Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I don't know, some other techonobable mechanism

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

When you are referring to ships, are you refering to warships or normal ships.

Well, they have shields. The only visible shield is seen at Phamtom Menace. TW Scott is so wrong, the shields don't flash at all, it is almost invisable. Here is some qoutes:
    " Captain, look!"
    "Shields up!"
    -Two anoymous officers.

" Shields up."
    -Anakin Skywalker

I can't recall all the qoutes, but there is a few.

I agree, but Skywalker can see the future, so he can respond faster.

I did, the ship that fired is another ship of it's class, I think. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, they have missiles and proton tropedoes. There is 60 Turbolaser and 60 Ion Cannon on each ISD-I. They can all fire, so if the Star Trek ship is circling the ISD, bad idea.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Thats what I am trying to tell him.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Star Forge can make a huge fleet in a few days ( less then a half a week ), so it will take a long time for Starfleet to get to Star Forge, by the time they went there, Star Forge will have built massive armdas( I mean massive, by a couple hundred thousand ), the only problem is the crew, but Star Forge make droids too, they can be the crew. There is the World Devastors that do pretty much the samething on a smaller scale.

8. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

9. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

AT-ST have light blaster cannon and one of the worst walkers.

10. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

what would you rate as having a heavy blaster cannon?

11. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

*Groan*

Your lack of tactical knowledge is horrible.

First of all, Imperial range is horrible, as we saw a TIE fighter well out of range of the Falcon. Granted, the Falcon is a transport ship...but sadly, it's often more accurate than ISD weapons.

The UFP, if pressed, can fight at far longer ranges, up to hundreds of kilometers. And finally, do you have evidence that ISDs carry torpedoes, and that they can obtain this range?

How do they fire Sesmic Charges? Thus far, they are mine-like weapons, as we saw in Attack of the Clones. They'd just float hundreds of meters away from their targets.

That's redundant.

And what are these?

Oookay, you mean the 1.5-3.0 megaton weaponry?

Yes, because if the most powerful armament on an ISD couldn't take them out, surely the Ion Cannons could do something, right?:bugeye:

That's EU.

Another post from canon wars, held up by the excellent G2K:

http://www.canonwars.com/weblog/2008/04/once-again-yet-another-new-lucas-quote.h
    tml

All of this just for the Defiant? Tell me, how is this supposed to work when the Defiant's mobility is so great that most people who haven't seen much of DS9 think it's a slow fighter?

No, no it wouldn't. Your entire idea goes under a number of strange delusions that just aren't true.

1) That the Empire has greater ranges that UFP ships.

2) That the UFP ships are just going to sit there and take it.

3) That any of these weapons will do more than scratch the paint job.

12. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

10's of thousands... up to 200k Km iirc

13. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

14. Saquist Banned Banned

well I was trying to relate with your post...(i believe)

Exactly they do have shields but as we've seen there is a hit miss quality to the shields. Some get through...others do not.

There is no doubt, but to compare him to the other pilots to the point of irrationalism is ludacris of Scott...but actually quite typical for him to reach for the most idiotic thinking rather than be wrong.

I

BUt can we trust that if it's not a canon source. Scott is unwilling to take starswars.com at it's word what does that hold for the contradictions across canon that are both canon and uncanon?

15. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

The books are not canon.

16. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I was talking about Starfighters are not starships.

I agree, if the shield got hit too much it will automaticly turn off the area's shields.

I know.

Deal with TW Scott about that, I never said that. TW Scott lies too much. I am willing to take Starwars.com's word and Star Wars wiki's word too.

17. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They are not G-Canon, but C-Canon.

18. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Then why do they only seem to use the TIE/i's if their so bad compared to other models they should have been retired... or never entered service

no, no, It's a ship, but if you havn't watched ds9 then your only expericne with it was first contact, so many people (apparently) mistake it for a slow fighter because it's rather maneuverable.

It's probably around 100 meters... though as always scaleing is a problem
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/defiant-problems.htm

19. Saquist Banned Banned

Gotcha.

I think it's important to deal with these SOURCES of information individually and not simply on there clout as canon.

With the movies, they are what they are. But even the movies have contradicted themselves in some degree. So, just from my point of view its important to remain realistic. If something looks fishy in canon then don't use it. Lean toward the reasonable idea.

Star wars fans do this more than they like to admit.
    Such as the argument..."there called lasers but clearly they aren't" That's not a canon statement. The realistic view is adopted over the canon which does indeed term the weapons lasers.

That same practice can be used in other arguments.

20. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

TIE/i apprently is the cheapest, so they still use it. Concussion Missiles can manuver too, and they will fire more then one. They imight just use flank guns and proton tropedoes.

21. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

????????

Well, the laser argument is not ture because lasers use a beam, not a bolt. Plus Blaster bolts and laser have other diffrences, Blaster blast stuff, laser melt. Here is another reason, Blaster Bolts and so-called star wars "laser" bolts are the exact same. Alot of things I use are not fishy at all.

22. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I was talking about the Falcon's range.

That isn't proof. First of all, you provide no quote, and second of all, you full well know that isn't canon.

Except they never do, despite how effective this weapon would be in battle. We never see it.

Loophole?

By claiming this, you are specifcally stating that you are going agains the intent of the law, or rule in order to obtain what you want. Since this was made by George Lucas, you are specifically attempting to get around his rules by using his words against him in order to get your weapon yields.

You're basicly performing high treason as a Star Wars fan, and placing your own agenda above the truth, and the world the George created. I'm afraid you've gone too far here. I may not care for the prequals and some of George's work, but it's his world, and as a fellow writer, I'm not going to let you fuck around with that world.

This is the quote.

Novel and game makers, this is specifcally targeting books and games made. I don't need to explain this, and if I do, leave. I will not waste my time teaching you basic english.

This is a basic sentence, and taken within context in what we see in this interview, he is talking about the novels, and the games.

Here he explains it.

And yet again, a comparison to the Star Trek franchise, which does the same thing.

Thus far, all we've seen is that the TV shows and the movies are canon. Nothing else is.

Really? I can put up a link to G2k's calculations, and if you wish, you can disprove it step by step, or provide some higher calculations.

Hell, even with the idea that a 40 meter asteroid as vaporized in ESB is only 280 kilotons, much less than a megaton.

Evidence? And dude, a Galaxy class starship generates well over what out planet does in a year every second while sitting in atmosphere of a small planet.

See above.

It IS a ship you dolt. I said people mistake it for one.

Prove it.

Then your plan falls apart from the beginning. And to make it worse, you think sending in support ships will help them when even UFP runabouts carry higher payloads.

It isn't a fighter. It is a destroyer.

23. Saquist Banned Banned

meaning my comment was actually a response to TWScott through a topic thru you... His expectations of ship to fighter relations creates a massive gap so that fighters are actually quite useless against Star Destroyers. and yet we see that they are not.

Which one is true? realism or the canon statement?
    canon says laser
    realism says not a laser.

which one is correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.