windsor knot.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by outlandish, Mar 25, 2007.

1. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

I'm terrible with knots.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

don't jump to conclusions. I can tie a windsor knot in my sleep. its the only way I ever tie a Tie.

the reason is that it makes a nice even knot compared to other ways of tying a tie, and it usually give a good dimple.

9. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

it's all about the dimple.

10. Roman Banned Banned

The only way you can tie a tie is in your sleep?
    Weird.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I like the Windsor because of the symmetry. However, it's best suited for "the old school tie" that is so common in England. Many of my American neckties are made of thicker material and that "twelve inches" isn't enough of a lead. It's more like fifteen inches and the short end winds up being way too short. I like to be able to run the short end through the tag loop on the back of the long end so it stays in place and I can't to that with a Windsor knot on those ties. I also hate dimples and go to great pains to end up without one.

As a result I usually resort to a four-in-hand knot.

I have about 150 neckties but I don't get to wear them too often since "business casual" became the norm. I'm more likely to wear a tie in the evening than in the daytime.

12. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

what do you think of those angelo galasso shirts?

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've never heard of them. I tried Googling but it must be a closely guarded design because I can find no pictures.

14. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

the link on post #4

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

150? Woah, that's a lot of ties. I have about a dozen, but they don't come out often anymore for the same reason. I tend to wear roll necks and slacks when I go into the office, or leave my shirt unfastened at the neck if I wear one. I prefer a half Windsor, btw.

I kinda miss having to wear a suit for work, meant my casual gear was alway ready for evenings and weekends. One place I worked was very casual so I wore the same stuff for work as I would any time else. Well, no camouflage perhaps, but that was probaby the only exclusion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

We called it a double windsor in Canadian forces. A holdover from pommie days I guess...
    I guess the difference is you do step 2 twice.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I hate the windsor.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I have to use it for my uniform, (not school), but i like it, It looks good big or small.

but i haven't tied any other ways so yeah.

19. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Windsors for me make the knot too big...I feel like I'm back in the 70's with a tie that covers half my chest.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The windsor is what we used in school for our ties.

Haven't worn a tie since school days.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I really don't get the point of learning different knots. I mean, Is there a knot called "pick up chicks". I didn't think so.

22. superstring01 Moderator

No, but there is a knot called, "get a good job" and "keep a good job", and that's pretty important... 'specially if you wanna' pick up all those chicks.

I have to wear a tie at work, every day. No casual business. I've got about fifty of them. I prefer stripes and I prefer newer designs to classic ones (but none of those 80's-esque thin ties: I'll never buy in to that). NO polka dots, or any dots of any kind. Though I do have a pretty nifty red christmas tie with little round bulblike ornaments on it. That's about it.

~String

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

According to Brooks Brothers, its based on which knots complement which collar styles and fabrics. Not that I can tell any difference.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/tieknots/tieknots.tem