To the scientist and non-scientist posters here:

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Green Destiny, Sep 26, 2010.

1. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

Don't lie AN. You are quite obviously Green Destiny as well as guest, rpenner and me (?) It's all a big scam to drum up publicity for something. I don't know what, and it isn't working very well because not only are you the only one posting, you're the only one reading too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You are right. It's a publicity stunt.
    The net is going frantic with rumours and speculation.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Green Destiny Banned Banned

You hyporitical, contradictory bunch of fools. You now take fun out of me by trying to insinuate I was dictating something related to an identity-conspiracy... Guest. Did you or did you not create a conspiracy of your own saying I was Volkathi? Prom, Alphanumeric, and I am sure maybe quarkhead was egged on to these conspiracies as well. When I talk of a forum-mafia, I don't mean there is one hand playing the strings of these identities you go by, but rather individually you class yourselves as somehow an elite select-group of individuals who are truely the only people to express their thoughts, while others are silenced on their grand authorities.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Happy to hold my hands up on this one!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Of the two well-known returnee idiots that frequent this forum, I guessed you were the other one!

8. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Based on no other evidence than ignorant extrapolation from one 16-year-olds minimal schooling experience, you called me liar when I pointed out the fact that high school students could have calculus classes. The only authority I needed was facts.

We don't need to be grand authorities to trip up your flights of puffery, we just need a few facts that the rest of the world already knows about. You are trying to run before you have learned to walk and you want credit for running well when you clearly can't even see the track.

Your behavior has been seen time and time again, and not just by you. It's part of a dysfunctional Internet syndrome where people substitute ignorance for study and research, substitute random speculation for tested scientific methodology, and substitute sterile peppering of text with unearned vocabulary for meaningful discussion and informed argument. It never ends well, perhaps explaining why spawning multiple identities seems to be a related symptom.

But instead of modifying your behavior to fit the facts, you want to win the war of what is the best way to do math and physics by insulting those people who bring the facts. What you call elitism is nothing more than the facts of the universe: Math and Physics are hard and "there is no royal road to geometry." As people who travelled down that road further than most, we are telling you need to walk it before you can expect to follow along with a physics lecture where the differentiation of an exponential is supposed to be computed in the head, and that being able to TeX up a copy of standard model Lagrangian isn't going to allow you insight into the mass spectrum of hadrons or electroweak unification.

9. Neverfly Banned Banned

It's been experienced even... By me.

When I joined Bad Astronomy and Universe Today forum, I did a lot of this and then whined that a Clique was out to get me.

And to This Day-- I'm uncertain of how much extent was my bad behavior or my running afoul of the clique.

Ok, well I didn't paste equations and I didn't pop out absurd claims of Maxwell's equations but still...

My point is that I can relate to the perception on both sides. I shamefully admit it makes me sympathetic to Green Destiny because I'm fairly sure that he, too, is uncertain about if it's his behavior or a clique out to get him.

It's all over there and anyone can go over to BAUT and read, or ask the members here that participate over there as well.

I'm still learning to watch my behavior.

This is why I'm telling Green Destiny: Grow up and let it go. I've been reading the same material. These folks are Not Out To Get you.
    Adjust your behavior- and it's likely they'll respect the change.

10. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Dear baby Jesus: please, please give me the strength not to......aww crap

[citation needed]

11. Green Destiny Banned Banned

You are right indeed, In called you a liar.

I came to the conclusion later however, that perhaps my methodologies where a bit antiquated - by simply jumping the gun, and now I have been refreshed in my memory of this flaw of mine, I apologize for my harsh accusation.

12. Green Destiny Banned Banned

I may not be a rocket scientist, but I am ot an idiot Neverfly. This has been a progressive thing, by random attacks by a collection of people who are always in agreement with each other. Call this infantile if you wish, but let me state one obvious fact,

It's easy to tell me to ''grow up'' and ''let it go''. Even if I did, taking into respect the character of AAlphanumeric, Guest, possibly rpenner, they would never let it go. The only possible solution then, would be to go. I don't know if I feel I am running away just because of a few bully-natures, but in real life such targeting would probably not annoy me - but the fact they will never let their natures down, how do I even survive a chance?

Continue maybe, in these verbal match syndromes?

13. Green Destiny Banned Banned

I want an honest scientist here, who can say they never had a small dabble here and there concerning equations a little advanced to the current education they've recieved on it? Come on... Seriously... never sat down and decided to adventure a little into investigating some of the more difficult equations to get a good taster? Maybe never tried to satisfy a little pet theory by writing it down, testing also your ability to write calculus, try and correct errors if they arise? Isn't that itself a type of self-training method?

Concerning also the equation on the graviton, was really because, and this was a geniun reason, that I wanted to know if the graviton was massless because of that equation.

I remember reading a paper on massive gravitational fields, and saw that equation, and the description it gave. To me, as those terms vanished on the field which describes their respective couplings, I wondered if this is what it mathematically meant to have a zero-mass for a graviton. But Alphanumeric gave me something else which talked directly about the properties in a wave equation form.

14. Neverfly Banned Banned

Ok, then let me try a different tactic.

Demonstrate the case by:
    Behaving less angrily and more calmly.
    Not letting trash talk get you down.
    Backing up your work with supportive links, solid math and a demonstration of the knowledge on how to do what you can do; and admitting to what you cannot do.

Before you say you have done this- Let it go.

Just demonstrate it from here on out and if there is a clique- it will reveal itself.
    If there isn't one and I'm right- then your problem will be solved.

15. Green Destiny Banned Banned

I try and do these things. I even correct mathematical errors when being shown them. The only reason if I would stay, is if I put rpnner, alphanumeric and quarkhead to ignore. I don't mind Pete; I can handle him, and I like James, I think he is creative.

But what would be the point, other than to stay? If they backed off with the innapropriate attitude, I probably would not need to do put them on ignore, so what do you think? Put them on ignore and stay? Because to be quite frank, I don't think I could stay and constantly have them specifically trying to create their own little tactical verbal attacks everytime I make a thread. It's not the being corrected part, it's how they correct you which I cannot personally tolerate.

16. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Let us see...

Subject admits to having trouble with high school calculus and has demonstrated as such. From this we can infer subject certainly isn't familiar with partial differential equations. Subject has also demonstrated that he does not understand what a tensor is. From this, we can infer that the subject certainly doesn't understand what spinors are. And yet...
    For those of you not in the know, Dirac's equation is a spinor valued partial differential equation. It is usually introduced in graduate courses in quantum field theory.

So once again, please explain...

17. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Now that would be the utmost folly, though not really in mine own case. You could learn a lot from Alpha, from rpenner, from prom, from..... If you want to learn, these are the guys that will help you.

If you are interested in physics, then obviously I am not on this list, but I DO know a little bit of mathematics. And like all here, will try to answer an honest question from anyone when it is well-motivated.

What you fail to understand, and what makes people here so cross, is that you make ASSERTIONS about subjects you quite clearly know nothing about, some of them in areas, as Guest says, are graduate level and well known to some here. And the same same time demonstrating - even admitting - you have not studied math to any great level.

Can you not see that for someone who has devoted 7 - 9 years of hard study might feel a little aggrieved by some poster who claims to know things that can only be learned by that sort of hard work, when they themselves have not? That is the source of the aggro.

Here's the deal (I speak for myself - you may well have tainted your relationship with others here). If there is some piece of mathematics you don't understand, pose it as a question and I will try to answer. If I cannot I will say so. And if I cannot, others MIGHT be willing to.

I cannot speak for all the physicists, though I know Alpha fairly well (as far as this makes sense on an internet forum), and I am reasonably confident he would do the same in math and/or physics IF and ONLY if your posts were to be questions rather than the arrogantly wrong assertions that have characterized your posts so far. I hope others here who I know less well might do the same, but that is up to them.

18. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You said you'd leave so leave, don't make a big song and dance for attention.

19. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

AN, I'm not letting this slip by. Please provide specifics and give me the chance to either defend myself or allow me to issue a mea culpa.

20. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

21. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Come ON bro, you can do better than that. You think anything was actually resolved in that thread? I'm asking for specific posts in which I am clearly, factually wrong and refuse to admit it. I'm not talking about subjective interpretations, unfalsifiable positions, etc.

22. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Always happy to offer a helping hand...
    Happy for you to show us this is the case.

I'm not convinced you're going to be able to do it though!

23. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Me either, but I would enjoy a thread on surjective/bijective/injective coordinates so keep an eye out for it...