Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually the needed medium to the force is in question. One of Luke's students was tranferred to a droid body, but could still sense Force connection to numbers. He could rought precognizate with random numbers. Callista was a Jedi during the early years of the Empie and learned how to put her consciousness into an appropiate databank and could practice force telepathy while in there. There was a child of the Emperors' who could control droids. Luke's midichlorian count was roughly half that of his fathers, yet he performed feat more amazing than his father ever had. The Yuuzhan Vong were origianlly connected to the Force, but were stripped of it by their homeworld, and later supposedly reunited with the Force by the sentient moon Zonama Sekot. So the Force may exist though out the universe and just be terribly limited outside of galaxies.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

You mean a foundation.
    I don't really know...Subspace is used so often...and never explained. Memory Alpha was just as obscure.

Yeah I was incorrect. They could raise the shield again but the enemy would just tear it away.

That's what I'm thinking. That would mean it's not a true energy shield...That means that it's particle shield really is...a PARTICLE SHIELD. Star Trek maybe able to disrupt these types of shields. I'll have to do some research.

Ray shields would be a simple magnetic envelope. If Star Wars lasers weren't lasers then magnetic fields would be able to effectively deflect the bolts away from ships.

Yet there is no indication in Trek that the Force exist less you have proof otherwise but then you can't have proof of another genre in Trek.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

life can not exist without them in SW uiverse, yes. sadly this means the jedi or sith or any other SW person filtered through the buffer would not survive the process. as for mitochondria, they just don't match the properties. mitochondria like would be more acurate.
    i compleately agree that initialy ST would not know of them. however the first scan or transporter log of a SW being would reveal them as a strange anomaly on a celular level, in what is otherwise normal human.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i'm not sure we inderstand each other. the midichlorains act like a medium/nods of the force. no midichlorians no conection. if the force even exists in ST, the ability to activly access it would be dimished on a large scale. practicaly the jedi would be like "torches in the dark", wile in SW they are more like signs on a road.

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. precisly the word i was looking for! i draw my conclusion from the fact that whenever there are disturbances in the space-time fabric or there is extra-dimensional travel involved, those fenomena live trails in subspace. hack, allmost everything lives a trail in subspace. subspace links even provide means to transport objects through transporter inhibitors (like the isolinear tags in "Insurection")

2. ray shields might even be an integral part of particle shields, or at the very least the base for their developement. that means strong variable electromagnetic fields that would contain the plasma for the particle deflector. these fields would not stop phisical object but fry living organisms (like a hyper microwave) if powerfull enough.

this lives us with the problem of Ion Guns. in the games i play the shields of both fighters and capital ships stop ion guns and the ISD2 in ESB did not. maybe the imperials got cocky and did not raise them? or maybe the planetary ion gun fired vectored streams of ions, with the positive ions leading and the negative following, which would lead to total shield neutralization for a short period of time. the resulting EM noice might be what actualy disables the ship.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

But my point is that many people and items that do not have midichlorian or have low counts have force powers/abilities. The Aing Ti monks trained a non force sensitive to use teleportational abilities as well as others. So it might be that people with a high midichlorian count just have an easier time learning them.

Now since ST universe and Dune universe have abilities that match Force abilities it is not out of the realm to think that perhaps it's all one set of power and people come at it form different angles. Then wee avoid the whole ideal of one group being powerless in another's universe/galaxy.

I assume you are now talking about the apparant discrepiency of the SW ray shields and the Vong singularity shields. How the singularity can suck up the shields. Well if you read the books you understand that the singularity shield sucks up matter and energy for the beast to consume. It does have a preset limit depending on the size of the creature. The Vong learned that their singularity shields could absorb the defenses of a standard Star Wars vessel by bringing the two shields in contact. This tactic works well becuase it shorts out the shields of the technological ship and reduces the defenses of the Vong ship but does not completely deplete them.

Now there is also the dual layering of the Ray Shields and Particle shields. Ray shields are designed to absorb deflect incoming energy approaching the speed of light. Now there is some theories on why a Turbolaser seems travel sub C, but in the end it appears to move at the same speed as phasers in Star trek so the point is moot. Particle shielding is designed to deflect objects that are sub-c and quite a bit larger.

Here

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Or might not pick them up at all. The first trill we see beamed onto the Enterprise Dmade it through transporters with absolutely no mention of the symbiont. Which would be ignored if it was not for the fact that no one on board seemed to know they had a symbiote.

My guess is transprter filters are programmed to recognize a specific set of contagions and when gone to maximum recognize a few thousand more as potentially harmfull. Otherwise they would never be able to digest anything becuase all the intestinal flora would have been removed a long time ago.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

How do you explain all the force-like abilities. Of course if you are going to claim that Jedi-sith/aing ti are powerless outside their galaxy then you suffer same fate. Only the Traveller has shown any ability outside the Milky Way.....

I'm sure you don't want to play that way becuase then SW wins becuase all they have to do is use the Galaxy Gun to hyperspace projectiles from their Galaxy to the Milky Way. It would take ST millenia to reach SW galaxy but only days for the projectiles to reach our stars with resonance torpedoes.

And we already know the Traveller and Wesley take NO SIDES in a battle even when the latters mother and best friends were in danger.

12. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I know it regenerate, but it is way to slow. I spend one hour fighting and it haven't rechagred ( mabey a little exaggeration ) from no shields. It the plyons are damaged, it can't recharge.

13. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

14. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They will die if you remove the midicorians. Also in Anakin's case his midicorians will just grow right back, because he is the pure vessle of the force.

15. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

So can every single Indictor class. Star Wars will just shoot the moon instead.

You can't jump to hyperspace will a planetary gravity well, but you can stay in it even if it is a netron star. As for Death Star, it is acully a gravity well lock on ,because there is no way to identify the diffrence with a small freighter like the Falcon.

Indictors have stronger gravity wells then a star. Anyways reinforcements will arrive in miniuts or even seconds.

16. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Again Gravity Well lock on.

17. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

He got stab right beside his heart ( I mean right beside ). And you got stabbed with a knife? Wow, that is extreme the worst I got is a scrap in the knee on concrete.
    He don't need a mother, he is a pure vessle of the force. He can do anything with his full protencial.

18. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Anakin is the most powerful. Palpatine said he could be invincible. Remember he is the only pure vessel of the force.

19. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Still the same, because the will "bring" the force the milky way. All they have to do is to be force sensitive.

20. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Why did they have trouble going in a netron star in voyager? Centerpoint can crush a whole star system, can any blackhole do that?

21. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Too long, it is almost like forever entill the shields are full chagred again ( without battery ).

22. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Not even close. Starfighter shields are diffrent because it have a diffrent shield generator.

23. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

5,000 midicorians per cell. That is really small. I wonder what if the Jedi used Force Orb and the Sith used force destruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.