Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Excuse me, but granite is an igneous rock, it is highly unlikely to find a volcanic rock in an asteroid field. And what is your source on the specific heat?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

True SW does not use anything as primative as a Thalaron Cloak. A SW cloak is 100% undetectable unless you have a speciallize gravity sensor. We're talking a senosr so fine tuned it would be able to tell the difference between one area of microgravity from another area.

The problem is ounless you have the old Stygium cloaks (a rarity but possible) the ship is nearly as blind. SW cloaks are also not voided by weapons fire, meaning if some one had a acurate map of an area of space and were attacking a stationary target you could use the cloak to fire TL bolts from apparantly empty space.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Excuse me, but you are far more likley to find a volcanic rock in an asteroid belt than metamorphic or sedimentary. Also the asteroid field in question was a catastrophic planetary collision, meaning that some of those asteroids were undoubtedly much harder materials like Diamond, tungsten, uranium.

As for my info on specific heat you can look it up online.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Then the trekkies woke up from their collective coma in the Chewbacca memorial Hospital

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually Scotto, as soon as the first "bolt" is seen phaser and disruptor fire will rain down upon your vulnerable ships. Cloaking is pointless against the tactical abilities of seasoned pilots (watch for weapons fire, fire a spread of your own weapons and look for shield impacts, etc)

And best of all- we could simply trace the ion trails of your engines

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

I found out some fucked up shit about the vong their sheilds are black holes >_>

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

They use Dovil Basins, yes.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

No Ion trail to be detected with even a half way decent cloak. Using just repulser maneuvering a ISD could use bob and weave in their inertial.

Also the cloak field extends more that 100 meters from the shields. Phaser and photons would appear to disappear. The bolts would not be detectable until they left the cloak meaning the ship would not be exactly where you are shooting.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Yep and Star Wars weaponry is quite capable of overloading the Dovin Basal singularities. Something no fed vessel could claim.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

They don't overload the black hole- they outsmart it... stutter fire tricks the computers automated systems into trying to open up more basins than the ships energy grid can support. To do this with a Federation Starship, simply use Pulse Phasers and proximity detonation torpedos. use low power bursts (dozens or hundreds of them) with a few high power shots thrown in (as they did when probing for the Scimitar) Even better still- a single, full power sustained burst being drawn down the length of the ship.

And prove the cloaking field does just that- it would seem silly to do so because now enemy fighters can hide in your cloaking field.

And how, exactly, would the cloaking field prevent the ion trails?

And "using just replusor manuvering" an ISD wouldn't go much of anywhere, as is shown by their apparent inability to manuver in fleet engagements.

Even so, if things are as you CLAIM, and it's just that, your claim, the easiest thing to do would be use the disappearance of weapons fire and triangulate- when a phaser blast disappears, fire a few off in rapid succession before, after, above, and below the target. Triangulate their direction and approximate speed and then fire off a salvo of proximity-detonation torpedos on highest yield. The resulting concussion will most likely disrupt, if not destroy, the cloak (assuming their "cloak" works via a pod like their all too vulnerable sensor pod) and even if it didn't, it would undoubtably shimmer the cloak- there is no way to explain that kind of energy release simply disappaering.

And if, for SOME reason it did, they'd fire off a few TriCobalt devices and obliterate them with a near miss.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually if you read again they can overload the voids as they call them quite quickly then fire pulese inot the voids that will refract (still hitting the shiP)

The hand Of Thrawn Duology Han accidently flies into the cloaking field of an ISD that was anchored to an asteroid passing Bothuwai. Han had room to make several manuevers and actually had to try to escape the cloak field. BTW it would not be silly if your own fighters could hid in your cloak.

Inertia allows a ship to stay moving repulser manevering would allow you to shift course.

15. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Dude you just don't get it. If a 12.5 gigatons blast doesn't even make a cloak hiccup, why would a measly 25 tons. Or your pathetic TriColbalt devices that can barely effect trek shields.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Dude, you don't get it. You're weapon strength theory is bigotry. You pull numbers from random while ignoring onscreen visual and audio PROOF that states the contrary.

Get off your high horse and admit when you are wrong! You might actually learn something that way!

17. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Yes, i read it. the asscanon. Seems very interesting.
    But as i get it, it fires torpedo's. Isn't that a bit useless, as torpedo's can be targeted? I Don't mean this in ST vs SW, but in general. Wouldn't it be better to mount a few phasers between these nacelles?

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And the TriCobalt devices can be safely assumed to be just as effective against shields as unshielded targets- after all, have they ever been shown not to be?

No!

So STOP MAKING UP STORIES SCOTT.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not an episode- it's a movie. Star Trek: Nemesis

Torpedos have shown the ability to do many various things at various speeds.

And there are phasers mounted to suppliment the torpedo tubes

Ass Cannons and Ass Blasters if you will

20. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Thx, i'll rent the movie, maybe i saw it before, i don't know, we'll see

That must be some ass

21. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I have a few tapes "the greatest battles in startrek" butt i know there must be some awesome dogfights or massive battles, maybe you can point some out

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The best occur in DS9 with the Dominion Wars and the Klingon/DS9 standoff

23. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

that's one of the tapes i got. It's impressive that DS9 has such a defence.
    I'm not sure howmany but the klingon's were numerous and yet the would not make a chance.
    I don't know if ds9 would stand his "ground" if it where against the Empire though.:bugeye: I know ST is powerfull but you just can't compare a BOP with a ISD.
    it's comparing a goldfish with a whale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.