I'll Pay Cash for a Minor Circuit Design

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Diode-Man, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Hello!

I am an all around conceptual inventor, understanding basic flows of electricity and engineering. My latest invention goes beyond my own knowledge by a small amount. Once I get the business started I will pay $100 to the person who designs this intermediate circuit to the best configuration! (via Paypal)

Here goes:
    RGB LED lights have 4 wires coming off them. If you mix the colors you can produce 6 hues with one light!

The question is this:

What parts would be needed, and how would they be arranged to: Make a light which flashes: Green, Turquoise (mix), Blue, Violet (mix), Red, Amber (mix) and then back to Green again.

And finally, it should have a speed control nob. From maybe say, a 5 second wait time before color change up to such a speed that it may seam that all the lights on the RGB have been left on in a super fast flash.

Thanks!

(PS I am expecting money in the near future and should be able to pay within a month for sure )

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

ALSO I would like to add that it will be a single one watt RGB led which is rated at 300ma. And 900ma if all colors are left on. Of course, 600ma to mix two of the colors together.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Does no one want $25 for a simple circuit design?

Will you (sciforums) answer my questions out of curiosity then?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

too late
    you fucked up

/smile

mmm
    inspiring words

8. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I doubt you can design circuits, next!

9. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

K... I'm increasing the amount to $100

If you're a greedy bastard I may even consider giving you a percentage on my invention sales.....

10. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

How about this then?

Some electronics freak go to Ebay and make an item called "I will design your RGB strobe circuit." With a buy it now for $100.

I have an account there with 100% good feedback. The key is that you designate that I can pay in a month or two. I am willing to put my Ebay feedback/account on the line for this!

(on account that you can actually design what I need!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

A hundred bucks isn't worth the trouble. Try a thousand, minimum.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Put it on a piece of paper and stick it on the bulletin board of the engineering dept in the nearest unis. You'll be more likely to get results.

13. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

How about a percentage of sales?

I'm quite sure that I'll be able to resale this in Wal-Marts nation wide... for now, the application of it will be kept confidential.

Nearest unis? What is a unis?

14. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Sam means University...or you might try an electronics forum. I probably could have designed something 15 years ago..when I was in EET school..but I haven't done circuit designs in ages.

Maybe use a 555 timer chip and a pot to vary the flash rate...need a little more details to actually put something together.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

i've been thinking about this since the thread was created.
    the only solution i can think of is to use a binary counter or maybe some flip flops.
    the binary counter will give you the synchronization you need.

edit:
    stealing from macgyver, you can use the 555 to drive the counter.
    a variable resistor can be used to control the 555's output thereby altering the flash rate.

edit 2:
    you will need a 3 stage truncated binary counter, each stage outputs to the LED.
    the count sequence is: 4,2,3,1,5,6.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  16. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

The LED runs off 3.55 volts for the blue and green. And a single 2.2 volts for the red. The max voltage for blue and green is 3.99 and the max voltage for red is 3.10 volts. I think it may be powered by either 2 C batteries or 2 D sized....

I'm not quite sure what a truncated binary counter is. My main problem is figuring out how to make power go into one line on the LED, then 2 lines, then 1 line, then 2 lines, as it rotates around the 3 X 1 watt led units.

Remember, we are making 3 colors with the original 3, making 6 in all. Also, each diode in the single star takes 300ma.

I will consider all who have helped in this design

You WILL be rewarded

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

I bought a little drinks coaster the other day, that phases a three colour LED gently, blending the colours to produce lots of different shades. I put a large lump of quartz crystal on it from my modest mineral collection, and it looks quite cool.

That said, I really doubt you could patent a circuit or application for something that steps through colours, as it's been done, and is already in the marketplace.

Here's a fader circuit;

http://www.diylife.com/2008/01/25/make-a-usb-color-changing-light/

18. John99 Banned Banned

19. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Would youmind using a PIC chip?

20. draqon Banned Banned

yeah exactly just use a PIC microchip, you can program them real with with PICKit2, there are voltage regulators in some of them

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Patent's are actually an awkward one, as to patent something you actually have to talk publically about the concept or on-going development prior, otherwise it generates a number of problems where people that have participated in the discussion are a-party to that patent, making it a legislative nightmare.

If you have an idea you are suppose to keep it to yourself, design it, (check that something similar isn't already patented), before attempting to patent and of course build a prototype to prove it's operational. If you need help or funding, then if you are dealing with something truly patent worthy you'll need to create a non-disclosure agreement with anyone that you employ (as well as identifying that all work they do is either their own or owned by the company that employs them). Obviously it's not just fee's for initial costs for the prototype but also the various checks made and legal aid.

There are various packages you can pickup from different countries patent offices to aid a person patenting something (or not as the case may be). You have to note though for every 100 patented products, only 10-15 are probably produced, while others are shelved or proven to have no market.

22. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Hi Diode-Man

I can design this for you, if you like.

As mentioned above, a PIC microcontroller will be great. They're (relatively) simple to use and you can achieve a greater amount of control.

I would recommend using three software PWMs to control the current through the LEDs and a digital potentiometer (sometimes called a rotary encoder) to adjust the speed.

I can design a simpler analogue circuit if you'd prefer to reduce the cost (PIC costs 1-2 dollars each).

Get in touch by PM for quote.

23. John99 Banned Banned

wow...there you go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.