Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I am back after two months. But anyways I hate to bring this up but because I'm a geek; the ST vs SW scenario doesn't add up chronologically. You see SW takes place A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away. The key words are "A Long Time Ago", meaning that it took place a long time before modern day Earth. ST takes place in our future. If I may point out the Empire fell apart after ROTJ, making it impossible for them to fight the Federation around TNG or Voyager era. Now I know that this won't stop the thread(I don't want it to), but I just thought I'd point out a few errors in the timeline.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Oh and Antaran did you ever figure out who would win in a land confrontation?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

FINALLY, I mentioend that like 200 pages ago and finally somebody else figures it out.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that most of us have settled on a wormhole or rift that connects both galaxies and times. Remember however that space in the Milky Way is much more unstable and dangerous in comparison to the GFFA. The Far Galaxy as far as I can tell only dealt with a black hole here and there, yet MW Galaxy residents must avoid wormholes, subspace rifts, temporal anomalies, ion storms, Q and the ilk.

Since warp-driven ships are always in real-space even at FTL, it explains the need for structural integrity fields, arming the hell out of even a small shuttle and building impulse engines capable of great speeds and turns to avoid hazards.

8. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

Bringing back an old topic on Ion canons incredibly damaging ST ships just because an Ion storm can, I give you this real-life scenario:
    A fire hose and a rogue wave both can short out and damage electrical equipment using water. Yet nearly no one disagrees that a rogue wave also has a great potential to snap the ship in two in the process as well.

9. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

SorryI haven't read all 800 pages of the thread.

10. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

Only those few who have been around since the dawn of time have read all 800+ pages and even fewer actually remember what went on in the largest known STvsSW thread.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

besides the fact that your syntax makes no sense.

But an ion cannon would have no affect whatsoever on a star trek ship.

First off our shield tech is so much more advanced than yours, to call them related is an exageration.

Plus, the deflector dish would stop it in it's tracks before it touches our shields. And thats assuming that your pathetic accuracy even hits us.

Your best turbolasers have 8 guns per turret, it's not for damage, its because your accuracy is so bad you need to make it up with just shooting as much as possible.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Can somebody summarize this thread in 50 words or less?

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Star Trek WTF Pwns Star Wars.

There, summary complete.

14. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

You don't need accuracy at point blank range.

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

omega, you couldnt get that close, hell, your ships move so slowly, the star trek officers could have a 3 course meal, take a nap, die, get replaced, before your ships would even see them.

Your ships move so damn slow omega you couldnt get to point blank range, I cant believe you suggested the idea because it is like saying that a galleon sailing vessel could beat the snot out of a modern day destroyer because it would beat it at point blank range.

Besides the fact that the battle would not be at point blank range, and even if it were, wed fire torpedos and since your shields cant block any sort of solid objects from hitting the ship, one quantum torpedo can destroy a capitol ship of yours.

And even if we ignored that obvious fact, the rate of fire on the phasers is far greater than those on a couple of laser turrets.

And in case you forgot omega, phasers are far, far superior to lasers.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Lil extreme, but here's a quick rundown:

Star Trek has a serious advantage in weapons power, shield strength, sublight speed, maneuverability, accuracy, armor effectiveness, power generation, beam weapon range, torpedo weapon range, and just about every other system under the sun.

Star Wars has... hyperspace. Woo.

The best thing is, according to a few things I've seen... Trek could judge a Wars' Ship's hyperspace course from it's initial acceleration, hop to warp 9.8, and come out AHEAD of the star wars ship on the other side waiting for it. So, assuming Star Wars launched an invasion of the Milky Way, Trek could organize defenses well ahead of time, and if Wars tried to flee, Trek would only look along the course they were headed and find the obvious targets, warp there, and obliterate the Wars vessels as they came out of hyperspace.

As their fleets don't all come out at the same time, Trek needs only destroy a handful of ships as they exit, and the debris field will take care of the rest as they drop into real space inside a cloud of dead star destroyers.

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

And even then, in 2 months when STO becomes cannon we'll have transwarp conduits which take us from point a to b in seconds, even if they are opposite ends of the galaxy

18. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Star Wars has the force, Death Star, and millions upon millions of troops, with their thousands of ships. In ST TNG there was an episode where the borg are heading for Earth. StarFleet had about 100 ships defending. Some fleet.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, millions of millions of troops (that will never see landfall)
    The force (which won't even work in the Milky Way - they'd be a void in the force much like the 'Vong)
    Thousands of ships (where one Galaxy class starship is a match for hundreds if not a thousand Wars ships on it's own)

And yes, they dont' keep most of their fleet in the inner systems... they wouldn't NEED to. And if you recall, that cube just sorta popped up outa nowhere... Wars would give FAR more warning as they lumber in

20. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

The force is ALL matter. Therefore the force would work(Unless your'e saying the Milky Way is not made of matter).
    To quote Qui-Gon it's everything around us.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And to quote Qui-Gon:

"It's everything around US"

The force is unique to the Star Wars universe/galaxy, as is shown by the fact that the 'Vong do NOT show up to force sensitives/users (as per your own books). That proves that the force is not omni-present in every universe, much less every galaxy. It also isn't all that impressive... if it were, then why did Palpatine need something like a Death Star? To quote Vader:

"The power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force"

Yet we NEVER see this "power"... ever. We hear stories about Jedi and Sith of old weilding it... but we never see it. Or even evidence of it. I reckon it's all fairy tales told to young Padawan that don't want to go to bed...

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

omega, we dont debate the force in here.

For the simple matter that we would counter with the Q.

The force may be able to manipulate objects around the jedi, but the Q can create, and destroy matter and change it in any way they desire.

That is why we dont count the force because it just makes this arguement idiotic.

The death star is crap, actually when were done with it, it'll be scrap. (yay a poop pun ;p)

First off, it cant turn that easily, so moving away from the direction of the beam is child's play.

Second off, it's shields are wholly inefficient, they cant block solid objects remember? So we just send off a few torpedos and we win.

Besides weve got species 8472, they have thousands of ships that fire beams that are unblockable.

Hell, 9 of them together can destroy an entire planet, and theyre each the size of a fighter plane.

23. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

My apologies, I was not aware that force was not to be debated.

But, it's just that you guys are making it sound like Star Wars doesn't stand a chance. Sure you guys got electronic equipment that outdates ours. You're weapons are more accurate. But you make it sound like nothing can hurt you. I mean that remark from Kittamaru(?) about 1 of your ships taking on 100(?) ISD is just crap. Sooner or later after relentless and overwhelming fire your shields would fail, electronics be useless, and structural integrity be gone. And escape not possible if we have a Interdector cruiser, it's gravity well generator prevents jumps. And I'm not saying that the Death Star is invincible, I mean it was destoyed by fighters, TWICE. But you guys don't have much that size. And the defenses on it are designed to take out larger ships.

One quick question, is this just Empire v.s The Federation, or is it ALL of Star Wars v.s ALL of Star Trek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.