Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saquist Banned Banned

That's probably a good idea. That way my page won't be filled up unnecesarily. You know I've never actually used that feature before.

Yes but we didn't see the whole core we only saw part of it. If we saw the whole core in one scene and it just turned off...I'd believe it. But thats not what we see. We see a zoomed in picture of only part of it and the constictor coils illuminate in sequence from top to bottom after the shield is knocked out. Kinda far from conclussive.

Also consider if the Core just stopped then free floating matter and antimatter would have reacted with the reacter itself and destroyed the ship. The core couldn't have been off-line in such a way without desasterous effects.

I read the script...and watched the movie just now .

First shot: strike unknown. (no external view)
    Second shot: (the one we see) strikes the Starboard Dorsal Section of the Saucer.
    Third Shot: Strikes the Port section of the Secondary hull just ahead of the Port Pylon
    Fourth Shot: Striks Port side on the Saucer section close to the bow and almost out of view
    Fifth Shot: Strikes the Saucer Section Starboard close to the bow and almost out of view.
    Sixth Shot: Strikes firmly on theSaucer shuttlebay doors
    Seventh shot: seems to be heading to the same place as the Sixth or even the bridge but the camera pans out of view to Shinzon

Fire continues. Out of view.

Shinzon says: Target weapon systems and shields. I don't want the Enterprise destroyed.

Enterprise takes several direct hits but remains at warp.

The Next hits:

One strikes Hull with explosive results on the Secondary Hull Port at the first 1/4 of the Port Pylon

The next and Last shot while at warp strikes firmly on the Port nacelle....

INSTANTLY the screen cuts to the warp core. (The red section of the core) (bottom) Sparks fly. The shield is still up as it cuts to the blue section of the warp core (top side).

A blue pulse of the magnectic constictor coils flows into the core.

(Crewman bounce around. Sparks at a control station.

Back to the top blue section of the Warp Core. (the shield is aparently now down) another pulse travels down into the core. More Sparks fly.

The camera pans down to the Red Section of the Core. (more sparks fly) Red pulses travel up into the reactor. The camera still shows a red pulses as the scene cuts to an external view of the Enterprise as it drops from warp.

after a report and some Shinzon posturing Geordi reports.

He disabled our Warp Drive with his first shot we only have impulse.

We never see the warp core again.

I can definitely say that the Warp Core was still active the last time it was on screen. We don't even see it inactive for a single nano second. The last image of of the lower section...the Antimatter stream heading up into the reactor was still illuminated. Infact it actually seemed like a surge.

So I can not agree with you Kittamaru on the scramming of the Warp Core.

HOWEVER. I might have cause to agree with you on the regenerative shields.
    Enterprise lost it's dorsal shields before it dropped out of warp...suddenly after two strikes on the hull the Enterprise is at impulse and Scimitar resumes firing on the Dorsal section. This time the shield is up. But it drops again soon after. Enterprise rolls to port.

Then Riker says something intresting..."Get the shields back on line. Geordi."

Does he get the shields "back on line."

There is a curious effect actually.
    Several times during the Battle the Enterprise gets struck on it's ventral side never revealing it's dorsal side but the stirkes on the ventral side spread to ripple to the dorsal side. This happens first on the Saucer Port Side aft. Then twice on the bottom of the stardrive rippling around to the top of the stardrive where we can see.

After the two Warbirds are removed from the picture The Scimitar renews it's strike on the Enterprise again on the Dorsal side.

It apears the Geordi did suceed in getting the Dorsal shields back on line!!!

The Dorsal shield is clearly on line and takes five straight strikes before failing again for the third time. Amazing! Three strikes to bear hull.

It would seem that the Sovereign does indeed have regenerative shielding. It regenerated the dorsal shield twice

The forward shields didn't regenerate; that may be due to the fact that Picard ordered previously to compensate for the shield loss on the ventral shield.

Additional Note:
    We have final confirmation that the core was not deactivated.
    Right before Data gives his report that "phaser banks are down to four percent,sir".

We hear in the background. "We're functioning on reserve power only." from a crewman off screen.

According to Power systems

Main Power: Is the Warp Core
    Reserve power: are the Impulse Fusion reactors and backup reactors
    Emergency Power: are the batteries according to Star Trek II.

So only now did the Enterprise lose Main Power.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

I'm amazed Kittamaru. You were right about the regenerative shields but wrong about the Warp Core condition. I'm a bit disappointed though, you should have found this information yourself, it was there the whole time.

Facts support an argument. Always stand behind the facts and be willing to find data that supports your argument and always accept data that disproves your argument. Otherwise we get locked in a never ending argument like TWSCOTT seems to capture some in.

Oh by the way good advice. I did indeed put TW "NUTS" on the ignore list and it just closed up all his post. It was rather nice. Since there's obviously nothing more to talk about why not just ignore him?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I would swear that the core went offline... I'll have to re-watch the scene... 'corrding to memory, the core stopped pulsing. My reaction was "oh crap"... that big "bulge" thing is the matter/antimatter intermix chamber. if that stops a glowing, the power stops a flowing. Least, that's how it's been in TOS and TNG.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The camera has panned down from the top of the core to this point. Immediately after as the this pulse enters the scene cuts to Enterprise dropping out of warp

Unlike before the Scimitar's strike the Core's pulse is staggared instead of larger pulses. It seems like a surge. And think about this. Why would they target the Warp core in such a matter if he doesn't want the ship destroyed?

8. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm... Haven't seen it recently. I reckon I should.

I think it means humanity as a whole, surviving. But I know he wouldn't let certain captains he knew die from a universal incursion.

9. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yes I think your right.

10. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Though then again I do think the "blue" pulse at the top stopped.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

if I remember right, the "blue" pulses are the matter/antimatter streams entering the core, the "red" pulses are the core reactions themselves... but I can't confirm that...

12. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Wait, I thought one pulse was matter, and the other was anti-matter.

13. Saquist Banned Banned

The blue pulses are the matter stream and the red pulses are the antimatter stream.
    Antimatter is kept in pods at the bottom of the ship Matter in the form of heavy Hydrogen is kept in a large tank at the top of the Star Drive's spine.

The actual reactor is between the two.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You mean Deuterium, eg, Anti-Hydrogen 2 Isotope

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And... I guess you're right about that... *shrugs*

16. Saquist Banned Banned

The warp core is actually called a super colider.

17. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The Q have already demonstrated abilities far beyond any being in the entire SW universe (proper). His reluctance to attack Guinan is not necessarily from fear of Guinan herself. More to the point is that Guinan's hidden abilities are unknown, hence not a valid comparison to any abilities of any Wars character. In other words even if Q were afraid of her, it is wholly irrelevant to use it in a Trek V Wars discussion.

Further, John DeLancie's Q, and Keegan DeLancie's Q2 have interfered in (indeed provoked) Trek altercations. Plus, John DeLancie's Q and Quinn (STVOY: Death Wish) have already stated on screen that it is the Continuum's responsibility to maintain cosmic order.

Please...we have rested the issue of Q already. Get some new music sheets why don't you?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

He can't Big-D... it's SCOTT yer talkin to, remember that.

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Yes, you should. It is a good episode.

Well not letting them die, and violating their own rules of non interference are two seperate thing. Besides who is to say that it isn't exactly how Picard and Janeway are supposed to die.

Q is a non-issue. The rules of his existance preclude him form interfering in mortal affiars. To him it would be just entertainment. No matter which side succeeds Humanity lives on. Except that one side has already been developing godlike beings for millenia.

20. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I assume you mean the Trek side... as most of the super-beings on the Wars side either have unknown connical origins, or are obviously not human. I would not consider a Jedi or Sith "godlike" in any stretch of the word... and they're one of the more powerful beings.

At least according to the movies...

Then again, we all know you love EU to death because of it's gross inability to show even the slightest smidgen of consistancy with the movies firepower...

22. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I wasn't on the 400th page.. GOOD WORK GUYs... really.. I used to have enthusiasm for this.. but i went out around the 8th page (380) ....just give it up already.... ST FTW..

23. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

is...that... canon?

WOW. Did NOT know Wookie women wore aprons and cooked in ovens and Wookie children played with toy starships.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.