What exactly is atheism?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jan Ardena, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Atheists are labeled as atheists by theists..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Oh no. Many atheists make a point of calling themselves "atheists".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Iceaura has a point, though. Some Christian proselytizers hold a stance like this: "Everyone already believes in God and knows God. But some people are evil and refuse to admit that they believe in God, and they also deliberately try to blind themselves before the truth."
    Hence the difficulty of understanding there could be such a thing as "lack of belief in God".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sure, but they have been labeled as such by theists.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Believing God does not exist is the (for whatever) reason for non belief in God (atheism), and considered a rather foolish one at that.

jan.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Uh.. what ?

Are you saying that believing God does not exist is the reason for not believing in God ?

Do you see a difference between the two bold parts ?

10. Yorda Registered Senior Member

atheism is devilworship.

and if you believe in atheism, you automatically also believe in evolution, rationality, materialism, determinism and many other things. atheists don't believe in afterlife because they believe in materialism. an atheist is almost the same thing as scientist.

science and evolution is the religion of atheists. they claim that evolution is just a theory, like the theory of gravity or thermodynamics. those theories don't say anything about how we should live our life, but evolution does!

evolution is a worldview (almost like a religion). and when (young, ignorant) people apply it to their life they become nihilists! if you believe in evolution you automatically believe that you are an animal and your life has no meaning. you become depressed because you don't believe in free will because your brain is controlled by natural laws.

i know what i'm talking about because i live in a country where there are 85% atheists...

that's not true, yorda... most atheists are nice and happy people.

11. Myles Registered Senior Member

True to form Yorda. you have given us an intelligent, well put argument. Now you only have to support it.

12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Yes, on both counts.
    What is your point exactly?

jan.

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

greenberg,

We are automatically drawn to the essential. That is its attractive quality.
    There is no need to understand the physical make up of ice cream in order to access its essential quality.

You misunderstand me.

Knowledge of the essential is second rate understanding.
    The gopis, in the stories of Krishna, were not interested in God, or whether or not he exists, they only wanted to be in the company of Krishna.
    And they were regarded as Krishna's (Gods') most devoted devotees.

Faith is required through trying to understand everything. The devotee who surrenders to God, has no need of faith. He has come to the end of knowledge by dint of service to the essence (santana dharma).

Why do you think faith is a gamble? If I put my faith in the words and deed
    of Jesus Christ, what exactly have I gambled. Especially if, within his words and deeds, I come into contact with the essence.

Yes, the caller who remains the same, calls himself by different names. Irregardless of the condition of the caller, he still remains the same. This is true is it not? Sally the tranvestite, who used to be Larry the lorry driver, is still essentially the same person.

I've got to go now.
    I will finish responding to the rest of your post later on.

jan.

14. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Excuse me, I haven't eaten ice cream in ages. What would be the essential quality of ice cream? Or apples or bananas for that matter?

But they had the opportunity to spend time with Krishna. For real.
    If I go to tend cows, will there be a beautiful young man with bluish skin?

(It's funny that you mention this, because earlier I was thinking how pictures of Govinda are my favorites.)

Sure, but it is a very general faith - namely the faith that if you apply yourself and seek to be as rational as possible, this will yield positive results.
    As opposed to, for example, the faith that acting in line with the Catholic doctrines will yield positive results, even though you currently do not find those doctrines very meaningful or don't know whether they are true.

I'm not disputing that.

If you doubt whether Jesus existed, or if you have not come into contact with the essence, then putting faith in either Jesus or that essence is a gamble.

Allright.

Thank you.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Aliens on the planet Vulcan lack a belief in your god, Jan. Does that meant they are atheists and claim to NOT believe in your god?

16. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

So you think you are omniscient or think we should take your words as unquestionable authority?

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Huh? :shrug:

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

You said:

Which says that you know there are aliens on the planet Vulcan (and that aliens and planet Vulcan exist), and that they lack belief in a particular god.
    (Way to go, Q, you have just asserted the existence of aliens on planet Vulcan!)

As it is safe to say that most of us have no way of finding out whether planet Vulcan, aliens etc. exist, or what their beliefs are, we simply have to take your word for it as you speak with such conviction!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

For the sake of Greenberg, I'm now forced to use the obligatory, "Imagine, for the sake of argument" in front of that statement.

For your sake, Greenberg, just for you. Happy? Sheesh.

20. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Sweet Creamy Goodness!!

21. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

First of all, they're not aliens. They are from Vulcan! And no they are not atheistic, they believe in the Great Arkelsneezure. And all of them believe.

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

Now that's what I call a sloppy post. You failed to address the question of appleness and bananess.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm glad you eventually figured that out yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.