Man Beheads Wife in 'Honor' Killing

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by jessiej920, Feb 19, 2009.

1. John99 Banned Banned

You are confused about someone going to prison for cutting off another persons head?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

No, not at all. I think he should be jailed for 15 years at least.

However I am confused by your statement, quoting "Hardly seems rational to let someone go who did this one time because obviously he can easily do it again"

Because we all do something bad in our life, some of us steal cookies from a jar above a fridge, some pick on girls and poke them, others steal a watch...so...does that mean we should be let go and should not be given another chance to improve ourselves? :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

Depends on how severe the crime is. What would improving be?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

All I am saying is that everyone needs to be given a chance and all should be forgiven.

Improvement would be not commiting the said crime or any crime to begin with. Improvement psychologically and spiritually to change the way one thinks that made him choose such a faulty decision.

8. scott3x Banned Banned

Seconded

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Forgiveness is fine; not taking the proper steps to try to ensure that the wrong doesn't happen again isn't.

9. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

SAM, just out of curiosity, does that provision include when a husband throws acid in his wife's face ?

Sorry, but imo anyone that beheads someone else should be prosecuted for murder unless it was in self-defense (which I highly doubt).
    Same with acid-in-the-face, prosecute the offender.

10. draqon Banned Banned

Cazzo...I see that the crime you described above is aweful and the suffering in the face, but why punish us and make us see this? put it inside a link, please.

11. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

Some people have heard of how some radical groups support acid thrown in muslim women's faces,
    but you don't realize the impact until you actually see it.....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  12. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Pardoning head choppers and acid throwers saves the cost of building new prisons. It also makes crime statistics look good. For every 10 beheaded woman, pardon 9 axe swingers and the murder rate drops severely.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  13. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I think he should be jailed for 15 years at least.

only if he is raped daily

14. draqon Banned Banned

your proposal is wrong and is unjustified.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Punishments are also for deterrent purposes. Domestic violence is not limited to any particular country.

16. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

If a muslim woman is beheaded in an honor killing does it go into the books as a murder statistic? If 10 people conspire to decapitate a muslim woman do all 10 get a murder rap? Do forgiven head whackers get a murder rap?

What constitites a murder in the Islamic religion? Perhaps that should be clarified first.

17. swarm Registered Senior Member

"Honor" killing is murder in the US.

18. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

so is 15 years

19. draqon Banned Banned

whats wrong with 15 years? He clearly was swayed mainly by religious wrong guidance.

20. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I agree. Despite his religious beliefs or not, he is currently a resident of the good ol' US of A and should therefore be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

and girl, why are you so concerned with this? if you need a bf, I am here when you need me.

Was this part directed at me? I wasn't sure. I didn't think you liked me very much at all.

Anway, thanks for your honest and thoughtful response

21. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Yes he has been charged due to confession.

According to police and media, he has confessed to the murder.

Link: http://www.newser.com/story/51123/ny-wife-beheading-blasted-as-honor-killing.html

This does not mean that he doesn't deserve a fair and speedy trial and shouldn't remain innocent until proven guilty, but what I am trying to get at is, if it was an 'honor' killing embedded in religious practices, why people believe that this is an excuse to break the law when the country that they are a resident of does not recognize such practices as lawful.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Honour killings are a cultural expression of a basic primate instinct, on the part of males, to assert ownership over females, for reproductive purposes. It has bugger all to do with religion (except that religion is usurped to justify the behaviour) so the bulk of the comments in this thread are irrelevant, shallow and pointless.

(Sometimes I wonder if anyone on this forum has a brain.)

23. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Whether this man's actions stem from a deep-seeded primal instinct, as you say, to dominate the female and assert ownership, as humans, throughout many different cultures and countries, we have created laws to which we adhere to in order to maintain civility and peace. Primal instinct or not, religion or not, if we are to follow the laws that are dictated by our countries, then what this man did was unlawful. It is not brainless stupidity to assert this opinion. In America, murder is against the law and cannot be justified by 'primal' instinct or religion. Mitigating circumstances as well as insanity defenses are considered, but murder is murder and it is punishable by the law of which country you reside in. What exceptional knowledge of this specific case leads you to think you have more brain power when it comes to understanding motives of this man's actions?