Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Bullshit, the creator IS SW!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Yes, I am playing StarCraft Brood War. I just check on it every 16 minuts or so, or when there is new posts. I have school, and other things.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm? At 1000 posts in just a few months? Are you sure?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

My posts states that he is not. So acording to you Star Trek is dead because Roddenbery is dead. Stop posting that sort of crap.

Do you need me to explain every sentence for you, or you can read yourself.

8. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I did all my homework on the first day the teacher assigned it, so thats why I have time for these things.

9. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

"I would hope there are bright young people, growing up all the time, who will bring to it [i.e. Trek] levels and areas that were beyond me, and I don't feel jealous about that at all [...] It'll go on, without any of us, and get better and better and better, because that's the . . . that really is the human condition. It's to improve and improve."

"'Oh, that Roddenberry, he was never this good'."

- Gene Roddenberry, Great Bird of the Galaxy, 1988 - "The Star Trek Saga: From One Generation to the Next"
    (Direct Link)
    (Portions of the interview also appear in The Star Trek 25th Anniversary Special (1991), and as a part of the special features of the TNG Season 5 DVD set.)

"Several years later, at a STAR TREK convention in Los Angeles, about a year before his death, Gene Roddenberry spoke to the gathered fans about the future of STAR TREK. He had seen his creation span generations of viewers, he had heard the fans of both The Original Series and the new debate the pros and cons of both, and though there had been no formal talks of a third series at this time, he spoke of how he perceived STAR TREK's future, after he was gone.

With a charm and sincerity that clearly came from a person who was used to studying human behavior from the perspective of one who looked into the future, Roddenberry said that he expected -- indeed, he hoped -- that in the years to come, new generations of fans would look at the new forms of STAR TREK being produced and say, "This is real STAR TREK. Those other people back there at the beginning, they didn't do it half as well." "

- Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, Star Trek book authors, 1994 - The Making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, p. 49
    (Direct Link)
    (Roddenberry died in 1991, placing the convention circa 1990. These two are now writing ST:ENT.)

"Anyway, this is the way Star Trek is running itself now. Stories are done solely under the guidance of Michael Piller and Rick Berman. It is their responsibility now, and I could not possibly step in and violate that arrangement."

- Gene Roddenberry, Great Bird of the Galaxy, 1991 - Letter to David Gerrold (quoted in Star Trek Creator)

http://www.canonwars.com/STCanonquotes.html#1968-Rod-Unilateral

I'd say we can safely assume Gene wanted Trek to conitune after him...

10. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

"After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga."- George Lucas

"Part of the job of the director is to sort of keep everything in line, and I can do that in the movies—but I can't do it on the whole Star Wars universe." - George Lucas in Star Wars Insider

Well, acording to this EU is a part of canon Star Wars.

11. Saquist Banned Banned

12. Saquist Banned Banned

No doubt EU is canon. Yet it's not equal to movie canon.

13. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Well, I mean one shot from it's Superlaser, it said that it can but it never did. I don't remmeber it said that It fired on full power in the series. full power take a minut to charge.
    Here is the sources:
    The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
    The New Essential Guide to Characters

Fission missiles. They are usally for harrasment fire, and they are atleast more powerful then laser cannons. Proton Tropedos are more powerful. Harrasment fire and heavy bombardment are diffrent.

You need heavy weapons to take down an ISD.

A crash in the bridge. They only had their bridge shields on in the battle.

Fission missiles, not nuclear.
    It is not really laser, it is blaster bolts.
    [/QUOTE]
    The bridge shields were the only shields that were on.

14. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Thats what I said, they just keep post that EU is non canon.

15. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Saquist, you should get the Dark Empire series, then you know how good Star Wars is.

16. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

do we have to get into this again.

Fission is Nuclear.
    so is Fusion

for more on this, check the posts from the first week or so you were here

17. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I know, but that is only harrasment fire.

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

ok lad, a quick lession in nuclear phisics untill you are old enough to learn it in school (probably some 2 years from now):
    nuclear reactions=all interactions that involve atomic cores (nucleus) and subsiquent conversion of those. there are 3 basic types of nuclear reacions:
    1. nuclear fission=the least energy prodctive reaction. larger (heavier) cores are devided into smaller (lighter). the resulting mass defect is released as energy;
    2. nuclear fusion=more energy productive process. lighter atoms fuse to create heavier atoms. the resulting mass defect is released as energy;
    3.matter-antimatter anihilation=the most energy productive process. unde ideal sircumstancess all of the atom's mass gets converted to energy (the mass defect=mass of the atom). however such conversion is nearly impossible to acheave with todays tech. so most m-am reactions are less then 100% efective but still far more powerfull then any other nuclear reaction.

bottom line, fission missile=the least powerfull type of nuclear missile.

19. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I thought thermelnuclear = fission. Is thermel nuclear fission or fusion?

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, show me where Lucas said the EU was not canon. Show me where he said it was not part of Star Wars. Show me where he said the only things that happen in Star Wars are in the movies.

So we are not allowed to use a tactic you use regularly. Hell, Roddenberry is quated as saying "It is not Star Trek until I say it is." Which is much more concrete than anything Lucas has said. If you go by the creators words Only TOS, TNG (to season 4) and the first six Star Trek movies are canon. Even then he thought parts of Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country were just a little too out there.

First of all George Lucas recognized that Dr. Saxton is a talented Astophsicist and that his observation of the movies were insightful and accurate. He approved of Dr. Saxton to write the pair of book he did, to contribute to two others and to be a techinal advisor on still more.

Second you make it sound as if the ICS was written for kindergarteners. It grade range was 4th to 8th, meaning you have to have in that area of reading comprehension to actually understand the book. You are also assuming that books aimed for 9 to 13 years olds could not be accurate.

Thirdly, Lucas is not a dumb man. He knew the types of things being printed in the books and believes that Dr. Saxton was providing a accurate assessment based on viewing the movies.

Fourthly, you have provided no evidence that the firepower listed in ICS is too high. Your claims thus far have been thoroughly disproven by even a cursory examination of the facts. In order to disprove Dr. Saxtons assertions you would need to provide a superior analysis of data, not just rant that it's a book aimed fot 4th to 8th graders.

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, let's be more fair here. Of the elements we know that is true. Seeing as how we are discovering new ones and creating new ones every decade this may not always be true. You have to careful here.

However you are being incorrect in the number of reactions. There are only two.

Fission: Splitting a larger atom into two or more parts results in the parts having less mass than the whole, the excess is converted to energy. Smaller atoms however gain mass and thus have an energy cost.

Fusion: Joining two smaller atoms together causes a reduction of total mass and a output of energy. Jpining two larger atoms together cuases an increase in mass and thus a net loss of energy. Combining matter and antimatter always cuases an annhilation of mass and a net gain of energy, whether the atoms are large or small. Yes, Matter/Antimatter reactors are fusion reactors too.

It should be of note that the energy to produce an environment where Fusion take place has a MUCH higher initial cost than creating an environment where Fission takes place.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Thermonuclear is almost always a Fission device. and honestly it is far more efficent and easy to make currently than a fusion device and likely to be the case forever.

23. Saquist Banned Banned

So it didn't actually happen.
    It was mentioned and only mentioned in Manuals and not in stories.
    Okay...

It's not really important what you call it SJ.

And? What does that justify?

You're saying that the Commander of the Executor went into a fleet battle and purposely left everyshield unpowered but the Bridge shields?
    Fascinating.

A spontaneous nuclear transformation (radioactivity) characterized by the emission of energy and mass from the nucleus of the atom

Fission which is used in vessels such as in Carriers and Nuclear submarines

I have to overrule you. The EU specificly says lasers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.