"Do These Pants Make Me Look Fat?" Question

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oxygen, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Have you ever asked your significant (or insignificant) other if something you're wearing makes you look fat, or something similar? If you have, did you really want the truth? Would you rather have your beloved tell you that you look fine, or that it looks like you shop at Omar the Tent Maker's Bedouin Boutique?

(I know it's not my pants that make me look fat. It's the fat that makes me look fat. I gotta get back on the old treadmill!)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In the inimitable style of Ogden Nash

Sure, deck your limbs in pants, Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
    You look divine as you advance . . . Have you seen yourself retreating?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

This is why I plan to marry an Islam. Keep her wrapped up and in the kitchen all day.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

don't never, EVER tell your wife/girlfriend that anything she wears makes her look fat. believe me, honesty in this case will get you the doghouse.

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i tell my lady if her clothes look bad. they rarely do, but still...
    i would rather have my lady feel good about what she is wearing, than having that little doubt in the back of her mind.

confidence is attractive. apprehension is not.

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I rarely ask such questions, and if I do, I want the truth.
    In fact, I sometimes ask them as test questions, to see what the other person will say -- whether they will be honest, or just try to "please" me. Should I see that they are merely trying to please me (with their idea of what pleases me, not checking whether that really pleases me), then it's gonna be bad for them.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Only your significant other can answer this question, particularly if it's a woman. As Water says, sometimes a person really wants to know how she looks in a particular outfit. No matter how much natural beauty she has, some designer somewhere has created clothes that do not flatter her. Other times, she just wants the reassurance that she looks good.

You probably don't notice that she has gained five pounds since last week, or that she has water-bloat, or that her legs have bulked up from a little too much jogging. She knows, at least unconsciously, that from a long-term health standpoint it would be unwise to go on a crash diet, take a diuretic, or cut back on exercise for the sake of vanity. If someone close tells her that she looks good so there is no problem to solve, it will make the decision easier for her.

If your S.O. hasn't already told you that you could stand to compliment her on her appearance more often, and without being solicited, then you probably haven't been together for a long time yet. When you get to be my age it's difficult to change old behavior patterns so the S.O. just puts up with it, but it doesn't make her happy. Start saying what she wants to hear while you're young and able to change.

11. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'm a skinny guy so I don't ask the question. But if anyone asked ME if something made them look fat I would NEVER say yes! I've made the mistake of mentioning to someone that she looked like she lost weight and really looks good. Only to be blasted with the; "Oh I see. I was fat huh?? FINE!!!" So I don't touch it no more. No siree. Alot of times women ask the trap questions like that in the pursuit of a compliment. Don't fall for it.

12. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I've always been a relatively skinny guy, but I've been asked the question a multitude of times from past lovers/current wife.
    My wife is an easy going person, so if she asks the question, she simply says "ok", and changes clothes without a problem.

Past lovers however were a different story. Past lovers would ask the question, and successfully answering it with an honest opinion (both yes and no) was akin to disarming a landmine after accidentally standing on it.... like those movie scenes when the guys are creeping though the jungle, one of them steps and hears a 'click' and the other guy says "don't.....move...a....muscle'

It was always an unneccesarily sensitive question that was guaranteed to invoke 30 minutes or so of drama.

Edit--- I guess the guy above me said the same thing LOL. I hadn't read his before i posted. I guess i'm not the only one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  13. Archie Registered Senior Member

Samcdkey, that's great!

Is that Nash or your work? I can't tell.

In all honesty, women who ask such questions are looking for either a fight or feelings of guilt so the man will buy them something for which they won't just come out and ask.

The usual answer is, "Not the pants, honey."

That's why I collect guns. I've never had revolver ask me, "Honey, do these grips make me look fat?"

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its Nash; I'm a great believer in nonsense to get the point across

15. perplexity Banned Banned

LOL

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

perplexity:

You don't seem to have learned anything from your brief break from the forum.

Continue, and you will be banned for 2 weeks.

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

If I get asked, I assume that the asker means "Do these pants make me look less attractive than comparable outfits?" and I give an honest and constructive answer -
    "I like your blue slacks better.", or
    "They'd look great with your green blouse and a wide belt.", or
    "Mmmm... I like the way they hug your hips. Come over here and let me peel them off!", or
    "No, you look good.", or
    "They're OK, but you know I prefer you naked."

I haven't had any problems, but I haven't had many relationships either. If someone took it the wrong way, I'd either get cranky ("You asked! I'm only trying to help!") or offer to go shopping for something new, depending on how tolerant I'm feeling.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Where I live if a girl asks you: Does this make my butt look big? she is looking for a resounding yes.

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

But when she finds out she looks bad, she'll yell at you for lying.

20. perplexity Banned Banned

Please yourself, appease despair, take pity, whatever turns you on.

21. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I don't have anything against you, so please do not troll.

22. perplexity Banned Banned

But I would not want to be seen to try to please, just for the sake of it, would I, not checking whether that which really pleases?

It is not so unusual, is it, that somebody makes out as if they want the whole truth and nothing but, and then when they actually get it you find out what their disposition really was, and some people suffer from the experience of this to such an extent that they are habitually disposed to avoid questions of any sort, as if to avoid the anticipated displeasure if a straightforward answer were instead to be given.

What I'd prefer then to have seen here is an honest explanation of why anybody would actually prefer for anybody else to be thinking one version while electing to express another.

What is this urge about, to hope as if to direct somebody else's thought, to direct even their right to express it, to deny oneself the benefit of somebody else's experience or opinion? Because of what does the desire to control exceeed the curiosity? Please explain. I have no natural understanding of this. For me, always, the terror was rather to have to wonder, to not know, with the knowing, cruel or otherwise, considered rather to be a benefit.

--- Ron.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  23. NERD Registered Member

Ladies only want to hear a compliments.They will ask a question or state a statement in negativity. Then expect white-lies and to be told they are sexy.