Gamma-ray burst 080319B

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by blobrana, Mar 19, 2008.

1. blobrana Registered Senior Member

The Swift satellite detected a intense gamma-ray burst, GRB 080319B at 6:13 UTC, March 19th, 2008.
    The optical afterglow of the burst may have reached naked-eye visibility (magnitude ~ 5.7) for a brief few moments.

Position(2000): RA: 14 31 40.98 , Dec: +36 18 8.8

Read more

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Brightest light ever seen by astronomers
    The brightest burst of light ever seen - which peaked at a few hundred million billion times the brightness of our Sun - has been witnessed by astronomers.

Read more

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It would seem to me this could have been one of those things that happens when a black hole explodes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    i think it was probably just a stellar core collapse.
    I suspect it was bright because the blast was `polar` , and we were in the right direction to see the full polar jet.

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

What would be the danger zone for such a event? How close should it have been to be a treath?

9. blobrana Registered Senior Member

I don`t know.

UPDATED:

“A long gamma-ray burst within 6500 light years of Earth could produce enough radiation to strip away the ozone layer and cause a mass, or even total, extinction “
    Source New Scientist, 30 July 2005

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  10. blobrana Registered Senior Member

NASA measured the explosion as having occurred 7.5 billion years ago, before Earth was formed and more than halfway across the visible universe.

Read more