Muslim scholar issues fatwa against terrorism

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well its about time that there are more muslim voices that condemn terrorism instead of making excuses for it, like those that posit its a response to their families being killed which certainly wasn't the case for the 9/11 hijackers or a response to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan forgetting that these attacks existed before. One even admits that suicide attacks are caused by brainwashing instead of the himming and hawing that you get from the apologists.

An influential Muslim scholar is to issue in London a global ruling against terrorism and suicide bombing.

Dr Tahir ul-Qadri, from Pakistan, says his 600-page judgement, known as a fatwa, completely dismantles al-Qaeda's violent ideology.

The scholar describes al-Qaeda as an "old evil with a new name" which has not been sufficiently challenged.

The scholar's movement is growing in the UK and has attracted the interest of policymakers and security chiefs.

In his religious ruling, Dr Qadri says that Islam forbids the massacre of innocent citizens and suicide bombings.

Although many scholars have made similar rulings in the past, Dr Qadri's followers argue that the massive document being launched in London goes much further.

Extremist groups based in Britain recruit the youth by brainwashing them that they will be rewarded in the next life Shahid Mursaleen

They say it sets out point-by-point theological arguments against the rhetoric used by al-Qaeda inspired recruiters.

The fatwa also challenges the religious motivations of would-be suicide bombers who are inspired by promises of an afterlife.

The populist scholar developed his document last year as a response to the increase in bombings across Pakistan by militants.

The basic text has been extended to 600 pages to cover global issues, in an attempt to get its theological arguments taken up by Muslims in western nations. It will be promoted in the UK by Dr Qadri's organisation, Minhaj ul-Quran International.

Shahid Mursaleen, spokesman for Minhaj-ul-Quran in the UK, said the fatwa was hard-hitting.

"This fatwa injects doubt into the minds of potential suicide bombers," he said.

"Extremist groups based in Britain recruit the youth by brainwashing them that they will 'with certainty' be rewarded in the next life.

"Dr Qadri's fatwa has removed this key intellectual factor from their minds."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8544531.stm

Another good article on the cleric: http://mmabbasi.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/islamic-scholar-says-suicide-bombers-will-go-to-hell/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

these voices have always been their people like you have just refused to listen

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well PJ I have said before that there are muslims who condemn terrorism so it is you who fail to listen and comprehend. What pisses me off are those muslims or not who pity pot over suicide bombers as if they are somehow the victim (much the way you did over the fort hood shooting). Or the ones who look at Paradise Now and see error and cowardice as some kind of excuse for stupidity and ineffective activism. Then of course you have those who excuse muslim over-reaction to Danish cartoons and make excuses as if the wrong came from exercising their freedom of speech in their own country, you know, the ones who think its somehow justified or justifiable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

so than why are you treating this as something surprising and new?
    they usually are victims of something [QUOTE(much the way you did over the fort hood shooting).[/QUOTE] I did no such thing. Just because I believe in trying to understand why things happen doesn't mean I condone them. but than again I guess honesty too much to ask.
    Yes their are those but they are the minority which people like you try and pretend are the majority.

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Oh I don't know maybe because its being covered in the news. Maybe you didn't read the part of the OP where I wrote "Well its about time that there are more muslim voices that condemn terrorism". 'More' being the operative word. I mean you have had Saudi clerics saying things like this:

"I praise the jihad against the occupiers in Iraq," said Sheik Ai'dh Al-Qarni on Arabic-TV. "Throats must be split and skulls must be shattered."

Another cleric says suicide bombings are forbidden inside Saudi Arabia, but outside they can be "a good thing."

"There is nothing wrong with [suicide attacks] if they cause great damage to the enemy," said Sheik Abdallah Al-Muslih, also on Arabic-TV.

In fact, in November 2004, 26 Saudi clerics published a religious statement urging Muslims to wage holy war in Iraq. "Jihad against the occupiers is a must," said the statement. "[It is] not only a legitimate right but a religious duty."

NBC News went to Saudi Arabia to talk to some of the clerics, including Sheik Safar Al-Hawaly, who signed the letter.

"It is the right of all the people in the world to push and to resist the occupier," he says.

Sheik Mosa al-Garni — who receives a government salary — told NBC News that jihad is justified because Americans are aggressors against a Muslim country.

"The terrorist in Iraq is the American Army," he says.

He urges young Saudis to go to Iraq to fight.

"If you are physically capable, don't hesitate. Go with God's blessings," he says.

The Saudi government acknowledges that none of the four clerics has been reprimanded or punished."

I agree they are victims of their own nihilism. You can try and understand idiocy, death and nihilistic acts if you like but to go so far as to sympathize with it...well...doesn't bode well for you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The minority seems to be quite loud here on sciforums but I never did think they represent the whole, nevertheless when you do come across the minority its best to call a spade a spade and condemn their bullshit justifications.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the implication is that not enough do. most have this vewiw it just isn't reported.

Of course its all their fault, they live in paradise

their is no way it could be a reflection of their lives your hate blinds you. these a poor people living under repressive regimes. Desperate people will do almost anything to end the pain.
    again you libel I don't sympathize. I guess your intellectually incapable of understanding idea and condoning it. These things despite what you want to push don't happen just because their are reasons and as long as people like you stick your head in the sand and ignore them we can't stop such things for happening.

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

My hate? I don't hate anyone, hates is too strong an emotion to waste on assholes. Disgust at suicide bombings yes but 'hate'? Again you never really comprehend another's opinion, though you seem to have no problem trying to defend the nihilism that caused unnecessary deaths (unless of course they are committed by Western military forces

What hypocrisy!

If you can characterize me with hatred I can characterize you as a sympathizer. Capiche?

What I don't understand are incoherent sentences like the following " I guess your intellectually incapable of understanding idea and condoning it. These things despite what you want to push don't happen just because their are reasons..."

The reasons for it are manipulation by a cancer that has taken the religion hostage and the propaganda and brainwashing that make them believe in such nonsense while continuing to call themselves 'religious'. No matter how you slice a shitty excuse PJ its still shitty excuse. But again you have become a warrior without a cause? Exactly what is it you object to PJ? The fact that I was the one who highlighted the news by posting it on sciforums? Or that I don't take a moment of silence for all those suffering suicide bombers? I mean you claim that these are people who suffer but the bombers in England were living in the West not in some fucked up part of the war ridden world! The men who bombed 9/11 had families and were educated. So yes its brainwashing someone into a corrupt religious principle and nothing else. Sorry no sympathy from me.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Then it should be easy to provide evidence of such.

At the same time, this is good news.

12. sandy Banned Banned

Statements like that crack me up.

If the Muslim is sincere then good for him. I respect him. If he is doing it for any selfish, insincere motive, then I don't.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Doesn't everyone know yet that moderate Muslims enjoy being occupied by foreign troops, enjoy having a puppet government imposed upon them, enjoy being bombed by drones or white phosphorus?

You give me your Muslim scholar, I raise you a drag queen who hosts a political show in Pakistan

Oh yeah, he has a bigger following in Pakistan than the Mullah in the UK. [mullah ki daud masjid tak, or the mullah only runs as far as the nearest mosque which means that when there is a crisis, the mullah is the first to seek refuge]

14. otheadp Banned Banned

There is a rising tide of this sort of fatwas. A little late, but better late than never. There's a similar fatwa issued here in Canada. I don't know these imams, but I hope they're influential and not on the margins of the Muslim world. They should be endorsed by the much larger Islamic organizations such as the Arab League, the OIC, the Egyptian Islamic university, etc. But since the issuers of these fatwas live in the west, they might be marginalized and dismissed "at home".

Well, at least this reduces some of the home-grown threats in the west.

A positive step indeed.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Name one fatwa that anyone has carried out.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

SAM has been posting stuff from various clerics and Islamic sources condemning this or that incident of terrorism, for a long time, on this forum. So have a few other people, the exact circumstances and names escape me at the moment - I know I laid off a couple of posts to that effect because they would have been redundant.

Some folks are just discovering them? Better late than never.

But the actual "news" here, if any, would be more this:
    The complaints of many here, that the news has been extraordinarily biased in this regard, bent to the point of absurdity and clownish propaganda ravings (the "translations" of Amadinaejad's speeches are particularly clear examples, with the issues laid out in text, and we may recall the reception of that news here - the latest "mistranslation" being just this past week, as AJ once again did not call for the annihilation of Israel), are well supported by the reaction to this latest fatwa. Been here, done this, a dozen times.

The one by Khomeini against all those "responsible" for Rushdie's book resulted in the killings of dozens of people, including some direct assassinations of translators etc.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And they did it to carry out the fatwa by killing anyone except Rushdie

And they did it to carry out the fatwa, specifically? It was Shias who did it then, since Sunnis do not follow the Twelvers?

19. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

what's fatwa???

20. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

It is good that Muslim scholars have issued a fatwa against terrorism. Now how do we get Christian scholars and the Pope to issue a fatwa against neocolonialism?

21. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

what's fatwa, and what's neocolialism,

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So it was reported. The part about "any with knowledge of its contents" was particularly influential in targeting translators, apparently.

23. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Fatwa, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwā

I short a Fatwa a formal statement given by a moral authority that a certain action should or should not be done.

Neocolonialism, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocolonialism

In short Neocolonialism is one nation or agroup of nations or group of corporations trying to control another nation to benefit themselves while pretending not to be trying to control the other nation so as to not provoke a nationalist backlash in the controlled nation and an ethical backlash in the controlling nation and other nations..