who don't like transporters, including Bones, Lt. Barcley, and that bitch doctor from the second or third season of TNG. But given what was said in a specific episode about the transporters, thousands of people use them on a daily basis and never have a problem. Starships are really the only exception given that not even a month can pass by without some kind of weird shit going on. Frankly, they feel lucky when its only the transporter.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Exactly, neither of these groups ar part of the Force.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Hardly, at the time Luke only had a year of formal training. I was referring to Luke later in life circa Betrayal

First of Sith are extremely talented at hiding that evil when needed. Witness Sidious.

Second the crew trusts Picard, sometimes his unorthodox or plain questionable orders have saved their lives when going another route would have killed them

third Picard could just order the computer to drop shields.

I don't care if you excuse my french, but how fucking stupid are you. First of all I am not the one who wrote the script and failed to realize Isoton was a real measurement. Second getting a fleet to abandon a system is just as effective destroying ship, you just herd them around until you have them pinned. Or did you think the only way to win is smash the enemy?

Were they firing Photon Torpedos? No The were using Plasma Torpedoes, specially prepared ionic torpedoes, and tri-colbalt devices. But that is the Romulans and Cardassians for you/

Given enough time they could level a planet, hell same can be said of aircraft carriers today.

Easy, the weapon in question was designed for area of effect sort of a reverse C4 which is more powerful that TNT but makes a smaller blast radius.

A: Photon cuased Long range shuttles warp core to breach.

B: Enough of any explosive can do that, doesn't mean it is used as everyday weapon.

Interesting quote there he was afraid he might vaporize an atmosphere. Just for the EXTREMELY bad science of that quote, i would have to say Mr. Scott was either drunk or having a blonde moment.

What they couldn't have had well designed powerpacks from their hand weapons and still have crappy ship weapons. Look the hand phaser of TOS is great, but in TNG they gimped it, an overloaded phaser is no more threat than a grenade.

Was level 16 enough to do that or was Riker bluffing? Since we never saw it done it is no different than the corbomite maneuver.

As for the Antimatter bomb well they were mixing together far more than they put inot a Photont torpedo

So yes, tell me all about how the UFP has weapons that don't exceed 20 tons worth of TNT. For you see, you have one small showing of weakness, and I have more than a couple handfuls of Star Trek firepower out the whazoo. So either you can cut the bullshit and back down now, or explain to me how all these events can be achived via 20 tons of TNT.:frust:

First of all No photon torpedoes where used in the assault on the supposed Founder homeworld. Specially prepared Plasma and Ionic torpedoes were used and undoubtedly tri-colbalt devices. I can say this with 100% certainity as neither Romulans or Cardassiaos use Photon Torpedoes

Second a Small Town can be 10 miles in radius. For a beam weapon to strike the center and vaporize the whole town is a feat that does require such a weapon.

In the end it comes down to it is repeated numerous times that the measurement is isoton which littlerall is 10^0 tons. Don't blame me, blame script writers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.