Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cody Registered Member

Just from adding up the shots from a 100+ TT weapons should equal that in a short amount of time. And that's from a single gun, whereas an ISD-I has over 40-60 of these banks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You realize that you couldn't "add" up to that... you'd need to output that kind of energy... instantly. one shot.

Consider this - a 5 million isoton torpedo in Voyager can obliterate an entire solar system... we're talking multiple AU, not parsecs or KM like the max range of the DS Superlaser...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cody Registered Member

Actually, TOS and Enterprise are exactly 95-99 years apart. And Enterprise's phasers were phases-canon, which were a fraction of the output of a 2265 phaser.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Re-read the supposed timeframe in Enterprise (or have they changed it since the first season originally aired?) They are given hand phasers and eventually upgrade to shields and shipborne phasers midway thru season 3.

However, these things dont' EXIST yet!

8. Cody Registered Member

Isotons isn't much, as on the the prefix table:

iso 10 Exponent 0

"Do you see where "iso" falls in that table? It stands for 10^0, which is one! If we go by dialogue and modern units (the way Trekkies keep insisting), a 25 isoton weapon is equivalent to just 25 tons of TNT, or 0.1 TJ! You Trekkies insist on assuming that I'm being uncharitable to your side by disregarding SI unit dialogue in the canon episodes, but in fact, I am being enormously charitable to your side. If we insist on accepting Star Trek dialogue with modern units, we have no choice but to conclude that photon torpedoes are good for less than 1 TJ of energy, and that the biggest weapon in the entire Borg inventory is a 5 megaton bomb! Too bad, so sad; I guess it turns out that the Borg have less firepower than Pakistan."

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I know it's stupid, but it's not a literal measure of power as much it is a measure of amount of explosive material

*shrugs* Hey, don't ask me, I didn't write this stuff

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Cody Registered Member

They aren't Phasers, but a early variant of it. But Enterprise does crap on the Time line of TOS a lot. Enterprise was a good show, but when you compare it to the rest of ST, it sucks.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Exactly - take Enterprise largely out of the Equation...

Then again, there IS the Star Wars Christmas Spectacular... heh... we could add that in if you don't wish to disregard Enterprise.

13. Cody Registered Member

Voyager is in my personal Guiness records for being the show to brake science the most.

14. Cody Registered Member

I never saw the Christmas Special, so I wouldn't know, but it DID introduce Boba Fett.

15. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

I'm not aware of anything cited beyond the quote from Dune Messiah. I'm guessing the explosion into the core results in it expanding and erupting through the various plates and effectively splitting the planet apart slowly. Like the unstable genesis planet.

EDIT:
    Either way, it gives Dune a formidable weapon in combat. The only thing that restrained their use before was the great convention and plus it was thought that they were saved (house atomics that is) for use if humanity was ever attacked from the outside.

Now, for everyone out there. How do you think about gigaton blasts ripping through your ships? And remember that these are shaped charges which are considerably more powerful than conventional atomics since the payload of regular ones expand spherically depleting the energy output.

1 stone burner = 15 photon torps or 7 to 8 quantum torps
    and this is just a modest estimation.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Remember - real life physics don't always apply here... this is Star Trek and Star Wars, Science Fiction and Science Fantasy respectively.

The ultimate question is this:

We have shown a GCS to be roughly on par with an ISD... the big difference in Trek and Wars is logistical speed... Warp vs Hyperdrive... factor in Travelers, and now Quantum Slipstream... now that oddity is balanced.

17. Cody Registered Member

As 118MT is a Quantum torpedo, 300MT seems a good number to get rid of the E-D ships. Probably a little higher, about 350.

If Wong is biased, you should see DarkStar and JMSpock. JM contradicts himself a lot, saying "Anything that moves in space and is operated" is a starship, yet saying the Death Star is not a Starship.

I have yet to see these 'low tech' scenes yet.

I would erase Wong's bookmark if you delete DarkStar, because he argues with both staff of Paramount and Lucas Films about various things...

18. Cody Registered Member

GCS?

Hyperdrive IS faster, no matter how you put it. Warp 9.99997 equals 200,000 times c, yet a slow Hyperdrive is a million times c, or more.

19. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Err... The Romulans and Federation have allied before. and why do you think Q hates the federation? and certainly based on the Trial of Humanity stuff, the federations looking a lot better than the empire.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

A lot of what he argues about makes sense... when Dialogue doesn't match Visuals, what do you go with?

Run the numbers that DarkStar has and see if you get the same results. When I did it, I came in slightly under what his were all around, but he was assming best case scenarios and not taking into account the 5% inefficiency I slapped around.

21. Cody Registered Member

The Feds and Romulans allied in the Dominion war because the Feds tricked them into it.

The Federation is communist, plus Q hates nice things like republics.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

GCS = Galaxy Class Starship

Warp 9.99 is roughly 7,912c

Warp 9 is, however, 1,516 c

Warp 9.9999 is 199,516 c

Warp 10 is infinite speed... and the Ent-D took that with ease when the Traveller interfaced with the ship.

According to Voyager, though, Quantum Slipstream is equal to around warp 81,250. No, that is NOT a typo... WARP 81 THOUSAND.

Figure out what that would be please... I don't care to do the math

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Cody Registered Member

He doesn't take the EU into account, he is so stubborn he doesn't listen to rebuttals, and a bunch of other things.

You should check this page: http://www.stardestroyer.net/mrwong/wiki/index.php/Darkstar
    Look, even if you hate SDN.

Besides, why are we arguing about ST VS SW when the vast majority of the internet, including Spacebattles, has accepted Wars will win?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.