Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well we know thagt Blasters and Turbolaser and even lasers in SW are not actual lasers. First of all they have recoil and they have mass. Mirrors would probably not help at all.

Actually is it so hard to believe that a general tank design would not have a variable power setting on their main gun. If your fighting infantry would you not want low power rapid fire?

Actually Only ship board phasers have been shown to cut dense metal with any efficency. Hand phasers have been know to be able to weld some metals and vaporize light metals like aluminum. But a light packing crate will stop a phaser dead in it;s tracks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh... no... Romulan ships are far larger, better shielded, and better armed than a Galaxy class... hence why they're almost as fast even with a Quantum Singularity Drive.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... handheld phasers have been shown to vaporize a human being. Instantly.

That takes more than "mild welding" power levels...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Observe.

http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=966

8. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Really? That isn't what George Lucas said:

Kinda sucks that Luke's going to be a virgin forever though...

According to the quote above, Tarkin never existed in Star Wars.

What do you mean, barely? They contain them just fine, we only see a problem when they had an alien creature try to use one for a nest, which tore up space-time.

Is that why their ships are more powerful than a Galaxy class starship?

Um, there would be debries for may megaton level shots; but most of the town would be a gone. We're talking about a weapon that was a hundred times as strong as the bomb we dropped on a city; a small town would likely not be around anymore.

Actually, during the Clone Wars, we saw that a CIS cruiser firing at an escape pod, missed and failed to create a massive explosion; which would have easily killed Yoda and the clones.

Furthermore, the yields you claim is several times higher than the ones seen in the series, and is part of non-canon, as seen here:

You're wrong even when it comes to EU!

T-Canon is clearly above C canon. Any other claims?

Yeah, only small holes that end. We don't see them keep going. We're never told this. If this was the truth, a Canon would simply dial up its yields and fire into a mass of enemy troops because the shots would simply punch right through them. Hell, depending on how stupid the clones or droids are that day, you'd get them all lined up in a row!

No, instead we see that they just blow holes into walls at best; spark at worst.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

you read my mind

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

actually this was the main point of my very first posts on this thread, but noone seamed to follow up. they just wanted to mesure who's watts are longer

i speculated that phasers and turbo"lasers" are in esence very siimilar weapons, seing how they are very selective in their damage isuing and lack of any pyrothechincs.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

thta is a very dangerous gamble with an exotic particle

the effect of the distrotion might accelerate it and we don't want that to happen.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

you might need a big forcefield sooner or later.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. oh my goodness, the bodysnatchers have invaded and TWS was their first victim

just kidding....

corona of a supernova????? hahahahahahahahahahhahahahhhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah
    i can tell you one thing man, Carl Sagan has turned in his grave. what posesed you to go bazoozoo like that? is your case not bad enough as it is allready?

as for the rest of the "hiding places", well no wonder why noone has ever seen an imperial research lab. i can see how hyperdrives would be screwed in such environements.

2. SW impact point are not that small.

3.we have no idea what conversion process is in use. if the amount of energy they produce is what you say it is, they should not be capable of warping space eighter, yet they do and often it results with creation of unstable wormholes. not to mention cloaking devices which create compleate "shells" of distortions that allow EMs to compleatly bypass them. the fact is, they obviously do all this stuff, and if they do it by wasting less power then they shoul, its even for the better.

4.hey the math is ok, its the nomenclature that's quasi here. it's like saying 1m/s every second is the same as 1m/s but it's not. one is used for speed the other of delta speed (acceleration).

5.see the nuclear war threat analatists tend to disagree with you. and let's not fool our selves. if ONE tank has 200GT per one shot, just imagine a batalion of tanks doing a barage.

6.transfering gigajules of energy in a time frame of 1s or under will cause superheeting and supersonic transfer of energy. if this happens, the object will not get the time to melt, it will turn to plasma.a rapidly expanding plasma which is what creates teh shockwave in the first place. the melting will result later on, after the resulting fireball has "cooled down" and lifted a bit.

7. read above (6+2)

8.nonsence, HE was used by assult guns and ifantry suport tanks mostly. 3/4 of all tanks ware anti-armour tanks or universal designs. they did have diferent types of ammo aboard, but their main ammo was the AP anti tank round. ans you can see these guns in action on many documentaries.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Only need to absorb a few shots while you target the TL turrets with a spread of phaser fire or torpedoes.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.yes they can beraly contain them. but their entire fleet of warbirds is using them? just barely

lol
    those same warbirds that outgun the GCS, are comparable in shielding and slightly slower in warp? funky business that...

2. a 2.5 megaton impact would create a crater of several hundred meters in diameter (depending on the composition of the area) as a result of vaporization/melting and even larger as a result of energy transfer/shockwave.

3.not the ships, but the tanks did. and the same source that gives us values on both, gives us the relations of their firepower. in ex. the point defence on ships is the same streinght as the tank's guns. thus by extrapolation, their main TLs are far weeker.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i would use a megaton blast to wipe the entire division with one hit.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

can't say really. those are not real lasers anyway. but if some portion of them is, then that portion is harmless to a warp capable ship.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Either way, Star Trek has 2 easy I-Win buttons:

TransPhasic Torpedoes
    Chroniton Torpedoes

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately an energy weapon does not work like that. The blast may barry the destructive capability of a megaton but it is the ultimate shaped charge. Agfainst infantry it would be like using Uranium Discarding Sabot rounds. you drill a holle through any that lined up, but get negligable blast radius.

Now a ship based weapon system fired from space on a wide dispersion could probably do that, but we're talking hundred of miles for the beam to widen a bit.

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

He probably did roll over in his grave. But then again I am sure every episode of Star trek TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise would have had the same effect if he had been in his grave for most of those.

I meant corona of stars on the verge of supernova, but was a typo, I do apologize.

Actually to exploit said weakness you'd want a wider impact anyways in order to assure you get as many flaws as possible. However the bolts are rarely more than one or two meters in diameter

Actually they create bubbles of time space and take apart the space in front of them and reassemble it behind them according to most accepted theory. While this process does indeed call for an extreme amount of power it seems rely more on the type of field you generate. And if it is indeed graviton based, then the ships would be largely invisble as the warp field would absorb light fraom around the ship.

Cloaking devices are just sophisticate sensor spoofer and holographic imagers as evidence that all but one suffered from some sort of defect that would allow easy detection.

Actually the correct nomenclature is 1/m/s/s or one meter per second per second for acceleration. Which is where we have the problem with watts as it is bassically the flow of current measured over a time. It is assumed when you say watts you mean per second. Of course there are variation like kilowatt hour and so forth. I am trying to make sure that the read understand I am using the traditional measurement. To help with rebuttals i will just start referring to Watts and joules.

200 GT in an EXPLOSION kicks up major amounts of dust. 200 GT in the effect of a shaped charge or needle strike does not kick up the same amount of material. Though it would influnce local weather for sometime as the ground cools.

By the Way nobody claimed 200 GT tank guns. Hell the 200 GT guns would not fit on vehicle unless it was shuttle carrier sized.

However remeber this initial plasma will be coming fomr a hole about two meters wide and byt the time the matter will have changed state, which still takes time eg 1/40th of a second as in ESB, the beam will have travelled several hundred meters through the medium unless of course it is a Bose–Einstein condensate of the element rubidium, but that is only made in labratories.

Answered above in 6 and 2.

Actually given the light armor of WWI and WWII tanks .50 caliber machinegun rounds were easily able to pierce the armor of most tank designs. While tanks did carry what could obstentially be called AP rounds they were mosre like HEDP rather than HEAP or HEAT. Solid solid shot rounds were carried but were considered superflous as Armor had not really improved to the point of that need.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Since the damage was obviously cuased as something inside the wall exploded out i would say Kirk just happened to hit something explosive. You can tell the explosion came form within becuase the 'metal' is bent outwards not inwards. Please stop giving me ammo to use against you. I already have enough.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... try saying that to the people of Hiroshima...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.