the Segway (ginger) = IT

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by pcd2k, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcd2k Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Riiighhht...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And you know what? If I knew what that meant I might even agree with you

I don't think it will "do to the automobile what the automobile did to the horse drawn carriage" but it is a neat little thing. The main downside I can see now is the winter and inclement weather. In -30C temperatures I for one would rather be sitting in a car

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

It will revolutionize the lives of fat aging men who are too damned lazy/unfit from years of sitting around the office to bother using their legs anymore.

In other words, it's bringing the carefree lifestyle of the disabled to those who might as well be. Why do anything when something else can do it for you?

As for me, I plan to be dead by the time I'm 45.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I can think of only one thing more useless than IT:

An electric nosehair clipper

That thing is a piece of sh*t!! Why pay $3000 to walk when you can do it on your own for free? I think it'd be cool if it ran on water or something but all it is is a scooter that won't fall over! Dean Caiman's gonna go bankrupt once that thing goes out onto the market. And that's too bad because someday he might actually invent something that's actually useful!

What a disapointment!

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Tennis shoes seems to be a more reasonable price in comparision. Here's someone trying to get rich off the idea that walking is effort. Duh....

9. pcd2k Registered Senior Member

heh, What about segway cars ?

sandshoes don't make it

"the body and walking with thought all conveniently immobilised by a cable car of desire to go forward without waste."

"the mechanism and the meaning of The Segway displaces your thought of direction and drives the vehicle by virtue of a complex cybernetic system of destability (the moment between one step and the next) and stability (peace of mind) "

"heh what about segway cars

wherein evrybody is driving ? "

pcd2k01/12/5sand shoes don't make it 32point

10. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

A friend astutely pointed out that people riding the Segway look very much like the villains in the movie "Dark City" in they way that they float about in total absence of limb movement.

Consequently, if I ever see someone wearing a bowler hat and a trenchcoat while riding a Segway, I might turn and run in terror.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The only use I can see for it is cheating during marathons.

Of course you would have to be in disguise.

Perhaps a Bowler hat and a trench coat Mwhahahaah!
    (Run Porfiry run!)

Seriously, it would be different if walking was a burden, but I don't think it is, if anything it's usually breathing thats the burden while walking past heavy traffic.

As for the suggestions of Mail delivery, have you ever had a big mailbag slung over one shoulder??? It would be better to have a little cart.

It's not really a tool for the aged, as most of the time they would prefer sitting.

Alright, so you could possibly end up with a whole new olympic sport developed to the racing of them. (Yes get those wheel arches out, with hydrolic suspension and go faster stripes, But where do you hang the furry dice?)

I Know I wouldn't be able to run from a policeman on one if I did something wrong... laughing and running is too difficult.

12. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Maybe it should come with a pedal-powered generator to recharge the batteries as you go.

13. Acerbus Wanderer of the Wastes Registered Senior Member

I want one

14. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Yes, but would the Baron Harkonnen give up his antigrav belt for a wheeled walker?

15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Nah, I'd take the belt over the worthless hunk of metal any day o thu week.

But I'm not the Baron Harkonnen, that's my opinion.

16. Monolith Registered Member

Maybe its a replacement for crutches? Broken leg, cruise the Segway? Hmmm, then again Dean came out with a wheel chair that is based on the same technology:

http://www.dekaresearch.com/ibot.html

17. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

After all te hype...

And here it is the most worthless piece of crap (next to Franklin's Fan Chair, of course) ever invented. Legs are superior!

18. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

The madness of it all ...

Coming at a time when the government has finally realized that obesity is a
    problem ... and when walking is often recommended for a healthier lifestyle ...

Oh well, that's our species ... love it or leave it.

PS Isn't it wonderful that one of the things discovered in a rather expensive
    space program is how important the exercise we take for granted, moving about
    in 1g., is to the body.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2001
  19. pcd2k Registered Senior Member

segway

I just can't seem to understand how or why everybody is so cynical and pessimistic about such an amazing invention ?

I bet no one can tell me about another 2 wheeled mode of transport that stands up on its own ?

Then I wonder how many of you have the science knowledge required to understand how ones body weight and direction influences the motion/direction of the Segway ?

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

a repost frm another thread about segway

This all reminds smth of a non-pleasant sci-fi movie, where future is depicted like--- humans are degenerated, machines do all for them, they cannot even walk, legs have atrofated(become unusable)[segaway

]
    They don't reproduce and in the end it is just containers filled with aged human bodies, who shout for their death, but life support system doesn't allow them to die. And later.....
    Machines get rusty and all stops, a dead planet, a freak show for aliens.

Maybe I was too pessimistic about our future

, but segway- I better go to gym and pump my muscles, so tht I can walk, not eat hamburgers[americans

] and buy a cart to go about my apartment.
    It is maybe good for sick people, but healthy ones have got to stop moaning and get on!
    Get on guys[girls], be natural and don't degenerate.

BTW, you of course know that astronauts without any training lose their bone mass, cells and spoil their health up there.
    Why? because they don't use their muscles!
    !Good Luck!

21. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

First Reported Segway Crash

22. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The guy fell over. But notice the scooter remained upright.

23. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I personally do not see that the IT will ever be a big thing. Nice for a novelty, prehaps. I just do not see the population of the world going this way. Not when a pair of tennis shoes cost a whole lot less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.