Why do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tnerb, Jan 8, 2007.

1. draqon Banned Banned

self-conciousness.

sorry I am not LG...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nds1 Registered Senior Member

No problem. Even though I write LG, I actually am hoping others will answer.

Dragon, why can humans imagine a God mentally, yet no animal can?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Do humans really imagine God at all? And those who say they see God...do they really? Just an image they choose to suit the characteristics...

same thing with me saying: that was some hot sexy lade.

what do you imagine? well...its different from what I imagine.

Perhaps imagination is another human only characteristic...but I do lean towards the idea that humans can have imagination because of their brain capacity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nds1 Registered Senior Member

This sounds like a valid theory. The human brain is more developed than the animal brain, therefore the human brain has more capacity. It can do more.

I mean, there are different levels of brain capacity, right?

Take the worm for example. The worm has no emotion or desire to have fun. It just slides around and eats dirt its entire life.

Cats on the other hand display emotion. When they want to go outside and play, they cry and meow until someone opens the door. If someone doesn't open the door, they become frustrated and sad at the state of their life. Cats also have the ability to persuade humans to give them things and commincate somewhat with us. If they want to go outside, they will go to the door, look up at the doorknob, and hope a human opens it.

Worms don't display this type of advanced thinking and planning.

As far as being self-conscious, I thinks cats are. When my cat sees himself in a mirror, he doesn't attack the mirror as if what he is seeing is another cat.

Beta fish on the other hand do attack their reflections. So they are not self-conscious.

8. draqon Banned Banned

I wonder if the same thing applies to ants...
    Anyways this self-conciousness is seen in species that utilize their large brain...
    elephants
    dolphins
    chimps
    adult dogs and cats

I really suggest you go through this website about ants...to answer whether they are intelligent or not...
    http://ant.edb.miyakyo-u.ac.jp/BE/Kingdom/0405/0405e.html
    Read, scroll down, and press the blue arrows...
    its really interesting...

9. nds1 Registered Senior Member

I read though the site. Very interesting.

How is the small ant brain able to create a kingdom? It's almost as if they were born with preconceived knowledge of the other ants around them.

The ant kingdom has different chambers for different purposes. How the ants all work together and know what to do is beyond me.

10. draqon Banned Banned

exactly...this fascinates me...To have such coordinated work. They basically act as one entity. Sort of like a website that runs on a server thats made of many individual computers.

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

animals have no scope for transcendence - in other words it is practically impossible for an animal to understand that it is different from its body (and to the credit of contemporary human civilization, such a notion is also becoming increasingly difficult for humans to understand as well)

12. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I suppose I can assume that English may not be your first language and therefore forgive your lack of comprehension. In the link you provided, I most certainly did not say "all."

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

instead you said " there are many of your posts that I simply can't be arsed to read." which amounts to the same q .... why should a person be bothered to write something to a person who cannot be bothered reading (of course engaging in a variety of other measures to disrupt the flow of a thread certainly gets your wpm's rolling)

14. draqon Banned Banned

Because someone else might listen.

Why bother cry help when noone is seen around? Because someone might hear.

Hope...is the answer.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

on the contrary strangers tend to turn off completely when they encounter threads that are made up of an endless stream of trolling, ad homs etc that talk about anything and everything except the posted title

16. draqon Banned Banned

on the contrary I believe that this discussion does have to do with the question posed by this thread:
    " Why do you believe in God? "

Now...I dont believe in God...but there is "hope"...that relevant word

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hope for what?

18. draqon Banned Banned

for finding the answer to life and my purpose of existence. To have hope that my belief is true because through all the logic it holds true. To hope that if I am false in my atheist views...there will be time to change...

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

then why don't you identify as an agnostic (one who doesn't know if they know there is a god)?

20. draqon Banned Banned

because I arrived to atheism through logic...however if proof is given to me of God than it is definitely be best for me to get down to believing in God, because if he exists and I dont believe in him...I fear not of smile on his face towards me.

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you have no proof that god doesn't exist either, so its not clear why you don't identify as an agnostic

22. draqon Banned Banned

because I want to have solid belief. And not hang in between.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

therefore an agnostic solidly believes that they don't know whether they believe in god or not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!