Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You want to bring back makers of old tech? Aight.

We bring to the Trek side of the field:

Dyson Spheres
    Doomsday Devices
    Tactical Fusion Cubes
    AND
    Travelers to modify our ships

Now we're FASTER than you, can destroy a planet EASIER than you, have more sheer size and armor than you, and have an INVINCIBLE base of operations.

So, you want to leave the past in the past... or bring it back and be screwed even worse?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Rukgo, give it a rest. We trek supporters are TIRED of TW-clones... lets get someone that can actually argue the facts:

Trek advantages in average ship firepower, fighter firepower, defenses, tactical flights, use of tactics, omnipotent beings, and tactical speed
    Wars advantages in super-ship firepower, fighter swarms, logistical speed, number of ships, semi-omnipotent beings, and sheer size.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hotspur Registered Member

...and a set of serious design flaws that seem to plague every Imperial vessel.

Canon evidence?

You're kidding, right?

If a Star Destroyer was actually capable of destroying stars, the Empire wouldn't need a Death Star.

Furthermore, the ability to destroy a star is well within Star Fleet's capabilities; a single photon torpedo equipped with a trilithium device will force a stellar implosion.

Herein lies a major difference in this discussion: We've actually observed Star Trek technology destroying stars. You're merely speculating that the Star Wars universe possesses such an ability. It's certainly never stated in any of the movies, and as Lucas himself has stated, the EU is another universe completely separate from the movies.

And while the Empire requires at least 1,000 ships to destroy a plane (according to Han Solo), Species 8472 can perform the same feat with only nine ships.

We only care about one canon: the movies. Everything else is a different universe, per Lucas.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

"A Force user has no limits. Yoda: Size matters not."
    it means you can do what you can do. it does not matter how large you are or the target. so sais Yoda and then he busts his ears to raise the X-Wing

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Yes, I know, Force Ghost can't DIRECTLY affect you. There is no reason why an army of millions, unwary, cannot be turned by him"

turned??? they can only interact with force users. no force, no interaction. otherwise there would be no free will in SW.

"And arguing that the Empire has more resources is unacceptable."
    huh? they controll at least 1/2 the galaxy. if this does not boost their resource base i don't know what will.

"Anyway. There were 2 Death Stars, 1 prototype"
    the superlaser does not seam well designed to fight other ships. well statcic SW ships maybe, after they formed a perimeter around the DS.

"A interdiction field from the Centerpoint can get rid of the traveling issue..."
    as stated interdictiors won't work on Warp Drives, or any other ST FTL we know of. especially if travelers are involved. they can reach any destination in this universe and even travel to other universes.

"And don't forget that Imperial capital ships are called Star Destroyer. Why? Because they pack the power and ability to destroy stars..."

LOL, right untill this i thought you were serious

"Q may be strong. Actually, the stronger the better since they will be helping the Wars later. They can still be influenced by jedi even if they are invincible and physically impossible to defeat. Simply turn and change them. Anyway, if they are gods, then Anakin can count as one too since he was a human but not human-fathered..."
    how did you get the idea a Q can be influenced by the force? when Anakin is at stake, the most he can aspire for is God's child, in essence a messiah, a half god. when his abilities are concerned, he is an above average Jedi (one of the best, but i doubt he can match Windu, Yoda or Palpatine).

8. Saquist Banned Banned

OMG this entire post was just awful...

9. Rukqo Registered Member

Death Star can blow up a planet with one beam. A Star Destroyer can do the same. Look up the Caamaas Document Crisis. Canon: A few Star Destroyers destroyed Caamaas. Star Destroyers can, given time, do a huge amount of destruction.

A borg cube can easily be destroyed by a Death Star. A beam can punch through the infrastructure and you can kiss is goodbye. We just have to make more than 1 Death Star. Also, the magnitude of the Death Star is unstoppable. It takes at least 40 billion gigawatts to destroy a small sized planet. A Death Star can easily do that and more.

An Eclipse class superstardestroyer has 12 main superweapons. If all fire at once, even a GalaxyX will be blown out of the sky.

The Q cannot make the Star Wars Universe never exist because the Star Wars universe is exactly the same as ours which is the same as the Trek Universe. "In a galaxy far far away." means that if Q destroy the Star Wars Universe, then Star Trek will never exist and thus is a paradox. So, until the Star Trek thingys happen, either Star Wars win or everything is gone. With eveything gone, Q would have never existed, and Star Wars will be never destroyed (another paradox) and Star Wars still wins.

If Q destroys or "unexists" anything in Star Wars, Wars can simply enter hyperspace and reverse everything the Q can do. And strike out at every single ship the Trek has..

10. Rukqo Registered Member

OMG. If you have nothing to say...give up!!

11. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I've never seen anyone seriously suggest that our galaxy and the star wars galaxy were the same... though you could construe long time ago and galaxy far far away that way... no one does.

all the sources i've seen seem to say the eclipse has one coaxial super laser, plus a frackin' ton of ordinary turbo lasers

12. Hotspur Registered Member

So can Species 8472...using far fewer resources than the Death Star.

In fact, Star Fleet could construct a number of trilithium devices at a fraction of the resources necessary for the Death Star.

Here's the Wookipedia entry on Caamas:

"Caamas was once a temperate, hospitable world of jungles, marshes, steppes, and rolling hills. Its dense rainforests and jungles teemed with life. After the Imperial bombardment, nearly all flora and fauna either disappeared or were mutated beyond recognition. Caamas became a barren waste, and without vegetation to release oxygen, the atmosphere became toxic and unbreathable. Bombardment kicked up smoke and dust into the air, and the surface became wracked by dust storms and falling soot, eroding the surface and sending dirt and mud into the oceans. The waters, once teeming with sea life, became muddy, polluted, stagnant, and lifeless."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Camaas

In the Caamas incident, multiple Star Destroyers were required to destroy the habitable region of a planet--a feat that a single Federation starship from the TOS era could have performed with ease.

In essence, Captain Kirk's Enterprise by itself had the firepower to do the same level of destruction to Camaas. So forgive us if we aren't overly impressed.

By the DS9 era, a single starship could destroy a planet's crust in a matter of minutes.

Infrastructure?

in·fra·struc·ture
    1. the basic, underlying framework or features of a system or organization.
    2. the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country, city, or area, as transportation and communication systems, power plants, and schools.
    3. the military installations of a country.

How does one "punch through" an infrastructure?

You can't possibly be this obtuse. You're just jerkin' our chain, right?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  13. Rukqo Registered Member

I would say that multiple Star Destroyers were for the defense of Camaas. I doubt that a single Federation starship can penetrate a planetary defense shield, a fleet of whatever the Camaas had, and even damage the very structure of the Caamaas planet. Also, even if a Fed starship had that power, it would take a lot of time. The time necesary for the Old Republic gov't to send...say a fleet of Republic cruisers and an army of Jedi.

Forgive me if I'm not the best Trekkie fan, but from what I saw, the inside of a Borg cube was pretty complex. A beam from Wars can certainly "punch" a hole in its superstructure or even incinerate the whole cube in a single beam. Maybe infrastructure wasn't the best word.

Enterprise does not pack enough power to destroy a Imperial class Star Destroyer. A few gigawatts of energy does not have what it needs to burn a hole through a metal hull.

A trilithium device collapses the star's core. That by itself is not amazing. A few concussion missiles or proton torpedoes from an X wing will be as good. The Sun Crusher used the same torpedoes to destroy star cores. Nothing amazing there.

Remember, the Death Star is not the strongest weapon the Wars have. In fact, newer superweapons are now being "made" by the Legacy authors. By the way, since no weapon or ship can destroy the second death star, that means that it is the stronger than anything in the Trek universe. Don't forget the might of the Galaxy Gun that can fire hyperspace projectiles. Since Trek doesn't have hyperspace and can't defend against those weapons, there is no way to stop the Galaxy Gun. yet.

14. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

We've already went through this many pages ago.

Ummmm yes it does. Han Solo said not even 1000 ISDs could destroy a planet. Yet we agreed on that an ST ship could destroy a planet in... 30 seconds? Guys is this right?

I seriously doubt that standard fighter weapons can destroy a sun's core.

The "Galaxy Gun", The "Sun Crusher". Does the empire have nothing better to do than build superweapons to later be destroyed?

Besides, that's EU.

I'm really getting tired of this shit.

You: Well I assume Star Destroyers can destroy stars because their name suggests-

Me: No no no no no no...

15. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

OMG, He has so much more to say.

You do to, that is if you consider bullshit something to say.

We are tired of people like you who provide no proof/logical explainations for your information. Seeing as you have never contributed to this argument (and probably never will), you should abandon your place here on this thread and never come back.

16. Hotspur Registered Member

Incorrect.

I've discussed this very issue so many times with other Wars fans that I'm starting to feel like a broken record.

In the TOS episode "Whom Gods Destroy," Captain Garth takes Captain Kirk hostage on the planet Elba II, and then erects a planetary defense shield to prevent the Enterprise from rescuing him.

Scotty, who had assumed command of the Enterpise in the absence of Kirk and Spock, has little doubt about the Enterprise's ability to take down the forcefield; however, Scotty is relunctant to order a full phaser attack because the energy necessary to overwhelm the shield would also be sufficient to destroy everything on the planet's surface.

In reality, planetary defense shields are more prevalent in Star Trek canon than they are in Star Wars canon.

Not really. In the DS9 episode "The Die is Cast," a fleet of 20 Romulan and Cardassian ships attacks the Founders Homeworld, and destroys 30 percent of the planetary crust in roughly five seconds. This means that a single starship could destroy a planet's entire crust in matter of minutes.

Star Trek vessels pack considerably more than just a few gigawatts. Saquist's screenshots from Q Who suggest a yield of many petawatts.

Canon evidence?

The Sun Crusher is EU and therefore not submissible to this debate.

Either way, any federation ship can be equipped with trilithium torpedoes. Not just one.

It is in the only evidence that matters--the movies.

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

a few gigawats of EM is probably not enough. but if you nead few GW to induce a radiation that does 100s of times more damage then your best ship weapons, then who neads the direct aproach. phasers have shown far more superior destructive abilities then TLs with only a fraction of the energy required to operate. a death star could not hope to target a moving target, though it still makes a nice turkey shot.

is it just me, or is the quality of the new pro-Wars debaters an inverse function of time? :bugeye:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  18. Rukqo Registered Member

Whatever. You can never destroy the Star Wars universe, because you'd be killing yourself before you succeed as the Star Wars universe is the same as this one.

This thread should have ended a long long time ago. Apparently no one figured that destroying the Star Wars universe is the same as destroying the Star Trek universe.

19. Rukqo Registered Member

And I still don't see anyone come up with a suggestion on how Star Trek can defeat the Second Death Star alone...

20. Saquist Banned Banned

Fascinating...I was completely unaware.

And the Entire planet with consistent bombardment in a matter of hours.

REALLY...petawatts.

As spock and McCoy showed torpedoes are modular and the warhead change would only need a stablizer rod for the trilithium resin.

Oh no...I was just stumbled at the profound ignorance of Star Trek's proven superiority and the of course the exagerations which you applied to Star Wars' despite what canon dictates.

21. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Where exactly are you getting the idea that they are the same?

well if we want to get super weapony, a genesis device will turn it into a nice moon... espcialy since the empire seems loath to equip the deathstars with particle shields (you'd think they'd have learned their lesson the first time)
    failing that... stay on the back side of the bloody thing and pound it until the ray shield drops (shouldn't be too long since the emitters will be vulnerable to attack from torpedoes) and then beam a quantum torpedo into the power core

22. Saquist Banned Banned

Indeed, Flectern. Star Wars is very dependent on less than full proof defenses...

23. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

It seems we've just started getting the ones who've read every star wars novel and seen about 3 episodes of star trek again... if you look at it this is largely how the thread started out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.