How to prove spiritual orbs in photos?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by wegs, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I DO agree. See how the skeptics go from lense flare to handheld flashlights to flashlights on string? That's why I try to present VIDEO evidence of orbs. There's certainly lots of videos of what looks to be dust specks or insects. But in time I'm able to find some that defy those explanations. More to come..See post #79.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

We're only doing our best. No need to hurt our feelings.
    We're human too you know.
    Nobody likes us poor sceptics.

Plus, if I'm a career sceptic, when are my wages arriving?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Are practitioners of Infra Red Photography seeing the orbs?
    Surely you would get clearer images using special cameras sensitive to the light they emit?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Does anyone think that orbs are responsible for crop circles?
    I do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Invitation. To all Orbs.
    A Grand, Midsummer Eve, "Dance of the Orbs".
    Venue. Third cornfield on the left, just after the fairy rings.

(music provided by Roy Orbison, deceased)

Orbs from all over, rushing to the event.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

9. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

Jeez, folks! Are you all cats chasing a laser pointer across the floor? Except for the "bird like phenomenon", all the rest were obvious spots of light on the walls, floors, or ceilings. The "bird like" thing looked to be a reflection of something bright, perhaps the guitar switch, onto the camera lens.

Really, YAWN!!

10. Anew Life isn't a question. Banned

I myself have seen orbs and sparks of light, some call such astral life.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"It has long been speculated that if ghosts do manifest, they do so slightly within the infrared spectrum. This is a possibility considering that infrared is a longer wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum and requires less energy than light that is visible to our eyes.

We can see from about 400 nanometers to about 700+ nanometers. Infrared extends past this. Near infrared is what we are working with. It ranges from just over 700 nanometers to past 1500 nanometers.

We get orbs of light that are not visible to our eyes when the photo is taken. Many of these can be explained away as dust or moisture, but a few may not be dust or moisture. If we can’t see them, then why do they show up on our photos? This is possibly due to the fact that film and digital cameras can “see” longer into the infrared spectrum than the human eye can. This is easy to prove with a digital camera. Point any remote control from a TV or VCR toward the lens of the camera. Push any button on the remote and if you see a light in the view screen, your camera is sensitive to the near infrared spectrum.

If the supposition were true that some of these orbs are visible in the infrared spectrum, then it would stand to reason that infrared photography would be useful in capturing images of apparitions. While there is no hard and fast data to prove this, it would stand to reason that this is an area for exploration.

Infrared photography, however, is fraught with problems. Infrared film is expensive. I have found it on Amazon.com for $11.49-$11.99 per 36 exposure roll. There is no guarantee that it will be in good condition when it arrives. It is difficult to handle, as it must be kept cool at all times. It must be loaded and unloaded in complete darkness. Much experimentation is necessary to find what works best in your camera. Unless you have your own darkroom, finding a lab that will develop it is very difficult.

All of these problems make the practical use of infrared film very difficult for the average person. Infrared photography did hold promise, however. There are two photographs that proved that there was merit to the concept.

Paranormal investigator Dale Kaczmarek and his team captured a photograph of a woman sitting on a bench in Bachelor’s Grove cemetery in August of 1991. The team that caught the photograph was using black and white infrared film. This image is unusually clear and defined. This photograph has been the subject of much debate, but to date no one has offered a “rational” explanation for this photograph.

In 1978, an unlikely haunting was happening in Sunnyvale, California. A Toys-R-Us store was experiencing a great deal of paranormal phenomena. Finally they contacted psychic Sylvia Brown who attempted to contact the entity there that she called “Yohan.” She brought with her, on the night of the séance, a videographer and a still photographer using infrared film. The resulting photograph shows what appears to be a person standing in the aisle looking toward the group that was present. There are many differing opinions on the photograph, some supportive, some critical. If this photograph is genuine, then it is one of the best shots ever taken of a supposed apparition.

All of this was running through my mind as I considered the dilemma of how to use infrared photography in our work as paranormal investigators. I was further frustrated by the fact that one of my favorite sites, the Gettysburg National Military Park, was being restricted for nighttime photography. Night access is very restricted on the field and most investigators take their photos at night. At Gettysburg, this leaves only about an hour of darkness during the summer and slightly more during the off-season.

Most investigators use infrared cameras such as a Sony NightShot to film at night. They can shoot infrared video and poor quality infrared stills with this camera, but what about day video and higher quality infrared shots? We see moving orbs at night on the video cameras that we use because the NightShot is specifically designed to record in infrared when switched to the NightShot mode. Again, there are many explanations for these orbs and you are entitled to your own opinion. But, how do we film this phenomenon during the day? Those images were still only possible with the use of standard infrared film, or were they?

My thought was that if a digital camera is infrared sensitive, I could possibly block out the visible light and leave only infrared. I looked over literally hundreds of websites on photography and discovered that it is possible to take infrared photos in daylight without having to buy and process expensive infrared film. The solution was simple, use an infrared filter on a digital camera. How did I arrive at this conclusion?

Digital cameras use CCDs, or charged couple devices to record the image instead of film. They are sensitive to the infrared spectrum. If you place an infrared filter such as a Wratten 87B or Hoya R72 on the camera, you can filter out most visible light. By doing this, you are now able to take infrared photos in broad daylight.

There are some drawbacks to this system, however. With digital still infrared photography, you need bright sunlight and a tripod. The filter (I use a Hoya R72) requires a time exposure of ½ to 1 second. This is too long for taking a freehand photo. If your camera does not support the threads on the filter, simply use plumber’s Teflon tape to secure the filter in front of the lens. It will not leave any adhesive residue when it is removed.

In addition to placing the camera on a tripod, it is necessary to take multiple photos from the same angle in order to compare them with others in the series. It is also imperative to have at least one other person with you while you are taking photographs, that way; there is verification that no one was in the frame when the photo was taken. Because of the distances involved, anyone in your frame, even at a distance will be visible. Anyone moving in the distance will appear as a blur. This is where multiple observers are a great asset to the session.

If you set a video camera next to your still camera, you can have a record of everything that transpired during your photography session. This will also serve as verification of the events in front of the camera.

The first person outside of the Ghost Research Foundation to evaluate this new technique was Mark Nesbitt. Mark is an author, historian, paranormal investigator and the foremost authority on the history and hauntings in Gettysburg. I had taken a photo at Devil’s Den in Gettysburg that showed two apparitions that were not visible in the frame at the time the photo was taken. Mark was kind enough to give us his opinion and permission to use it.

“No longer are ghost investigators limited to time restraints placed by historical sites; paranormal photographs can be taken in broad daylight and results can be seen practically instantaneously. The technique more than doubles the amount of time an investigator can work a site, increasing the odds of capturing the elusive full apparition, and proving, as we all know, that ghosts don’t just come out at night.” - Mark Nesbit

Craig Rupp took a photograph on Little Round Top that shows an apparition looking over the rock that is home to General Warren’s statue. A comparison photograph, taken later, shows that the ground is currently too high to reproduce a similar effect.

Still cameras are not the only way to work with infrared in the daylight. There are filters available for video cameras as well. Most video cameras will accept a threaded filter. Use a Sony TRV-480 with an M&K 1000 filter. This allows me to use the NightShot feature in broad daylight without damage to the camera. Using infrared filters now gives paranormal investigators the ability to conduct investigations during the day at sites that are normally inaccessible at night. Once more investigators start using these methods, I believe we will see some surprising results."---http://tnspirits.com/resources/Photography.htm

Examples of infrared photos of ghosts:

Toys R Us ghost photo:

Amityville infrared photo of boy:

"These photos were taken on an South Jersey Ghost Research investigation on 3/26/08 by Dave Juliano on 2nd floor of the Burlington County Prison Museum pointing toward the stair way to the right of the death row cell. Camera used was a FE100 Olympus digital camera mounted to a Yukon Night Vision Scope Multi-Task 2X24 YK24021 with the infrared illuminator on. This scope and camera were on stationary tripod. So far we have found no natural reason for these photos. They are currently being reviewed by military nightvision experts. Two weeks later on an investigation of a private business, another full body apparition photo was obtained using the same camera rig." (Taken from (http://www.sjgr.org) - See more at: http://www.spookypics.com/2011/12/ir-cam-catches-apparition.html#sthash.fEQWwufV.dpuf

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty well finished with this thread as I see far more emotion than logic in it. When people are logical it's possible to help them understand things properly - but when emotions are driving their thoughts it's pretty much a lost cause to even try.

But before I go I wanted to mention something I saw on TV last night. It's a new show on the ABC network and I caught only a few minutes of it and don't plan on watching it, really. It's too predictable for one thing. The name of the show is "Would You Fall For That" - or something very similar. Basically all it's doing is showing how HIGHLY gullible people can be.

In the one segment I watched, they had an actor present himself as a highly-respected astrologer. They went to some fairly great lengths to make him appear genuine. Several (I think it was 5 or 6) ordinary people were invited to attend an event that included a private session with him in which he generated an individual horoscope for each of them personally.

Actually, though, what he told each one was exactly the same. Like any astrologer, his "reading" was couched in such general terms that it would fit absolutely anyone. For example, one item was, " Your primary goal in life is to achieve security."

Naturally, they all fell for it.

My point in all this is quite simple as related to the topic of this thread: when people want to believe something strongly enough, even the slimmest, most ridiculous piece of "evidence" will serve to prove their belief.

And with that, I bid you adieu.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Typical skeptic tactic--conflating a spurious and deceptive practice like astrological reading with the well-documented field of paranormal investigation.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If Orbs give out Infra Red, then a suitable Camcorder should pick them up with the Camcorder's internal Infra Red Light turned off.
    This would stop sceptics saying that it was insects and such reflecting light.
    No light no reflection. Just Orbs.
    Any been found like this?

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I just posted some IR pics of ghosts during the daytime, obviously with no infrared light shining on them. So no..IR images without IR light will obviously NOT stop skeptics from making up more excuses.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

But are there orb images on camcorders with no extra light?
    It is specifically the extra light glinting off out of focus flecks of dust, raindrops etc,
    which is pointed out as a possible cause.

You must see that it is a possible cause of at least some of the orbs.
    I have photos of snow falling in which the out of focus snowflakes look just like orbs.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You want orbs shot in total darkness then? I'll see if I can find some. So what did you think about the ghost pics in daylight? Not good enough?

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Magical Realist, why do you think those are ghosts?

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Um. Hmm.
    I looked at those, and my own skepticism comes out, when I see pics of 'human like' ghost formations.
    Not to say, I don't believe, across the board. The nun one, mmm....not so sure on that one.
    Granted, it could be. I'm open minded at least, but I'm definitely more skeptical when I see human forms that people are claiming are ghosts.

I really think the most 'convincing' photo is the rundown train car, above.

But, that's not to say I don't believe. I'm just more skeptical of human shapes.

Magical Realist, appreciate you posting all of those images for us.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That is obviously a long exposure. That's why the 'fast moving' person appears smudged.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It's hard to find videos of orbs or lights in complete darkness because most people need a light from their camera to keep their bearings. But here's one of a strange light at sufficient distance not to be a bug..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ONW-LnQOc