Muslim Experience in America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DiamondHearts, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Look at the history of new waves of immigrants coming to the US irish, italian etc they always had a rough time in the beginning until people become accustomed to them.
    There are no laws that discriminate against muslims in the US unlike laws in many muslim countries(Malaysia, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi, Sudan etc.) that discriminate against non-muslims.
    If they want to be US Americans and follow it's laws etc then they will be fine after awhile.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Definition of Criminal : Person who breaks the law. Simple and to the point. Sorry, but any violation of the law makes the person a criminal.

As for just and speedy trial, this means as quickly as the system can get to you. With overworked courts that can mean months. Take heart though that this is better than the years they used to keep you before we formed this great nation.

It's not an abuse of power to house criminals until their trial. Especially if they are a flight risk.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It is an abuse to deny bail without evidence of flight risk, and to detain without charge or due process. I believe it violates a provision of the Constitution, IIRC - "excessive bails" are not to be imposed.

The US panicked, and flailed around blindly, after 9/11. Kind of embarrassing, to have one's lack of courage or faith in one's principles exposed on the world stage like that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not torture if the country legalises it.

Source: Waterboarding - The American Way©

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Actually this is false. Hate crimes have risen further and faster against Jewish people, both in the US and Europe, than against muslims; they've largely flat-lined against the latter.

Please don't represent the experience of one Arab girl (are all Arabs muslim now? This thread is "Muslim experience in America", after all. And just the other day someone was scolding me that that wasn't so, as if I'd ever made the comparison.) in prison as that of all muslims in America.

Thanks.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not that I am defending these hate crimes, but why did those Muslims go to the US if they don't feel safe there ?

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Aa Fia Siddiqui.

11. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

You should ask your Muslim patients, you will learn that alot of discrimination and injustice is meted out against innocent Muslims.

The sad thing is that the vast majority of Americans are either oblivious to this or more commonly apathetic.

From your last sentence, you obviously have never been to any Muslim countries have you. You act as if all Muslim countries are like Saudi Arabia or US-supported Arab regimes, that's not the case at all. Politically Muslims are more free in countries like Pakistan, Malaysia, Turkey, Iran, Indonesia, Nigeria, etc. than any Western countries.

Muslims come to the US because Western sanctions against their native countries and Western internal involvement in their countries have made it impossible to earn a liveable wage.

There is very little political freedom for Muslim groups in the US, when peaceful organizations like CAIR are labeled as terrorists, then what other example needs to be given?

If a Muslim simply acts or looks different, any American can complain to the FBI, that person may not see his family and friends again for years, even if he isn't charged. This is not justice, this is repression.

12. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Yes, I realize this, minorities get treated the worse, but I have heard instances of abuse of white Americans also. I agree 100% that the vast majority of FBI and police are apathetic to American citizens.

DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT AGAINST MUSLIMS IN AMERICA

* Sixty percent [60%] report anti-Muslim incidents in their communities since 9-11. Only 21 percent recall earlier incidents.
    * About half [50%] personally know someone who has been victimized since 9-11.
    * One in four [25%] respondents have themselves been victims since 9-11.

James Yee's story
    http://www.soundvision.com/info/peace/demonization.asp

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-05-16-yee-cover_x.htm

13. John99 Banned Banned

The police, for the most part - 95%, are fine. It is the media (U.S) that is horrible and causes trouble but then they are really whores so it is to be expected.

Look at this video and listen to the end of it, it is ver telling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLK1Xpc7SMQ

14. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

hey, didnt i brought it at the beginning of the thread?

i just love the part where they say its islam destiny to rule over other religions.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

If the United States is a bad as you think it is for Muslims then why are so many immigrating to the United States? And when surveyed, why are so many responses favorable?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003252072_911muslims10.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States

American Muslims' views of the United States
    American Muslims' view of American society
    Statement U.S.
    Muslim General
    public
    Agree that one can get
    ahead with hard work 71% 64%
    Rate their community as
    "excellent" or "good" 72% 82%
    Excellent or good
    personal financial situation 42% 49%
    Satisfied with the
    state of the U.S. 38% 32%
    Agree that Muslims coming
    to the U.S. should adopt
    American customs 43% n/a
    In a 2007 survey titled Muslim Americans: Middle Class and Mostly Mainstream, the Pew Research Center found Muslim Americans to be

"largely assimilated, happy with their lives, and moderate with respect to many of the issues that have divided Muslims and Westerners around the world.[77]

47% of respondents said they considered themselves Muslims first and Americans second. However, this was compared to 81% of British Muslims and 69% of German Muslims, when asked the equivalent question. A similar disparity exists in income, the percentage of American Muslims living in poverty is 2% higher than the general population, compared to an 18% disparity for French Muslims and 29% difference for Spanish Muslims.[77]

Politically, American Muslims were both pro-larger government and socially conservative. For example, 70% of respondents preferred a bigger government providing more services, while 61% stated that homosexuality should be discouraged by society. Despite their social conservatism, 71% of American Muslims expressed a preference for the Democratic Party.[77]

The same poll also reported that only 40 percent of U.S. Muslims believe that Arabs carried out the 9/11 attacks. Another 28 percent don't believe it and 32 percent said they had no view. Among 28 percent who doubted that Arabs were behind the conspiracy, one-fourth of those claim the U.S. government or President George W. Bush was responsible. Only 26 percent of American Muslims believe the U.S.-led war on terror is a sincere effort to root out international terrorism. Only 5% of those surveyed had a "very favorable" or "somewhat favorable" view of the terrorist group Al-Qaeda. Only 35% of American Muslims stated that the decision for military action in Afghanistan was the right one and just 12% supported the use of military force in Iraq.[77]

16. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not the Halaka law?

18. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

islam is superior to judaisim. its like ZAK once tolled me, muslims are not like the jews that killed christ, they beileve in all prophets.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, The Chosen People

20. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Sam, is your religion somehow noted in your passport? Weird enough my wife gets controlled all the time at the airport, whereas I pass rather unharassed (and I do look more foreign whereas she is as white as white can be).

21. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

yes, it is common knowledge that muslims hate jews. NAZIS hated jews for the same reason.

22. mike47 Banned Banned

Security of any nation is a top priority and it should always be . However there is a difference between doing security and intelligence work and discriminating against a minority for political propaganda . We are all humans and human rights ought not to be written off the books for a political agenda that goes far beyond security and safety of the nation as a whole .

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have Mohammed in my name.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!