Translation & Muslims

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by flameofanor5, Dec 13, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And I'm talking about reading something before translating or interpreting. Or do you just skip the part where you read a book before attempting to interpret it?

The reason I keep asking you about Sura 9 is because it is most often quoted by people who are asking questions like you. I want to know if any of those asking questions have even read the complete sura or understood what it means. For a long time there was a poster here who kept referring to its title as The Sword. When in fact Sura 9 is titled repentance (At-Tawbah).

I find it incredible that those asking questions feel they are equipped to do so without even bothering to read the whole Quran.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Are you daft? People here HAVE read the Quran in it's entirety. That is the exactly the point, sam. But, it's propagandists like you who won't accept any translation other than propagandized translations.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You've read the whole Quran?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

See, you haven't been reading my posts in the past. Proof positive.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is that a yes or a no?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Kadark Banned Banned

I don't see where you're going with this. To my knowledge, Sam (and lots of other Muslims) can read the Qur'an's original Arabic structure, meaning there is no need for translations.

And if you cannot read Arabic, (Q), how do you know that the translated versions are "propagandized"?

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Except, for those who can't read Arabic.

They are propagandized on the premise that Muslim apologists are continuously moving the goalposts when it comes to interpreting the violence and oppression that is apparent in Muslim states, and claiming that it isn't initiated by the Quran.

11. Kadark Banned Banned

You targetted Sam by saying "propagandists like you", when she can actually read Arabic. Being able to speak Arabic, she wouldn't have to rely on translations. I'm well aware that not everyone can read Arabic.

Whole other topic. We're discussing the actual verses in the Qur'an, and what it means to dissect the lines without having a collaborative understanding and knowledge of the book as a whole.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Here's the OP, so it would appear to be on topic:

"Why is it that every time someone's like "Yo, Muslim dude, could you explain to me why this verse tells Muslims to kill all the Jews?" the Muslim's like "uh, yeah, which translation is that? Because the translator might be confusing the word 'kill' for something else."

13. Kadark Banned Banned

Considering that there is no verse in the Qur'an that remotely resembles the demand for a genocide of all Jews, I'd say the opening topic is obsolete.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Jews are considered non-believers, hence infidels. What exactly does the Quran say about infidels?

15. Kadark Banned Banned

Wrong. Jews are considered People of the Book.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Off topic: Elohim was the name of god for the northern tribes (if I recall correctly) which formed the Kingdom of Israel. Yahweh was the name used by the southern tribes (Judah and Benjamin) which formed the country of Judah.

Judah is the sole surviving tribe, yes? The only one to return from Babylon? The 10 tribes of Israel were lost in the Assyrian conquest even before Babylon.

I personally found it funny that Israel was accused of being the cause of God punishing the hebrews with the Assyrians. Because they were worshiping idols and doing stuff in the 'high places' and whatnot.

Anyway, the bible is an amalgam of different belief systems. This is why you often see the same story told several times differently.

Ezrah though... Wasn't that post Babylon? What was the name El being thrown around then for? Maybe nostalgia? Interesting.

On topic: Translation is harsh. Even in books which aren't so personal and apt to set large groups of people against each other. So, it's no surprise that there are translation difficulties in the Qu'ran. The Bible either, for that matter.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats interesting, I did not know Judah and Israel were separate.

What were the differences between the two? Which one of them adopted the God of the Canaanites?

What is the significance of Babylon?

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, the Quran DOESN'T criticize Jews for their refusal to recognize Muhammad as a prophet of God? I think it speaks rather harshly of this in the Quran, but the problem once again is in whose version of interpretation one follows and what actions have been taken or will take place that stand as evidence to the contrary.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Neither. They each worshiped the same god, the Hebrew god, the God of Abraham. Just called him by different names. The extent of the differences between the tribes is unknown as only one tribe survives and it blames the other tribes for all the problems.

By the way, you knew that the Book of the Law was 'found' in the temple by a priest in the reign of Josiah, a very young king? The Book of the Law, by the way, is the Torah. And, apparently, prior to this the hebrews had been living rather sinfully. Seems awfully convenient to me.

"Hey, look what I found!"

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 king 22&version=31

My theory based on my reading of the bible is that much of the old testament was actually nationalistic propaganda meant to pull the surviving jews together and give them something to grasp onto. Much of the bible (chronicles and kings especially) seems written in the past tense and then suddenly changes to the present tense after the return from exile.

Ezra was a nationalist. As were most of the prophets that followed. They told the history of the jewish people in such a way as to imbue them with a sense of pride which had failed them during their time as slaves.

Judaism and Christianity are based on slave mentality. An overturning of the established order making the weak strong. The masters into servants. Etcetera.

This is why the story of the Exodus from Egypt plays such a crucial role. It's an allegory for Babylon. And, in fact, may never have happened historically.

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oh. But, I suppose you meant what is the significance in regards to El? Well, the Kingdom of Israel called god El so the name should have fallen into disuse by this time. The 10 tribes that composed Israel were scattered long before Babylon.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I was under the impression that when the Israelis moved to Canaan they adopted the God of Canaan as their own.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oh. And on the topic of translation.
    Here's an example from the bible.

Name one the 10 commandments.

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Well. It's possible. At the least, the mythos were likely mixed. Just as Allah of Islam is most likely mixed up with preexisting myths of the tribes in Arabia (or whatever the hell it was called back then.)

Note the fact of the late 'discovery' of the book of the Law.

Anyway. The true origins of the myths can't really be known because of the available evidence. We know about the northern tribes mostly from what is said of them by the surviving tribe of Judah who blamed them for the wrath of god.

Medicine Woman has an interesting notion that the Hebrews fleeing Egypt murdered Moses because he didn't want to stop the wandering.

Who knows? What we do know is that the stories passed down in myth don't really match archeological evidence except sparingly.