Is America a WASP state?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Aug 21, 2009.

?

Is America a WASP state?

1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No

72.2%
  3. Some other opinion

11.1%
  4. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If sexuality is irrelevant to a womans core, then encouraging young women to explore theirs without reservation is also not objectively incompatible with feminism.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Aye, but that's a pretty big if...

For that matter, couldn't the sentence also read:

?

Edit: Two things though: What exactly do you mean by "without reservation"? And, whose feminism? Feminism is far too broad--pardon the pun.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just saw your edit:

But what is "sinister"? The feeling of revulsion is subjective and requires preconditioning with a moral code. If you don't see someone as a human being would you be morally inclined to treat them as one? And even when you do [see them as humans], should your priorities be the same as those of others with a different moral construct?

We are all to a lesser or greater extent brainwashed into our moral values. Otherwise, what makes them relevant?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I think the same could be said for Plato, who insisted that women were inferior and would never have the capacity to learn as men and that they were lesser creatures with no ability whatsoever to maintain abstract, analytical, or logical thinking which, I hope, in this day and age, has been proven completely incorrect, though the fight for women still continues. Yet that is not to say that Plato was not a brilliant man, he just believed that women had a certain role to play in society and that their role was unequal to a man's role. He maintained that women, while necessary to keep society running smoothly, were not equal to men when it came to brain-power, which we know to be completely incorrect as of today, yet we still study him.

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

True. There was no shame in bonking little boys in Socrate's day. But in Heidegger's day, for most of us at least, disregarding the contributions of jews, christians, muslims, and pretty much everything that transpired between the time of the ancient Greeks and Hoelderlin was quite loathesome.

No. But fortunately, some folk saw the jews, gypsies, epileptics, lunatics, and homosexuals as human [referring to previous reference]--or at least they purported to.

How can they be?

I wholeheartedly concur.

9. Slysoon Registered Senior Member

In 1968, under the title of "Skin Deep is not Good Enough", Walter Kerr wrote in the New York Times about the power and influence exerted by the ethnic WASP, and how it compared to the immigrants of the United States who were rapidly growing in numbers and influence due to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 and Civil Rights Act of 1964. Kerr wrote:

"Today, ...the immigrants - above all the Jewish immigrants - seem more American than [the WASP] does. They are the faces and voices and inflections of thought that seem most familiar to us, literally second nature. [The WASP] is the odd ball, the stranger, the fossil. We glance at him, a bit startled and say to ourselves, 'Where did he go?' We remember him: pale, poised, neatly dressed, briskly sure of himself. And we see him as an outsider, an outlander, a reasonably noble breed in the act of vanishing... He has stopped being representative, and we didn't notice it until this minute. Not so emphatically, anyway.

What has happened since World War II is that the American sensibility has become part Jewish, perhaps as much Jewish as it is anything else... The literate American mind has come in some measure to think Jewishly. It has been taught to, and it was ready to. After the entertainers and novelists came the Jewish critics, politicians, theologians. Critics and politicians and theologians are by profession molders; they form ways of seeing."

Kerr emphasized Jews, above all immigrants, as being more influential and representative in America than the WASP. Forty-one years later, we see Jews have become the most influential, wealthy, and intelligent ethnic group in the United States, followed by East Asians and Whites. If demographics continue to change so dynamically, the WASP will become a distinct minority in its own country. The reality, as Kerr noted, is that the WASP is no longer relevant, and America is most definitely not a WASP state.

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I know Sam your idea of the ideal woman is one where her womanly parts as well as her heart are as cold as ice. And of course she was the sole cause of a Satre's alcoholism because all educated people know that its not something you do to yourself its something that's caused by others.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You're an idiot because you fail to see the humanity in others.

I say both Ayn Rand and Simone out rank you on all accounts.

11. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

/keeping cover must.. keep...

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:

edit: ineteresting, I can't just smile, but I can just bugeye

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

...cover :fright: :runaway:

14. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

I think the fact that we have a black president refutes this. I'm sure that there are areas in the US that are VERY waspish, but there are also areas that are very mexican, chinese, or polish.

15. superstring01 Moderator

Still, mostly. But that's changing.

~String

16. birch Valued Senior Member

the issue with those who identify as wasps are that they are usually the ones who consider themselves the "true" americans and are the only ones who actually rightfully belong, no matter what.

another issue is they will often take credit for the achievements both civil, technological, political and social as reflecting positive on themselves or country as well as reponsible for it. this despite the fact it was actually the ones whose values were contrary to theirs that were mostly responsible as those who fought for civil rights, women's rights, rights of differing sexual orientation, research, advanced medicine, science etc.

they are the first likely to retort "leave if you don't like it", if even a hint of criticism is expressed, even if it's valid. this attitude is not what actually is responsible for improvement or progress though later, after it's all done, they will be the ones to pipe up and blindly and arrogantly to take credit once more as the "real" american.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  17. Meursalt Comatose Registered Senior Member

I have not yet read this entire thread. I probably will, at some point.

But the OP is clearly post designed to do nothing more than incite anger. That is what is commonly known as trolling, and I am of the opinion that there are many who would have been taken to task for it before this hit two pages, let alone four. You think this was designed to incite "discussion"?
    Are you blind?

These mods of ours say they want to clean this place up. They say they want to gag those who don't "play nicely".
    Well there it is, right in front of their faces... and no reaction.

Never mind the hypocrisy. Never mind the trolling. Never mind the derailing of so many threads. You think twice before censoring her, and why?
    Because she is representative of your own guilt.

Thinly veiled stupidity, hypocrisy, and prejudice. That's all SAM represents.
    But the gods help anyone who says "fuck". This is the way of things.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not at all. I frequently hear it referred to that America is based on Christian values and in a separate thread, Lucy gave, as an example of white pride, the WASPs celebrating their role in building the country.

I wanted to know if most people viewed America as White, Anglo Saxon and Christian.

Or does a Black, African, "hidden" Muslim President indicate that Americans now view themselves differently?

Or do other people think America and "see" coloured people of pagan or Islamic or Hindu religion?

Or is it still white Anglo Saxon Christians? What do you see?

19. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Rubbish. I simply gave you one example along with the Irish as people who celebrate their heritage and you took that and twisted it in your usual fashion.

'Hidden muslim'? Do you know something about Obama that I dont? He isn't a muslim.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I was charactreising the unremitting portrayal of Obama as a hidden Muslim. My immediate reaction to that was "so what if he is a Muslim" [which he isn't]?

Does one need to be Christian to be President of the USA?

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What difference does it make?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats what I am asking you. Does he have to also be a Christian?

23. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Did U.S presidents have to be white? Up until recently some would have thought so and then Obama became president. Does the U.S president have to be male? We'll have to wait and see if that fat calf Clinton gets her hand on the oval office. No one thought there would be a catholic president and then there was Kennedy. You are attempting to build an argument out of thin air. Obviously there is no 'rule' that says there cannot be a muslim, jewish, hindu, buddhist president or even a president who doesn't give a fart about religion