Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Transphasic Torpedos. Standard fare for 26th century Federation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. JohnM81 Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but transphasic torps are a future weapon and given to capt. janeway by her future version.

Correct?

Do we have canon evidence that suggests that Starfleet integrated this weapon into the fleet? We do have canon evidence that suggests starfleet is very concerned about disrupting the time line and using future tech would definately be a disruption to the normal progression of tech evolution.

EDIT: I think its called the Temporal Prime Directive.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Illegally at that. By all rights, current Janeway should have destroyed them and shot her future self on suspicion that she was another trick cooked up to screw Voyager. It would have fit the character.

Hell for all we know the copies she took back might be unique and unduplicatable. Even if they could be duplicated they might take 30 years to develop. Provided there were any left to experiment on.

Not only that these weapons show a great effect against Star trek style shields which are vastly inferior to Star Wars type shields.

As for those Trekkers (Trekkies are too smart to make this following argument and they widely accept that Star Wars would win) that make the argument of 29th century Federation. Who is to say that 29th century Federation is not a protectorate of the Empire or New Replublic?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

8. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:

9. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Actually it was a Thompson.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Show me a Trekkie even half that gorgeous.....

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Correct it was Thompson Machine Rifles in .45ACP. Today the caliber of the round would label it a submachinegun. But I find it hysterical that the Federation cannot create a kinetic weapon with the stopping power of a .45ACP to save their crews.

12. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

The Thomson's bullets were subsonic (not light speed or sub-light) so the slugs did more damage to a target than a fast moving projectile would have.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually a .44 magnum blows a .45ACP right out of the water and I won;t go into .475 Linebuagh, .500 S&W Magnum or .600 Nitro....

All you need for damage is a round that will deform in flesh. Hell glaser rounds fired at hypersonic speeds would make mincemeat out of Borg and yet fail to penetrate the ship's hull.

14. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

She didn't because she's a hypocritical twit, and she didn't trust her future self to begin with and had her examined by EMH.

Sorry, but you have no evidence of this. The fact that Voyager was able to adapt Voyager to use them is pretty telling. Not only that, but why would it take 30 years to understand the technology? Its only a few decades ahead of their own, so it wouldn't be too hard. Perhaps five or so years at max.

Um, bullshit much? Or did you get around to actually responding to the twenty or so posts that outlines superior UFP firepower than your claims? If so, I must have missed them.

Because not only are they from two seperate universes, but that statement is completely retarded?:crazy:

The 29th UFP however, would utterly assrape the Empire. They if I recall, extend into the Delta Quadrant, and have advanced temporal technology, and when their ships go boom, it takes out entire an entire solar system. What happens when Imperial ships go boom? Oh, that's right, their wanked out ships that supposedly pump out 200 gigatons easily, don't even affect a nearby moon when their multi-mile ship explodes. Isn't that just whoop-de-fucking great? Again, we get to see just how pathetic you are at making blinded arguments.

15. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Odd, he doesn't have any form of expertise when it comes to Imperial firepower, but he's competent enough to know about their secret blindspot?:bugeye:

You're either wanting to have it two ways, or you have to accept that this is a flaw in all ISDs know to enough people that Han knew, and shows Imperial stupidity because A) They never fixed it, and B) They didn't think to look there.

Not to mention that we also hear Han saying that they'd be crazy to follow them into a asteroid field, and later on we hear one of the officers telling Lord Vader that they couldn't risk entering the asteroid field.

16. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Wong has been dishonest in the past, take his NDF theory for example. Part of what he uses to prove his point is by using a UFP material, claiming its another, and then saying the name was just changed slightly over the years, and yet turns around and says that Turbolasers aren't lasers just because they share the same, or similar name. It's hypocritical and just pathetic.

Doubt it. But even if you are right thats irrelevent. Its Scifi, ya know, make believe. If its shown in the movies as I believe it does, then its considered fact.

I do too. However, the recoil should send those things flying right off those ISDs, at least as far as the laws of physics says. Of course, it's sci-fi.

Just like it's canon that Voyager suvived a planet exploding right in front of it, and an armada of 20 Romulan/Cardassian ships can destroy 30% of a planet's crust within 4 seconds of orbital bombardment. Take that at 1.5% for every ship, and a UFP ship should be able to take out a planet's crust (basicly, what you're so proud to claim that an ISD can do in an hour) in about 4 minutes, and 45 seconds. Possibly more, since Cardassian ships suck ass (UFP fighters deal heavy damage to them) and are practically a century behind the UFP, so it may have been 2% for the warbirds, and .5% for the Cardassian crap ships. But this way, we have a lower limit to fall back on.

Now, those 20 ships should have logically have been able to destroy the planet within 13.33 seconds, but assuming it takes them just as long to reload as it does to fire, we can double it to 26.67 for you. So, less than half a minute. Now, remember Best of Both Worlds? Where the UFP gathered 40 ships to fight off the Borg, but got bitch slapped? Yeah, that fleet would have taken out a planet's crust in about 13.33 seconds. Imagine what the Borg cube can do to an Imperial fleet.

17. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Really? Luke and Palpy can hurl half-mile long ships across the galaxy, create plasma fields that travel faster than the speed of light, create temporal paradoxes, destroy the fabric of the universe with a small civil war, bring people back to life, transport people from place to place, create realities on whime, and take people to other dimensions for kicks? Wow, news to me.

18. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

You should talk?

No it isn't. The output of the Enterprise D is 12.75 billion gigawatts is when the ship is in atmosphere of a planet and not in warp, or doing anything else. In fact, all was running was life support, and possibly a few holodecks.

Also, the remark makes no sense. Watts, is already per second, part of the term itself. To say that it was gigawatts per second would have to imply that the warpcore was increasing in power by 12.75 billiong gigawatts per second, so that would mean that:

Second 1: 12.75 billion gigawatts
    Second 2: 25.5 billion gigawatts
    Second 3: 38.25 billion gigawatts

This makes no sense in any fashion, and furthermore, is silly since they aren't doing anything. Also, the 'second' part is non-canon, so we can just assume that Data was going to say something else, like warpcore, or some such. Otherwise, the whole thing turns wankish or stupid really, really fast.

Also, another episode said that one of their plasma conduits kicks up in the terrawatt range, or something like that. A GCS should easily be able to generate in the high terrwatt range.

Cute, now if only it could match the UFP phasers.

Pathetic. It takes an Imperial ship an hour for what a GCS could do in less than five or ten minutes.

19. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Eh? Has this been proven in reality?

20. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Did you actually watch Star Trek 10?:bugeye:

We see in the movie that there are two phaser emitters towards the lower end of the ship that struck Shinzon's ship, not only that, but two aft torp launchers fired six photons at it. The Enterprise E has all around coverage. Please, even the Enterprise D had an aft torp launcher. Your claim is just silly.

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Borg shields would likely deflect it.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Glaser rounds are proven currrent technology used in house to house fighting. The round is a thin metal jacket that icontains many pellets. The round penetrates felsh and ruptures releasing the pellets that makes wound more horrific than any Hollowpoint round. If the casing hit a solid surface it agains ruptures and the pellets again are scattered rapidly dissiapting energy.

Now imagine .50 caliber railguns with sniper scopes firing these rounds. One shot one kill.

Borg are armored, yes, but they are not fully armored and do not take evasive action. Some minor training and you could have three sharpshooters riding little forklifts moving just faster than the borg taking them out like clockwork.

23. JohnM81 Registered Member

Like I have said before Im not in the business of defending a man I don't know. However what I do see for rating TL bolts is solid thermodynamics. And until someone shows me specifically in his calculations where there is a mistake I have no reason to disregard his scientific explanation of a canon observation.

Turbolasers can't be lasers. Canon evidence shows they travel slower than light speed and the fact they come in bolts means they aren't lasers either. What exactly are they? I don't know.

Slow down there. These above remarks don't mean much to me if you don't start out properly.

1. Show me canon evidence that X amount of of ships can toast the crust of a planet.
    2. Show me the energy requred for such a feat.
    3. Show me your calculations
    4. Show me your assumptions

Don't get me wrong, Im not saying your claims are inaccurate, however I need to start with relabile figures first. I give Wong's claims a degree of confidence because he actually does his calculations. I need you to do the same.

If your point is to show a borg tactical cube could take a ISD then I would say this point is moot. I already showed using canon observations proved that cube could take well over 48 million turbolaser bolts worth of energy and still remain combat effective. And that 48 million is using Dr. Wongs energy levels.

As far as I see it, unless federation violates its own temporal directive (of which I would like to see canon evidence if this is so) the borg are the saviors of the milkyway against the empire. And that is of course if the borg are still alive....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.