Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ah, alright. I generally think of the DS2 as killing planets... not ships. Which movie was this in exactly? I dont' remember that scene but it sounds like it was a fun one to watch.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

I think I found a weakness of Trek. They have no shields while cloaked, whilst SW I think do. This is countered by them being able to shoot while cloaked, but so can SW, just not with too much accuracy. The one exception to that is using fire control TIEs, which would lead to Trek getting fucked 5 ways from Sunday. With cloaking not being a tactically viable option, you lose the otherwise immense firepower of several ships. Or am I wrong.

If theres one thing I like about Star Trek, its the "Loop-de-Loop of Death" they do when homing in on a cloaked target.

Also, does no one know where I can get a copy of Star Trek;Bridge Commander? I loved the demo, namely becuase I would take control of the ship and start a demolition derby by crashing ships all over the place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay so a force that was able to accelerate them 0.016532258064516129032258064516129 cm per second or 0.000016869651086240947992100065832785 gravity is enough to make them worry about the ship being destroyed?

So despite the fact that inside it's little bubble of space that is NOT MOVING the Voyager lost Hull plates? This despite Main deflector still working. Seems to me that Voyager has a major problems with keep it's integrity

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

No, untill it is denied or confirnmed by on screen observation then it is nothing more than index. Memory Alpha is NOT canon, it's just that simple. It's just a guide to where you might find the canon info

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

maha

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Return of the jedi during the space battle over Endor good scene actually as the DSII fires and utterly annhilates a huge Mon Cal battleship like it was nothing.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I don't understand how that works though... that's like saying if I'm writing an essay on a subject and I use entirely researched material that isn't my own, citing it properly, that my essay is not researched? Or do you mean canon as in they themselves? Their facts are canon (from canon sources, that being on screen) though their site itself is of fanmade origin.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It used the SuperLaser at like, 1/3rd power right? I think I remember the scene you're talking about.

12. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

And the thing is, the DS2 fires faster when destroying ships becuase it uses less power. And the thing had a more advanced power system then the origional and could destroy a few planets everyday compared to the DS1 having to wait a day before firings becuase of rechage times.

13. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

The Superlaser your think of is on the Eclipse series of vessels. This was at an unimaginably tiny fraction of total potential output.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually Warp has NO FORCE as it is decribed in Star Trek. There is a bubble of space surrounding the vessel that DOES NOT MOVE and they expand space behind them and shorten it in front of them. In all reality it is if if the ship never actually moves.

But really the show pretty much tells you something 1/50,000th of one gravity is a serious threat to the ship

Actually if you think of it since the space around the vessel is not moving, then the dust around the ship stationary in there as well. The only threats would be objects that might already have their own inertia.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

maha

16. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually their facts come from fans and from resoporces specifically not canon themselves. Paramount and before them Gene specifically decreed only the live series and the movies are canon, NOTHING else is.

Some facts may come from canon on MA, but the fact that it is not canon in and of itself.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but the parts of it they cite from the movies or series directly are canon facts, right?

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Only once verified. Remeber this is a flavor of Wiki.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

True... but how can I prove I have verified them? That's what I'm wondering *shrugs*

20. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I did notice one thing while watching star wars. In that epic space battle in Return of the Jedi, the x-wings are firing at other objects while aiming and shooting manually. First of all, space is very very very very VERY BIG! in addition to that, objects move very very fast in space. It would require a computer to have the reaction time that those rebel pilots have in order to shoot those tie fighters.

21. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

You have no proof that SW ships have no cloak, in the movies they make references to things that have never been estableshed before.:crazy:

Ep: V ESB

Random Bridge Officer: Sir, we've lost them!

Cptn. (Needa?): Impossible, a ship that small dosen't have a cloak!
    :runaway:

Audience: What's a cloak?:shrug:

22. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Thank you, yet on the delta flyer, every thing is computer controled, meaning its quite the killer in a dog-fight.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Man, Trek has good taste in vehicles!

23. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

It would be horrific if star wars was a vision of the future. It's a utopian environment with a mix of some future tech and low tech (i.e. Storm troopers getting their asses kicked by teddy bears:bugeye

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Star trek on the other is in fact a great and relistic look at the future. No damn politics and everyone on earth almost gets along. The tech is a lot more interesting as well and the scientific research that they conduct. Star Wars on the other hand should actually be considered as a fantasy and not as a sci-fi. I am likely to be quoted so as a victory phrase I say: I HAVE SPOKEN!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.