Hand Guns - Yes or No

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sderenzi, Oct 31, 2006.

?

Hand Guns Are Needed (by me or others)

1. Yes

54.8%
  2. No

45.2%
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not a gun owner, I barely know how to handle one safely, and I don't even like being near them. But I'm glad some of my neighbors are gun owners.

To use the statistic that countries which restrict guns have less violent crime than the USA as a justification for restricting guns is the bonehead fallacy of "correlation implies causation." Since governments are primarily made up of boneheads who are supervised by power-hungry scoundrels, governments love to use that fallacy to manipulate us.

There are any number of plausible reasons why a people who are not prone to lethal violence would be the same people who allow their government to curtail gun ownership. Americans are cowboys, we get overly emotional, we do lots of crazy stuff, and we occasionally kill each other. It's just the way we are. We are nothing at all like the pacifist, authority-loving Japanese or the stoic, class-conscious British. We're a lot more like the feisty Arabs, which is probably why we feel so competitive with them.

You can pass any laws you want, but you will no more succeed in taking away Americans' guns than you have in taking away their drugs. We simply have no respect for authority in this country.

I'm not convinced that handguns are actually very useful for self defense on the street since most people are not quick-draw artists and are likely to be in hand-to-hand combat with a sturdy street thug before they can reach for their gun. But my opinion doesn't matter, apparently the street thugs think so and that's what counts. Last time I saw the statistics, every jurisdiction that had made it easy to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon had experienced a drop in street crime.

I think a shotgun is more practical for defense against burglars and other prowlers. You don't have to practice, just learn to load it, point it vaguely in the right direction, and pull the trigger. You don't even need to find your glasses. It's difficult to use as an offensive weapon so you don't have to lose sleep over the possibility that it will fall into the wrong hands--or that you might get cranky some day and try to kill your wife's boyfriend with it.

Personally I am far more worried about being overpowered by my own government. This is something that has happened many times in many countries during my lifetime so I think it's naive to say, "Oh that could never happen in the USA." To me the true value of the right to bear arms is the government's knowledge that there are a lot of citizens with a lot of firepower, so a despotic coup would not be as easy to pull off here as it was in Czechoslovakia and Latvia.

It's one thing to pump up the cops and the National Guard on some fascist hokum and send them out to enslave the citizens. It's quite another if they know the citizens will shoot back with fully automatic weapons and grenade launchers.

To hell with the handguns. We need more power than that.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

I woudn't ban guns what I would do is:

Make ALL guns to look like a penis and paint them all pink, then stencil in big black letter-"I'M GAY" on both sides.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What a load of bullshit.

Iraq is and was loaded with weapons (see current situation). The Iraqi government under Saddam had no trouble keeping control despite the common distribution of weapons, and moreover, of powerful weapons. They did this with an iron fist.

However, since the puppet regime of the puppet master USA took over there is no control anymore. This results in violence. Not in an overthrow of the government. Just anarchy on certain levels of society. Levels that do not matter that much to the people in power at the moment.

Same in Iran. It's loaded with kalashnikovs. My Iranian friend had two himself when he was still living there. The current government will not be overthrown or kept in check because of weapons among the people.

Same for the USA. I can't really pinpoint a people that acts more like sheep than the american people, except maybe the Germans. There will never be a major source of resistance against the american government. Americans only want to consume. The same is true for the Germans. With the Kaiser gone they wanted to serve another master. After WW2 that was the economy. Hitler didn't turn out to be a good choice. Produce, consume.

There is hardly a people that is more indoctrinated than the American people. Maybe north koreans and some ME people are the exception.

The americans have nothing but respect for their authority. Bush lies. The people swallow it. The bureaucracy fucks with people. Americans swallow it.

Your post is nothing but wishful thinking.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

America sucks ass, it's boring, only good for selling junk, you can only find jobs that pay trash wages and exploit the workers that only want to survive. This country is like so far downhill it can never get back up again.

I'd much rather see a society with perfect logical insight, not this thing.

----

America

- Consumer Oriented - Makes people depressed because everyday, all day, they're only job is about selling more worthless garbage to those who think it's worth paying for.

- Cell phones abound making it increasingly more difficult to meet people spontantiously and get laid

- Woman pop children out because men aren't kept on a tight rope, thus they bang hot chicks very young leaving nice guys like me without any pussy.

nuff said

8. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I don't like America either, but not for any of the reasons you bring up. Most Americans(occassionally including myself) are stupid, and our government's fucked up, but you're just a loser.

9. John99 Banned Banned

People in all other developed nations are pretty much like American's. We only see the elitist bull shit throwers who claim to be different.

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

No, you have a twisted view of the World and think it is normal.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  11. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

(laughs) but you know you are a borderline psychopath. Anyway America just needs values, its too focused on being a first world country. I think Guns are for mama's boys, I hate them with all my heart. I am nopt making this up, once I was robbed by a crazy looking guy toting a big cast iron plumbing pipe and another time I was robbed by a guy with a gun. I don't need to tell you which event of the two was more scary.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  12. John99 Banned Banned

Well first I dont know what "it" is.

13. sderenzi Banned Banned

Are you joking me! 10 out of 12?!! What kind of poll is that grrrrrr!

14. John99 Banned Banned

The crazy looking guy with the pipe?

15. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Was it the rod? Because a gun conveys more of a sense of prudence than fear. If someone actually robbed you with a pipe, (I'd imagine) you'd have to be pretty scared for it to actually work.

16. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I'd rather take on somebody with a pipe than someone with a gun, I think.

Granted, one well placed blow could kill you, but at least you could run and not get shot in the back.

17. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

no shit, he could have beaten me to a pulp. You don't know what that kind of guy is on. None of them was successful though, I ran away.

18. John99 Banned Banned

Oh man you guy's think too much/

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

with a gun you are certain of some things, but with my dear friend's pipe, which was well dense, you are not sure... but you know some very painful things are about to be experienced

20. sderenzi Banned Banned

Reminds me of a talk in Kung Fu's Pilot Episode:

"What is the best way to deal with force?" - disciple Caine to one of his teachers

"As we prize peace and quiet above victory, there is a simple and preferred method.... run away.

Perceive the way of nature and no force of man can harm you. Do not meet a wave head on: avoid it. You do not have to stop force: it is easier to redirect it. Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced." - Master Kan

21. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

So would I, but it's not because I have an emotional fear of the gun. I'm just not stupid enough to think I can't take the guy with the gun unless I also have a gun. But for somebody to actually rob me with a pipe, I'd have to be fucking scared of something, or knocked out.

22. John99 Banned Banned

A guy with a knife or for that matter a pipe can beat someone w\ a gun, i've seen it in training video's/

23. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Well I was scared. Wth a gun you hear two bangs the ambulance comes, the dectective drives his car in with a cop of coffee, and if you are lucky the policia comes with their shotgun and aviator sun glasses. You go to heaven before you know it and its a wrap. But withathick as hell plumber's pipe, you aren't going to go that easily. You will experience a lot of bone breakage, inflamation, humiliation, and a very painful ordeal. Besides anybody that robs you with anything other than a gun means he means business, he is desperate. In TV all you have to do is obey the man with the Gun and everything will be okay, not the same with the crazy bug eyed midnight plumber about to crack you open like a christmas present. Talk to you guys later