What exactly is atheism?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jan Ardena, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

And I also agree with this.
    Despite our tiffs around the word, I do think the distinction between those who believe there is no God and those who simply lack a belief in God is significant enough to warrent two terms.

I do not like anti-theism for reasons already said, though I do acknowledge dictionary and some usage support for it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Me either, which is why I dislike the 'strong' and 'weak' labels. Atheism is atheism, and there are other viewpoints which have things in common with atheism (are subsets, or intersecting sets) but they do not alter the definition of the superset.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If done properly, i.e. a definition to fit everyone, we would end up with hundreds of different shades of atheism. How is that making things better ?
    I don't fit any of the 'sub'-definitions perfectly, I doubt anyone does. Unless you keep them generalized enough..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I fully agree

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Or, rather, I think this makes sense for the definition of atheism you have.

9. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Any superset has subdivisions.

See, the way I see it part of the problem is the fact that what you call anti-theists are calling themselves atheists. I think part of any taking back this word 'atheist' will have to involve internecine struggle. There is often reluctance to do this, but false unities blur everything and feed misconceptions.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but we are forced to call it a superset now that all these subsets have been made up.. lol

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Perhaps then, an arbiter must step forward to announce just how many centuries must expire before gods existence is known. How much more must we endure of the claims of theists who have been unable to demonstrate anything for hundreds of years? Have we not gathered enough information together these past millennium demonstrating the utter impotence of theists claims of the supernatural?

Then, let's just concentrate on the claims, and ignore their behavior, or are they one and the same?

Simon, step back a moment and think about the claims of theists and the knowledge of god they purport. Has a theist ever been able to demonstrate one single claim of the supernatural? How long are we to give theists the opportunity to vindicate themselves and demonstrate their claims?

12. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure who your 'we' is.

I'm a theist.

You and I are in very different positions in relation to this. I do not expect you to give anyone opportunities of this sort. You can believe what you like.

13. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Well, no. The problem was there before. Unless you have a good name for those who believe there is no God, for example.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sure, atheists.. :shrug:

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Are you also skeptical of the claims of atheists? The claim that there is no God? Most people around here who claim to be atheists are really undercover skeptics.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Simon, could you please give your opinion about that image I posted ?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Atheists make no such claim, not all at least.

18. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

hey, it's OK. But then you have what Phlog calls anti-theists in that last category. Possibly also agnostics. If atheists are going to be upset about being confused with certain beliefs then the categories that atheists have need to be clear for others.

19. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

And so the confusion will go on. I can live with it, but it sure spins the tail of some atheists.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

What's not clear ? Not believing in any god is all that's required. All atheists fit that description.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

And, you've been given every opportunity to demonstrate claims of the supernatural. You haven't, neither has anyone else. How much more time would you like before we can shelf your beliefs alongside the other myths and superstitions mankind has created, and start tearing down religious influence in society? Mankind would surely like to move on beyond the Bronze Age, if you please.

What, that's it? :shrug:

Of course, we're in very different positions. I can demonstrate nature, you cannot demonstrate gods. BIG difference. Yours is a position of faith in the invisible and undetectable, hence you can make up anything you want, and believe in it as a reality. Reality would abhor your position.

22. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Phlog sees a trend where theists are assuming that atheists are all antitheists. Having an inclusive category will add to the confusion there.

Having medicine woman, for example, calling herself an atheist and saying there are no gods will add to theists beliefs that atheists believe there are no gods.

I also think the lack of confrontation between these two types of believers adds to the confusion.

Further I think some people believe there are no gods and talk in this way to theists, but when it comes down to being careful about self-description they define themselves as simply lacking a belief.

I think this also adds to tensions.

I think there are language and behavioral patterns that add to the conflict. there is already a conflict and cleaning up the language and behavior will not end it. But still....

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yes, I am skeptical of atheists claims, but so far, they are the ones who are right demonstrating the non-existence of gods as opposed to theists unable to demonstrate anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.