Alien Visit.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by aaqucnaona, Dec 21, 2011.

1. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I wanted your opinions on a thought experiment/ hypotheical question.

If say a fleet of alien motherships travelling at 40% of the speed of light was coming towards us, could we discover them before they reach us?

Ps. What kind of preperation would the human race make? And what will the aliens do? They sure as hell didnt come this far to take over a lump of rock around a distant star. If they ever come, it would either be by accident or for us.
    Would they tap into the internet and discover our languages and our knowledge?

PPS. This is completely hypotheical; a thought experiment one might say. Sci-fi nonsense apart, how would such a situation play out?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Since I am the Op, I have thought about this and I will initialize the thread. Please add your versions of the events and comment on mine.

This fleet is likely to be an exploratory expedition, belonging to a race at least a few thousand years ahead of us in technology. They would have discovered this planet to be habitable and with a favourable chemical composition with enough time passed for evolution to take place. So they would have a basic mission to orbit the planet and collect data, decide on manned [or aliened] missions to the surface. Or they may have heard seti and decided to come prepared for a generally advanced race, in which case they would label our planet as planet with life, no. 1128 and planet with advanced civilization, no. 39.

They would probably be discovered around the orbits of neptune and radio tranmissions similiar to the voyeger golden record would be made. The aliens and their supercomputer watches would imidiately start to deconstruct, understand and learn human languages. They would sent a basic transmission [in a few days] in all the languages we sent them explaining there purpose [exploration] and their origins. They would probably request a data link to the internet.

The first contact group from the fleet would race ahead and reach the moon, settling in orbit around it. The main fleet would slow do with a more acceptable acceleration for it would have the lifeforms. They would sent a few drones with welcome and offerings of, say, a proof of goldenberg conjecture. Then the drones would start taking physical samples of everything and sending the data back the the group around the moon, which is now taking pictures of ants in the amazon basin and combing through the internet for human knowledge, news and surprisingly large amounts of documentations of human mating.

What next? I dont know enough about world politics to postulate the further development of this situation. I think others here, especially [IMO] fraggle and aqueous, would be helpful in developing this thought experiment further.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

if you explore Ancient history , aliens have been here thousands of yrs ago

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Um... that belongs in alternative theories. This is a thought experiment.

8. river

it is time people that we as Humans explore our ancient history

there is lots that is missing , the destruction of Alexandra and its books of knowledge

the Spaniards burning of Mayan books of knowledge

etc.

yet we can still draw some understanding of our distant , very distant , past

the clay tablets of Sumer , for instance

we need to do this , to help understand ourselves

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Aliens that live elsewhere have much different types of characteristics. As examples some can't breathe oxygen nor drink water while others can't eat anything but plasma. So here on Earth we aren't really something that other alien life needs to need so why should they land here since doing so will kill them? Many of our bacteria will cause them to break out in hives as well!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Come on. Androids, robots, probes, suits, drones - there a million ways to work in a hostile environment. And an intelligent alien civilization is worth exploring. If they can find over a 1000 planets with life, do interstellar spce travel, and find intelligent civilizations over 35 times, no problem with stop them from contacting the earth and comming here.
    So, suppose they did, what would happen next - politically and scientifically?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The smartest ones would stay away because they know we have nothing to offer them but problems.

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

13. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Besides, their protective gear is most likely a biological tissue that is highly vulnerable to the bacteria Cosmic referred to. Just because they are exoplanetary life forms does not mean they never have a bad day. Look, if they were so adept at everything (esp. faster than light speed travel) what would they want with us anyway? Our trailer houses maybe, I can see that: hook one up to an impulse generator and wait for a tornado. Or maybe they came to investigate truck nuts, wondering if we've reached the technology level that they have, for gene-crossing machines - maybe they want to borrow one to use in a breeding experiment! Or heck they must have economic problems too so maybe they want to figure out how Rush Limbaugh gets paid for what he does.

I know one thing, when they do get here, I'll be ready, with my secret decoder ring I bought in 1962, which came with a 100 year guarantee, so I know it's still working.

14. river

we just don't seem to take our Ancient past history very seriously

its to bad really because there alot to learn

for instance in Lebanon , there is a Temple called Baalbek , which has three stones weighing 800 tons ( x2000lbs= one millon six hundred thousand pounds!!!) 1,600,000 lbs!!!

its only within the 20th century that we have the equipment to lift 2000 tons

see my point

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Some of us actually think.

Especially true in your case.

What does that have to do with anything?
    According to you these stones only weighed 800.

Have you bothered to read this?

16. river

upon ?

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

About what history actually tells us.
    As opposed to the woo woos who scream "Aliens!" at every opportunity.

18. river

and Especially true for you

19. river

so your going to flip 800tons , 1,600,000 lbs!!! and without damage

please D , give it a rest , surely your not that .......

20. river

well just read then , investigate in depth , for yourself

21. river

by the way D , that 800 ton stone ,at Baalbek , also had to be lifted 30ft into the air then placed into position , just so you know.....

22. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Common guys, you are not taking this seriously. This is a thought experiment. And river keeps posting ancient astronaut stuff.

@AI and CT,
    if we founch life under europa, even if it is just a bunch of squid like animals, wouldn't out government spend billions to check it out? What do we want from them, sushi?
    Advanced life would undoubtedly check out other advanced life.

23. river

a thought experiment , a thought experiment.....

surely you jist

it has nothing to do with a thought experiment , at all

just check out baalbek