Health Benefits Of GreenTea

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by martineargent, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Huh? white tea seems to be better for you...
    Far more anti-inflammatory, more anti-oxidative, more antibacterial. Which is why I pay more money to drink it-I am a total cheap a$$, white tea is a bit more costly...
    But tastier too, I agree.

Nobody ever reads my links!!!:frust:

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2850784&postcount=40

I sit here, alone, typing away, in the dark, googling my fingers to the bone for you children, and this is the thanks I get....:bawl:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Not even Fraggle is that straight edge.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

There's evidence green tea may lower risk of prostate cancer. I like green tea (the real stuff, not those Lipton baggies). I brew a couple pots of green tea in my office each day. Look for long straight leaves as this is a sign of top quality. The more broken bits means it's more than likely bottom of the barrow mixed up tea leaves that were left over from various better teas. These are why Lipton et.al. is put them into little tea baggies. Good tea easily sits in a net.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ah, lol, sorry, I admit I misread what you had posted - I was reading this in the few minutes before I headed for work and thus didn't have time to read the link itself XD

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Yes, and exercise has also been proven to lower that risk - as well as the risk for many other cancers, type 2 diabetes and several dementias. Something to think about.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Link to your source please.

Yes but much stronger evidence that it does not:
    Here is the abstract from that large prospective study:

".. In a prospective study of 19,561 Japanese men, green-tea intake was not associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer (110 cases), the multivariate hazard ratio for men drinking ≥5 cups compared with <1 cup per day being 0.85 (95% confidence interval 0.50–1.43, trend P=0.81). "

I have prostate cancer despite a "radical prostatectomy" nearly three years ago. I have concocted a "threapeutic diet" supplement of seven items after more than 100 hours of searching at Pub Med and other scientific journal sites for foods with two or more peer-reviewed studies showing some benefit of each item, separately used.

It is not a cure, but does seem to provide some control when I am in "off drug" cycles. I added green tea to my threapeutic diet for about one year, (It replaced my morning coffee) hoping for a "synergistic effect" but did not notice any. So when I read in common literature that coffee reduced the risk of cancer, I went back to coffee. I have not made any effort to learn if there is any scientific basis for coffee helping. I now take my diet supplement with each meal and it seems that the earlier once/ day may not have been often enough. Some items are known to be rapidly metabolized.

With this more frequent and larger amount of diet supplement, I now can use the testosterone suppressing drug only 20% of the time and still keep my PSA below 0.08ng/dL but I am not yet ready to fully describe the diet as I do not wish to give false hopes. I have mentioned in another thread that hot red peppers are part of the diet - the ones I use are common in Brazil, called "Malagueta," and about 12 times stronger in the active (burning) agent than common hot red peppers found in the USA. One adapts to their active agent, so now I take ~20 times more (18 grams / per day) than I could stand initially due to their effect upon the bowels. I actually slightly like the taste of my diet now.

However, it does have a strange mild effect, which I think I understand. The active agent in the peppers causes my body to think it is over heating (a mild systemic burning? not consciously sensed) so in reaction, I become chilled and must put on a sweater but that only lasts an hour or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

“…We conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled intervention study to investigate the effect of the main green tea catechin, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), taken in a green tea extract, Polyphenon E (PPE). Postmenopausal women (n=103) were randomized into three arms: placebo, 400 mg EGCG as PPE, or 800 mg EGCG as PPE as capsules per day for 2 months. … Based on urinary tea catechin concentrations, compliance was excellent. Supplementation with PPE did not produce consistent patterns of changes in estradiol (E2), estrone (E1), or testosterone (T) levels.

Low density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol decreased significantly in both PPE groups but was unchanged in the placebo group;… Glucose and insulin levels decreased nonsignificantly in the PPE groups but increased in the placebo group; … In summary, green tea (400 and 800 mg EGCG as PPE; ~5-10 cups) supplementation for 2 months had suggestive beneficial effects on LDL cholesterol concentrations and glucose-related markers. …”

Billy T condensed abstract above from: Effect of 2-month controlled green tea intervention on lipoprotein cholesterol, glucose, and hormonal levels in healthy postmenopausal womenCancer Prev Res canprevres.0407.2011; Published OnlineFirst January 13, 2012;

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

“…We conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled intervention study to investigate the effect of the main green tea catechin, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), taken in a green tea extract, Polyphenon E (PPE). Postmenopausal women (n=103) were randomized into three arms: placebo, 400 mg EGCG as PPE, or 800 mg EGCG as PPE as capsules per day for 2 months. … Based on urinary tea catechin concentrations, compliance was excellent. Supplementation with PPE did not produce consistent patterns of changes in estradiol (E2), estrone (E1), or testosterone (T) levels.

Low density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol decreased significantly in both PPE groups but was unchanged in the placebo group;… Glucose and insulin levels decreased nonsignificantly in the PPE groups but increased in the placebo group; … In summary, green tea (400 and 800 mg EGCG as PPE; ~5-10 cups) supplementation for 2 months had suggestive beneficial effects on LDL cholesterol concentrations and glucose-related markers. …”

Billy T condensed abstract above from: Effect of 2-month controlled green tea intervention on lipoprotein cholesterol, glucose, and hormonal levels in healthy postmenopausal womenCancer Prev Res canprevres.0407.2011; Published OnlineFirst January 13, 2012;

Read full abstract here: http://cancerpreventionresearch.aacrjournals.org/content/early/recent
    It is the third paper, about one page down.

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

It tastes good too

I brew a pot of the good stuff twice a day when I'm at work. Try to get green tea that's long and unbroken (say 5mm in length, deep green color). If you're getting broken little bits then that's bottom of the barrel tea leaves (usually used in lipton tea bags or something like that). If it's kept sealed it'll last forever.

13. elte Valued Senior Member

I wonder if green tea really reduces tooth decay, or might it be more accurate to say it causes little or no decay when compared to acidic and sugary drinks?

14. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Biofilms, of which dental plaque is one sort, does not like green tea. Green tea messes with the ability to the bacteria to form self-protective colonies, which is what a biofilm is.

15. birch Valued Senior Member

what can't green tea not do?

can it save the world too?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Green tea has caffeine in it. I know because I have become sensitive to caffeine, and green tea is something I can only take in small quantities.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

The debate smolders on?

I see a lot of posters with very few posts whose comments seem to amount to cut-and-paste compliments of green tea, taken from health news soundbites. Maybe the tea industry has found this thread attractive?

As for caffeine, I have heard that caffeine may be the main component in coffee that accounts for some of its anti-diabetic or diabetes preventive effects. Although I've heard that is only for pre-diabetes, and that caffeine can screw up blood sugar once you have the condition. Or something like that.
    I'm too lazy to fetch anything to prove or disprove.

I think the consensus, if there is one, would be that a few cups of green tea with other healthy dietary habits is not harmful and probably aids you.

Green tea polyphenol absorption can be increased by up to 300% when taken with certain amounts of ascorbic acid.
    Again, too lazy to fetch.

I'm just gonna stretch out..
    :yawn: <------ Laziness

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

there is no evidence for that claim and about cancer control or reduction. Several clinical studies showing the opposite - no effect exist. Are you, and most of the other new comers with less than 10 post being paid by some Green Tea company?

Green tea, like many other agents in food does have some mild beneficial effects and probably does little if any harm. It is second only to water as the world´s most common drink.

Here is post with link showing what it can benefit without your wild "snake oil cures everything" claims.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2890293&postcount=55

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  19. Chipz Banned Banned

Lipton's™ Green Tea saved my life, I had cancer once and then when I drank Lipton's™ Green Tea, I didn't.

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Yeah Billy, I too was wondering why all of the new handles have landed on this thread...wrote it off to serendipity. :shrug:

I have a mug of green tea every morning after my run and shower. It is warm, pleasant to the palate and rehydrating.

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

In addition to the link I gave in post 55 to a quite recent study showing green tea was of no use in prevent or curing cancer, here is link to an older, very large, and complete and careful controlled study showing the same thing for prostate cancer:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2360636/?tool=pubmed

Here is its brief abstract in full:
    “In a prospective study of 19 561 Japanese men, green-tea intake was NOT associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer (110 cases), the multivariate hazard ratio for men drinking ≥5 cups compared with <1 cup per day being 0.85 (95% confidence interval 0.50–1.43, trend P=0.81).”

Here is the title of the paper reporting the study:
    “No association between green tea and prostate cancer risk in Japanese men: the Ohsaki Cohort Study”
    Here is part of the introduction paragraph:
    “…Green-tea consumption per capita in Japan is the highest in the world (International Tea Committee, 2004). One reason for the low incidence of prostate cancer in Japan may be the high consumption of green tea. We therefore examined the association between green-tea consumption and prostate cancer incidence among men in the Ohsaki Cohort Study conducted in rural Japan. …”

This low incidence of prostate cancer in Japan, is like the lower death by heart disease in France. Ignorant people and then the press, jump to the conclusion that it is due to green tea in Japan and red wine in France. Red wine does contain resveratrol, which in VITRO can be shown to have many desirable effects, including upon cancer cells. But it is destroyed in the human gut so essentially none gets into the blood (You can get it there by direct absorption under the tongue from resveratrol saturated wafers.):

“…oral bioavailability of resveratrol is low because it is rapidly metabolized in intestines and liver into conjugated forms: glucuronate and sulfonate.[102] Only trace amounts (below 5 ng/mL) of unchanged resveratrol could be detected in the blood after 25 mg oral dose.[102] Even when a very large dose (2.5 and 5 g) was given as an uncoated pill, the concentration of resveratrol in blood failed to reach the level claimed to be necessary for the systemic cancer prevention.[40] A formulation of resveratrol in a chewing gum form is now in production, and this would be expected to achieve much higher blood levels than oral formulations. …”
    Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

I.e. even if you took 25mg by mouth only 5 ng/mL ends up in the blood and the liver rapidly destroys that tiny fraction.
    It is sad commentary on general human progress from the days when we were burning witches to see how strongly still scientifically unfounded beliefs are accepted by the masses just because of coincidental associations. (A crazy girl in Salem, low rate of prostate cancer in Japan, or lower heart attack rates in France)

I have prostate cancer an operation removing prostate and associated tissue did not cure. Thus, when I learned it failed as a cure, I spent more than 100 hours at Pub Med looking for diet items that might help (had at least two pier-reviewed studies showing effectives) I found four and take them before every meal with some indications that they are helping. I keep PSA < o.1 ng/dL with low duty cycle use of Testosterone, T, lowering drug but after three years of use must report they are not a cure. Initially red grape juice and green tea were part of the "therapeutic diet" but later I learned more about them and dropped their use. At least five other items with popular press claims have been tested (in my carefully controlled one patient study) but then dropped. I pay nothing in Brazil to measure PSA and T so do both five times in each on drug/ off drug cycle. First measured pair is about 9 hours after last drug pill is take, 2nd is about 7 weeks later, then three more at decreasing intervals to watch PSA approach 0.1 and as it does start next cycle´s on drug phase.

I plot the ratio, PSA/T and so long as it remains essentially constant conclude that the cancer cells in my body still need T to be active. Normally with more continuous use of drugs to surpress T, the drugs become ineffective and PSA climbs even if T is held near castration levels. My hope, so far achieved, is that will low duty cycle use of drugs the drug will not lose control. I.e. not become an untreatable CRPC case. When (and if) I have gone four years keeping PSA <0.1 and ratio PSA/T constant, I will publish my "therapeutic diet" details.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Please give link to a pier-reviewed, journal article supporting this claim (Someone´s opinion, even if published in some Natural Foods magazine etc., is still just someone´s opinion.)

I am not disputing that there are anti-oxidents, etc in green tea, nor the fact that they can be shown to be effective in vitro tests against isolated cancer cells. I want to see some in vivo evidence, where these agents not only survive the normally occurring processes that break down of complex molecules in animal´s digestive system´s but also get into the blood stream and produce the results claimed.

I have still low levels PSA three+ years after my prostate (& nearby associated tissue) was remove. I.e. I am in the 10 to 25% the a radical prostateomy did not cure. I spent at least 100 hours searching (mainly at Pub Med) for diet items that might help. (Had at least two scientific studies showing their effectiveness) - I found 6, including green tea and red wine, but later dropped both from my diet when more detailed investigation showed they were just in vitro studies and other studies in vivo showed no significant effects (because their agents are destroyed in the gut).

The agent (Resveratrol) in red wine (or also in cheaper red grape juice), is now or soon to be available in special chewing gum as studies have shown it can get into the blood if held in the mouth, especially under the tongue.

I am certainly NOT opposed to diet as aids to cancer control. In fact believe my diet items, taken before each meal, are why I can keep PSA < 0.1ng/dL for several months with no use of drugs lowering Testosterone, T, to near castration levels. Fortunately for me, I live in Brazil and have no cost to frequently measure both T & PSA.

I go off drugs more than three months, first measuring T & PSA in early AM about 10 hours after last drug pill was taken, then again after about 7 weeks later with three more measurements of both at decreasingly shorter intervals (to know when my PSA is approaching 0.1 and I must go back on drug for about one month.)

In essence I am doing a very carefully control study of low duty cycle use of standard drugs. If I can go four years with little drug use and keep PSA below 0.1 (and also the ratio of PSA/T essentially constant while "off drug") then I will publish my diet - don´t want to give false hopes. Normally durgs lose control in about 3 years and one is then A CRPC case with very little that can be done for you (or nothing not costing ~$100,000 per year).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  23. mikerawlins Registered Member

Drinking green tea makes me want to go to the bathroom. You know what I mean...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.