Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Ohhhhh! Now I see!

Well yeah, that was the whole plan, wasn't it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

We should start a new thread.

Battle Star vs. Babylon 5. Now that could be interesting... My money is on the White Stars, though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Never watched either, or read anything about either... So I wouldn't be able to be in that one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Sorry.

In case you haven't noticed... I'm a huge Scifi nerd... I'm the moderator of a scifi board for cryin' out loud!

8. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Nope, couldn't tell

9. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Rigghhtt...I see everyone is bored of the topic, and instead of arguing, they are all babbling. Heck, this thread is toast. (And it was the only reason I joined sciforums in the first place...)

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Good idea. I will do just that!

Oh, and I hope you stick around, Kron...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  11. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Well, it's hard to debate out the war if the ST and SW guys aren't willing....Soo...

12. Roman Banned Banned

But the Feds are such pussies! Picard vs. anyone in a fist fight, and Picard would inevitably get his ass kicked.

As for the "going backwards" bit, Dune is only backwards if humanity in your world view has somewhere to go, and only backwards if you believe that people can better rule themselves than a good ruler can rule them.

A feudal society fit the swords and sticks theme better. The Dune universe was far more isolationist than either the Trek or Wars universe, and isolationism typically leads to feudal societies.

The Dune Universe wasn't entirely feudal, either. There was the Guild, the Witches, the Ixian Theocracy and the Tleilaxu Masters.

Perhaps Herbert was making a statement about human nature and our need for strong men?

13. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Maybe not so much as strong men, but along the lines of strong men and women? One without the other can not survive.

Also I agree that Dune was very isolated once Leto II came into power but before that space travel was very popular. I think an underlying theme of Herberts books was that, without change in a controlling power (Government, military, etc) the shorter the life space of that power. Granted it could last centuries before it's demise, in the grand scheme of things that is nothing.

14. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Really? Picard beat a few opponents hand-to-hand in ST:TNG - a Klingon or two, and at least one Romulan (who are supposed to be intrinsically stronger than humans). Not bad, since he was clearly well past his prime.

Not to mention that, in his youth, he was the only freshman who ever won the Starfleet Academy marathon, and had the guts to pick a fight with some Nausicaans twice his size.

15. Roman Banned Banned

Ooh, impressive. Picard defeated opponents with face putty on. Shit son, watch out!

16. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

*Thinks Roman needs a beer*

Calm down man, it's ok. Who knows, Picard might have actually been able to beat up the few wussies of the different races.

Picard against anyone from Dune... Fahgedaaboutit

17. WilliamShanterROCKS Registered Member

Well personally I was a Star Wars Fan that went Star Trek... But then realized I can't survive with only one. But in a battle I must say probably Star Trek would win.... Looking at the all the things I've seen on Star Trek they could kill the Jedi, or the Death Star. I look at it this way in Star Trek they were capable of resetitng sheild harmonics and stuff like that to make their shields adapt to what they were using... in star wars that don't happen. Also there is the borg... I'm sorry but the Borg are ass kicking.. JEDI BORG! I never saw the end of Voyager and I heard the Borg no longer exist which make me upset. But however in a battle Star Trek would win... In popularity Star Wars would win. There is more action in Star Wars then Star Trek, more romance, more everything... Except Photon Torpedoes and Spock. However William Shatner and Patrick Stewart have the best voices and faces for ship Captians.. and Darth Vader is just COOL! That is all I have to say... But I'll tell you one reason I stared watching Star Trek because lets see who fucked with the original trilogy and made it gayer... hmm George Lucus.... Personally he should not have screwed with his movies cause that made me really really mad! But none the less don't choose a side people both franchises are equally butt kicking!!!!!!!!!!

18. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

I can agree to both being really cool in their own ways... However Dune trumps them all.

19. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

I'm with ya OpteronGuy. Let's see Picard verses Duncan Idaho! (Or paul, or any Bene Gesserit, or any Honoured Matre, or the Tyrant, or Miles Teg, or any Fish Speaker, or any ........)

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Yes, in that final Voyager episode it did appear that the entire Borg collective was falling apart... I didn't want to believe that. The novels which follow the lives of the crew after their return to Earth do reintroduce the Borg in an innovative way, however.

I assume that, considering how huge and widespread the Collective was, certain parts of it will have been able to adapt to Janeway's neurolytic pathogen (as to any other threat) before they could all be consumed. The Queen may have died, but she was really the anthropomorphisation of an inherent command function - a new queen would be generated before too long.

What do you mean by gayer? Just adding new special effect shots and restoring deleted scenes, in the 1997 special editions, didn't exactly detract from the movies.

21. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Yep. The new Star Wars movies are homosexual in some ways. (Hint: His name is Jar Jar)

22. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Just imagine Picard and/or Kirk against Paul during his fight with Feyd. LOL how comical would that be.

Or when Miles goes ape on the guys on Gammu. Ahhh, all the funny scenes I can think of.

23. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Jedi vs. Bene Jesserits? I'm inclined in favour of the former.

Damn right about Jar-Jar - good thing he wasn't in the Special Editions I was talking about earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.