Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually no. SW tech is so far more advanced that it would take hundreds of years to reverse engineer it, unless you had a Wesley type genius working on it. Then it would be decades.

Now I know you'd say they would just read the computer banks. Well the banks of the average SD does not have full technical readouts, or explantions of the tech unlike their Fed counterparts.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

but it is also flying weapons hot, and shooting like there is no tommorow. seaing how all weapons in SF are visible (ST no exception) why no one bothered to track the weapon source dynamics and use it to predict the Scimitar location? i would have given that yellobelly a better run for the money i think. at least more phasers would have hit the target. still, even as incompetent as the feds were, they scored quite a few hits and the Scimitar's shields still held for most of the battle even when they had to use so much enery for the cloack.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i doubt it. the DS if freaking huge. no drill (even if wasn't armored) would do. besides it has HTLs to protect it. it will fire back.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

meh, who could say. we can only speculate.

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

they do that every now and then, but never on the long run, it is more a tactical then a strategic solution.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

look lasers might not not "penetrate" the grav.based deflector shields, but they will wear them down eventually.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

in Scimitar's case it woul be so just because of the cloacking device

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

sure there are planet killers, even star killers and star system effecting weapons, but most are not directed energy weapons.

12. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Kitt you mentioned that sensors in SW can't be good because they could not detect lifesigns and stuff on the DS but yet in ST the e-e can't detecked the same things on a cloaked vessel. isn't it fair to say that the DS has some kind of 'masking' ability. Infact it took obi-one to use the force before the knew it was not a moon. It doesn't have to be cloaked , because it looks like a moon.

oh yeah euh the scimitar doesn't really need a exhaust vent does it? a good ramming would take it out just as easily. and it shields where still functional. so a few thousand fighterdroids could do the trick lol

as al torps are way slower then TL's your torps are pretty useless. otherwise the ywings just had to drop there payload

the destruction of the ds2 is just because of the emperor's self astream. he untherestamated the power of guerillia warfare. (as did a lot of us presidents lol)
    if it shields would be still up, the rebellion would have been oblivarated.

as for e-e vs scimitar it is plain and simple. if it where a Romulan or Klingon instead of shinron the e-e would be squached like a cockroach. it would have taken less than 5 minutes.
    the scimitar would have taken out the whole fed's fleet one by one. be glad it was the only one of his kind. imagine a fleet of those asskickers. now THAT would make ST vs SW intresting

13. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Yet in Voyager you see a lasers hit the shield creating a whole ??? so a smaller vessel can fly through and ram Voyager. i admit that Chakota's ex did knew the frequencies but still they we're ages behind the FED's on terms of technologie.

In fact ST shields are just as powerfull as the protection of their frequencies.

i think one shot of a ds would wear their shields down quit easily.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I never said the E-E would WIN, but in a standing battle it would have faired a bit better if not for those things... and the firing thru cloak of course.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*chuckles* Ah me, how funny

You're always good for a laugh

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Problem is, without going full-computer control, you can't really use the incoming weapons fire to triangulate the position. We're talking relativisticly fast weapons... even at .25c, you only have a tenth of a second at best to see them. The Feds don't like going full-computer control because A) they've had bad experiences with that in the past (TOS: The Computer) and B) Computers don't have intellect or cunning

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I dunno mate... it took a Galaxy Class only a handful of shots at near-minimum power to drill a few hundred KM thru a planets crust... imagine what a handful of high-powered warships could do firing their phaser banks at the exact same spot (ala Star Trek: First Contact) would do to even the Death Star. I predict major damage on the scale of leaving a nicely sized crater.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Maybe, but Meltas, Bolters, and other kinetic or projectile based weapons are going to be largely useless... leaving you with a handful of laser cannon batteries per ship.

And again, that's assuming WH40K can even track a target moving between 50%->90% the speed of light.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, I don't think the Ent-E could beat the Scimitar 1v1... but if it were ANY other captain on the Scimitar, I think Picard could have fair'ed far, far better. For starters, he wouldn't be so worried about having a little clone of himself running around

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

One shot of a Death Star would never HIT a Trek ship... lol. They'd detect that massive power buildup, see the Laser charge, and micro-warp jump out of the way in a heartbeat.

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Okay how bout this for an arguement for the shield capability of a WH40k ship. The planet destroyer in TOS obliterated enemy ships left or right, regardless of shields. No trek weapon could even touch the damned thing.

Yet, when the WH40k ships squared off against a real planet killer, one the size of a fucking planet, They resisted that destructive power not only through their shields but also their fucking hull.

Now in reality, it doesnt matter if a planet destroying device is a super laser, radiation, or just a ton of gauss cannons, or even lascannons, it takes an amount of energy to destroy a planet, And radiation, and even lascannons are just different manifestations of energy. And the fact is that if a ST ship can hardly even repel that much energy yet a WH40k ship chews it up and spits it out, than who do you think has superior shields?

If a ST ship faces off against a WH40k ship, they would be facing the firepower that would destroy planets without a sweat.

Imagine taking two scimitars and having them duke it out against one another, that is around the same amount of firepower as two battleships in WH40k. So tell me, if the federation could hardly fend off one scimitar, how exactly is it going to face off against 39,000?

P.S. A frigate could rip your little defiant to pieces in seconds, theyre specialized anti fighter and fast destroyer ships.

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

A few of mine are, im pretty damn sure there arent that many ST shields in existance that can take that sort of punishment.

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well for starters, planets aren't made out of metal, or armor, and two they only have to drill a few miles before reaching magma and than it is all downhill from their.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.