Why do young women in Britain drink themselves to oblivion?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by kira, Oct 9, 2011.

1. kira Valued Senior Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-intelligent-women-drink-oblivion-night.html

SPECIAL REPORT: Why do intelligent young women who are nurses, teachers and mothers drink themselves to oblivion every night across Britain?

By Laura Powell
    Last updated at 12:40 PM on 9th October 2011

Midnight on St Mary Street in Cardiff and everything is exactly as expected. Half a dozen young women slump in a gutter, men urinate outside a health-food shop and, as hordes stagger between nightclubs, someone lifts up a blow-up doll with a sex toy protruding out of it.

The street smells of urine and lager, police struggle to break up a fight outside the Walkabout bar and a paramedic bundles a comatose girl on to a wheelchair. But it's a quiet night for 20-year-old Naomi Jenkins. She has 'only' drunk three shots of peach schnapps, cider and three shots of Jagermeister (during a drinking game called I Have Never) and still feels 'a bit sober'. Her friend Hannah Freeman, 19, was punched in a fight and stumbles about swearing and searching for a bathroom.

'We only do embarrassing things when we're really drunk,' Naomi says. 'I kiss random men in the street and Hannah has had sex behind a chicken coop.' She screams with laughter as Hannah lurches unsteadily in the stairwell of Charleston Bar and Grill on Caroline Street (known locally as Chip Alley) and unashamedly urinates in front of us.

Read more

What is happening in Britain? Is this phenomenon only happening in the streets of Cardiff or everywhere across Britain? Has this been going on for long or just recently? There are some not very nice pictures in the article as well:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Rocky road: Scantily clad girls swap shoes in a Cardiff street while another bends down to pick up her handbag

Refuelling: Revellers stock-up amid the rubbish at the roadside

Down... and out: Lying on the kerbside amid cigarette butts and litter a young woman puts her head on her handbag and falls asleep

Not exactly what I think about Britain (the image that I have is a very elegant royal family, nice fashion with cute hats, drinking tea and eating biscuit in fine evenings, harry potter

-p), and so on).

¿Qué Pasa?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I can't answer your questions, but that report isn't an exaggeration, and the same thing happens in towns all over Britain.
    Cardiff is renowned for it, but other places are as bad.
    Perhaps not quite as bad.

Why aren't they arrested and fined heavily?
    :shrug: You tell me.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

Its not just women and its not just Cardiff, but pretty much every town and city in the UK.
    It has gotten progressively worse in recent decades and with many reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_binge_drinking#United_Kingdom

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

8. arauca Banned Banned

People ha become materialistic and they look for happiness in material things

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Why? It's something to do...
    If I want to get lucky in Britain, I now know where to go.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

They'd eat you alive Chimpkin.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nothing new...

12. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

It's not just women, the men are just as bad if not worse.

I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I guess it's because we like to let go, go crazy and booze is an easy way to do that. The fact that it has become socially acceptable is a matter for concern, perhaps if the police arrested more people for being drunk and disorderly it would help.

The current drinking culture will slowly go out of fashion I'm sure.

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

We live in interesting times. The future is very strange, nothing like I thought it would be, with the exception that I shave my head every day like KBZ 10 Troy said I would in that Boys Life story in the early 1960's.

I have been searching for the "why" to the question of choosing to become "drunk" or "stoned to the bone" or "tripping balls" for a very long time. I appreciate any and all input on this topic as I seek to become enlightened as to the reason why persons would put themselves into a position of extreme vulnerability with total strangers with seemingly no regard for their own safety or well being.

The lifestyle choices that these folks are making violate the rules of self preservation and common sense so much that I simply cannot relate. :shrug:

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one.
    Simple answer? Because they're not actually that intelligent. :shrug:

Classy. And these women are the same ones complaining they get treated like trash and can't find a decent man after years of complaining about how drunken men act. :shrug:

Every major town centre on a friday, saturday, sunday, monday... fuck, every night really... and it's the way things are since equality kicked in. It's the big step forward so that everyone can behave that way.

Hahahahahaha well welcome to reality. There's a number of good reasons I've given up dating British girls.

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Yes, that's the idea...preferably glazing me in chocolate first...

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

are these "normal" girls or travelers, because travelers may dress like "tramps" but they arnt and i doubt its travelers drinking themselves to oblivian

17. Ickyrus Registered Senior Member

One possibility, and here I am extrapolating from a New Scientist report I read a long time ago about the effects of alcohol on men and women, was that women tend to get more inclined towards the sexual act (horny!) the more drunk they get. In other words getting drunk gives them a feeling they like having.

Personally, I think if not addicted to alcohol, their purpose in getting drunk is to avoid or run away from life's responsibilities. I hate the idea of being drunk and befuddled

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

There are quite a few very intelligent people with drinking problems. Intelligence is not a defense against addiction.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What I find strange is that there exist people who claim or seem to be unable to relate to such behavior as described in the OP ...

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's not all like that (just Friday, Saturday and early Sunday mornings) The worst culprits for "Binge drinking" are usually those people that have just reached the age that they can get served alcohol (in the UK that's 18) and they tend to drink based upon peer pressure.

The most happening (And therefore filled full of drunks) locations tend to be near prominent Universities where Students actually get a discount on the booze.

Usually the early 20's is where people make the decision to either lessen their intake and become more respectable or forever being an uncontrollable binger. I don't like to point fingers and name names, but Glasgow (Scotland) used to be renowned for it's street drunks due to high unemployment and layoff's by the oil industry in the past. (And a drunk Glaswegian is one of the most difficult dialects of English to understand)

21. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Ha Ha Ha - good joke post!

Rank amateur trolling though.

What I find strange are persons who claim that it is somehow normal and acceptable to get so drunk that they pass out in the gutter, have unprotected sex with total strangers, pee in the middle of the street or that most people would/should act in this manner.

Epic fail. :bugeye:

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Worst Troll attempt. Ev-er.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

That article is utter BS. It makes no mention of changing demographics, disposable earnings, changes in licensing laws and alludes to change in opinion (not law) about acceptable BAC when driving. It's a fluff editorial piece with no basis in reality.