Age Concern, cuts both ways .......you know

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by lucifers angel, Aug 2, 2008.

?

Should us adults be able to talk like adults, in an adult thread

Poll closed Feb 18, 2009.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. has long as your not abusing anyone/thing

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, oh I see.
    I think the sex that would be talked about that youngsters can't see, could never be appropriate. If sex is talked about as relating to reproduction, biology, sociology, etc, why would it ever need to be kept away from them?
    Having an 'adult section' sounds dirty and unworthy of this forum. Any sex that is talked about on this science board should be hidden and kept away. It makes it dirty.

When have I ever ever said sex shouldn't be discussed? You assume too much

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Like I should of stated in the other thread, most of the thoughts/ideas were "brain storming". I was bouncing ideas out and seeing how you guys respond.

Like I've tried to state time and time again, this is not about one posters opinion of content, it's actually about online censorship systems that "Rate" this site by it's content.

For instance lets look at the Googles Adsense policies:
    This is just one example and only looking at the sites ads. I know back when Porfiry was in charge Google did pull him up on this, they actually stopped his advertisements for a duration until he'd argued with them about it. It even caused the site to be brought down for a period.

Obviously though this is before most of the posters here registered.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

jeaus stryder. How do any achademic sites pass these criteria?
    the last one is a huge problem, for staters is problematic because what is legal in Australia (for instance drinking at 18 or having sex with a 16 year old) is illegal in the US. Homosexuality is illegal in some repressive countries while in other westen countries we push for more freedom. Even a discussion as to wether weed should be legalised would be against these rules

As for profanity who judges whats "excessive", i dont concider an occasional "fuck" to be offencive or excessive yet my mother probably would

As for the first one it has been a constant problem for us since i joined, especially where it touches politics and world events and even ethics. Where does a debate on racial intolerance BECOME racial intolerance. Just look at china

Basically what your suggesting is that biology, ethics, science and sociaty, Human science, politics, world events, freethoughts, Religion and even formal debates should be excluded from search results so that we dont breach these rules.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

I dont see what the problem is. Well we need mature moderation, moderators who can make decisions and not have emotional problems or baggage or are out to get one group of people because they dont fit into a ceertain mold.

To be honest it has becomae a real drag. I have seen the user (lurker) go down from 900 and over to a mere 200-300 and most are BOTS. We sit here and talk to the same people, merely tolerating eachother.

8. John99 Banned Banned

But then popel need to moderate themselves. Sure this is the internet but come on lets not act like the Beverly hillbillies.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

As I said it was just an example, there is no way this site could ever be "squeaky clean" in regards to stringent rating systems.

Although the Religion forum for the use of the words "God" and "Jesus" should be enough for Google to pull it's Ads hehe.

John99,
    I hope you aren't implying I'm out to get anyone, as I've stated before it was just a brainstorm/proposal made to get an idea what people think and in certain respects it's created some wonderful topical discussion although people might be "critical" and feel like it's aimed at them.

What I can ascertain for now is that if parent's want to bitch about what their children do online, then they should be doing the censorship themselves, not us. So it's not about youngsters seeing something they shouldn't, in honesty if a kid sees something they aren't happy with... Tell your parents to censor what you can see, it's called parenting.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Remind me never to become a parent.
    Too much hassle.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

your all blowing this out of proportion, right shoud kids be subject to adult chatter? no they shouldn't fine, right, but us adults should not have to watch what we say because kids are about, and frankly at times we talk abotu thinsg that are white knuckle very late at ngiht and if orleanders mothering if anything to go ny, they should be in bed

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

:bravo: AMEN!!!!

I hope people realize the kids that are posting here have access to the WHOLE internet and there is far far far worse out here than a thread on whether or not women have sex fantasies. And I bet they have already been to those sites clicking on a button that says they are 18.
    I agree with Luci, we are making a mountain out of a molehill.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Both.
    I can't stand capitualation to unnecessary censorship and political correctness.

I don't mind simple rules regarding overt sexuality and an effort to keep a science site from degrading into a vulgar, offensive site, but there has to be a line.
    This isn't pre-school and people should be able to address adult topics, sexuality, psychology and philosophy.
    Those who are offended by adult discussion are obviously too immature to be here, so they should not be here - as opposed to requesting all other members to be "sensitive" to the immature minority.

While you're at it, censor racial bullshit and other overtly offensive material, but don't go overboard.

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i dont like cencorship never have done, but i think if kids read somthing they shouldnt they shouldnt be able to go crieing to the nearest person, barbiegirl is way to sensitive to adult chatter, i am in no means suggesting a swingers forum just a place where adults can be adults

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

not to mention that anything which keeps draqon from posting in any thread with the REMOTIST conection to sex and sexuality is a good thing

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

so we should not have an adult forum in case draqon (you wanker) abuses it? way to go!!

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

anyway we all know to ignore draqon, he's a tit head

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Draqon's Temp banned for 1 day for prolific posting. So 24 hrs of almost normal posting

19. Gustav Banned Banned

prolific as in over 250 posts for today
    i shit you not
    go look

/dumbfounded

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Gustav Banned Banned

its spam
    i have to scroll past miles of draq's shit to peruse another's opinion
    the site's browsability is impacted and the tard does not care

21. John99 Banned Banned

Dont say or do anything you would not want your own kids subjected to.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  22. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

And it's affecting the sane kids...

23. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Yes, yes, I completely agree. We should absolutely ban every one under the age of 18.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!