Muslim Experience in America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DiamondHearts, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

People can pray all they like in school so long as it's not disruptive to the other students. However, if it's a public school, then I am against building observatories to pray to Xenu or rooms to pray to Mecca. It sends the wrong message.

In the hypothetical story about your mother converting to Scientology. I wondered if you'd think she has been brainwashed? or do you suppose shaving one's head, painting a star on the top and praying 1 time every hour for 3 minutes facing Alpha Centauri is the behavior of a normal person who has found religous meaning and truth?

So? Brainwashed or normal?

Michael

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

i heard a lot of things about Scientologists. not good things.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

you present bogus choices
    one has to be clearly insane to believe either
    sorry
    try again

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

And I saw an interview about some non-religous English who converted to Islam. One girl said she liked that she didn't have to worry because she didn't have to think anymore.

Considering 99.9% of "religous" people simply take the religion of their parents and don't give two craps after that (meh, I'm going to heaven) the very few people that do convert do so for extra ordinary reasons. There's probably a similar percentage of people who invest in online Nigerian millionaire scams.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

take your bigotry elsewhere
    scientologists do good works as is clearly evinced in this video

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

/frown

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're wrong actually. Many people change their faith and many people do not follow their parents faith. My own family is mixed. We have Muslims, Hindus, Christians [by marriage] and Zorastrians. I'm probably the most religious person in my immediate family and I'm more learned in the religion than practising.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Chris joined Scientology and said it was very pro-family values and community responsibility.

OK, suppose your friend meets a 50 years old Imam and after speaking with him a few times suddenly converts to Islam, she changes her diet, she changes her name to an Arab one, she now prays 5 times a day for 15 min facing an Arab city, she now only wears a Bukra when going outside, she spends all of her free time studying a 1000 year old religous book or Arabic (which she tells you is the Perfect language - God's tongue), she tells you that Mohammad (PBUH) is the Last Prophet, she will not have a glass of wine with you now, she tells you that only the Qur'an is perfect, she surrounds herself with only other people that are in this religion. She decides it is God's will she become this Imam's 4th wife.

She is now a Qur'an Muslim only.

So? What do you think? COULD it be possible she has been Brainwashed?
    Would you worry about her?

Michael

11. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I didn't say a lot didn't, but percentage wise it's extremely small. The overwhelmingly majority of people take the beleif of their patents.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have some figures for USAmericans

Its from fauxnews, but the original source is valid.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332590,00.html

14. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

the US is a big country. all those surveys dont say a lot. and in anyway, Michael is right.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not true in my family and its not true in my friends either.

16. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

you are in the small minority.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Minority what? I meet a wide swathe of people from different socioeconomic backgrounds. Last year, my devoutly Catholic Indian friend married an atheist British guy. What do you think their children will follow?

18. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

they will follow Jesus Christ.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I will tell her, it will make her very happy.

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Once you eliminate atheism (or non-religous) which is becoming more normal in the USA the majority of converts are form one form of Xianity to another. Protestant to Catholic. Catholic to Mormon. Etc... very few people become Scientologist or Muslims.

That said, the way the world is connected now, I think more and more people will try out new beliefs.

By philosophy, Christianity is probably the most conducive for conversion. But, maybe Buddhism as well? We'll see. I for one have little doubt atheism will ultimately be the most prevelant IF societies continues to progress forward and poverty is mainly eliminated.

21. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

but they will convert to Islam later. when theyll grow up they will flood westerns forums with anti american propaganda and put on a stupid grim.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Atheism has been prevalent at many times in history. However as a social system, it tends to individualism and hence has a tendency to collapse on itself. It can only be sustained as a part of a theist society.

You mean this -->

?

23. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

rubbish.