Are stars a map of atoms

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Epitectus, Jul 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epitectus Registered Senior Member

Are star constellations a map of atoms?
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Cheers

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

stars are flaming balls of gas and fire, with a nuclear core, and yes, they do have atoms, but they are not maps of atoms, if they were, that would mean that either anotehr intellegent race made stars, so instead of haveing the 'death star' they had the 'life star' and made them, but u also ahve to think that stars arnt formed like that, that from almost amywere else in the galexy they would look totally different, each star is trillions of light years away from each other, backwors or forwords, sisde to side, up or down, different depth perception, becasue the onces in that are farther away, are bigger, so that they seem to be the same size, and the constellations are maps of people minds in a sence, who accually thought that orion looks like a guy, it might look like a belt, but not a hunter dude, and atoms dont look like dippers. so i think your theory is wrong!

------------------
    when christianity ruled the world, it was called the dark ages.

-dexter (nimrod242 :aol sn)

[This message has been edited by dexter (edited July 07, 2000).]

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Epitectus Registered Senior Member

Orion is made up of 7 stars. Elements such as water is made up of 3 molecules. I think there is a link

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Epitectus Registered Senior Member

The actual constellation of orion is made up of 7 stars (I think). So that particular constellation could represent a atom which is made up of different molecules e.g. H20 (I know this isn't made up of 7 atoms)

8. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi Epitectus,

Well, Orion might remind you of some sort of molecule, but there are also loads of other constellations that just are... nothing

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As Dexter said, constellations are products of the mind of man, it has nothing physical. You have to remember that the stars we see in the sky, are at alot of different distances. So to us, it might seem that the three stars forming Orion's belt are close together, while in fact one star could be several parsecs further than another (I don't know the exact figures by heart). The two-dimensional representation we give to the constellations is not natural nor physical, so I really can't see any reason to seek for a correlation with atom "maps" here.

Furthermore, constellations are constantly changing due to the so called "eigen movement" of the stars. The galaxy spirals around, but stars closer to the center spiral faster than ones farther out in the arms (this is called differential rotation). The constellation Ursa Major (Great Bear) will totally be deformed in 30000 years or so. Since atoms don't change form (well, H20 will remain H20 for the days of eternity to come, if nothing happens to it ofcourse) so once more, I don't see how constellations can represent atom maps.

And finally, there is no such thing as one formation of a molecule. Molecules like Benzene have 6 or 7 different configurations, and there is no single molecule that has exactly one of those configurations (it's a mix of all of them at the same time).

Bye!

Crisp

------------------
    "The best thing you can become in life is yourself" -- M. Eyskens.

[This message has been edited by Crisp (edited July 15, 2000).]

9. Lenny Registered Senior Member

When you joined this board, you agreed "through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

I for one find the above tag line hateful, harassing, obscene, and profane!

10. Plato Registered Senior Member

My god you are right ! And a week has also seven days, and there are seven arms to the Jewish candle what more do you want for link ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Lenny:

"...or otherwise violative of any law."

Dexter's tagline (when christianity ruled the world it was called dark ages) may be offensive to YOU, but it does not violate any laws. Hence it is permitted on this BBS.

It does, however, happen to be inaccurate. During Dark Ages Christianity did not "rule the world". It ruled a small and (at the time) very backward area known as Europe. The only time when Christianity could be reasonably said to "have ruled the world" was few decades in the second half of 19th Century, when China, India, and Ottoman Empire all knuckled down to Europeans.

12. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Plato:

Jewish candle (menorah) has nine arms, not seven.

13. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

------------------------

When you joined this board, you agreed "through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."
    -----------------------

i dont remember that, though i started posting almost a year ago, a lot longer than this month ago (does that make sense???) but still, that is my beileif, it is a quote, i may consider the quote "damned if you do, dmaned if you dont offencive, but you may not, i may consider god offensive, and you might not, i may consider the fact that you beileive stars are gass, and not dust particles orbiting the earth as well as the sun to be offencive, but my quote is not offensive to everyone, jsut everyone that is weekminded, and beileives in god, and follows that religion!?!

------------------

-dexter (nimrod242 :aol sn)

[This message has been edited by dexter (edited July 17, 2000).]

14. Lenny Registered Senior Member

Weak-minded like Isaac Newton, J.S. Bach, George Washington, C.S Lewis, John Paul II? (The Pope BTW speaks five languages fluently and reads and writes in ten more - you apparently have a problem with one!)

I know several Christians personally who are not weak-minded and who would be offended by your "quote".

Angel of Peace Prayer

Most Holy Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and indifferences whereby He is offended. And through the infinite merits of His Most Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg of Thee the conversion of poor sinners.

[This message has been edited by Lenny (edited July 18, 2000).]

15. Arch Druid Registered Member

Well in order for stars to be a map of atoms, they would have to be intertwined with all the other atoms in the universe but that can not happen because the universe in infininte. A map is not a map until it had included every possable bit of information that can be acsessed. Unfortuantley we hardly know anything of the universe. So therefore I think it is impossable to have stars be the maps of atoms. If you are using a religon to explain this then think this: I feel that religon is made up by those who need someone to explain everything on. Humans themselves hate to thik that they do not know the answer to a question. Also people need someone to look upon as a better. Someone they can say did this or did that. Someone a person can try to be like. So take that into consideration because I read many replies to the main thoery here and most of them have religon involved. If you have an argument with this, e-mail me at granddruid@ignmail.com.

[This message has been edited by Arch Druid (edited July 18, 2000).]

16. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

i dont think you understand what i mean buy weekminded, i have a friend, a hard core christian, and he is hella smart, gets sraight A's but has no common sense. week minded is not what you dont know, its what you dont see. week minded people are those that dont have a open mind, they beileive in one thing, and in this case its christianity, they cant think what is outside of what they think..... only that what they think is right, and everything else is worng, no questions asked!!!!

------------------

-dexter (yahoo sn: rancid242)

17. David G. Smith Registered Member

A tribe in the depths of a jungle came across
    a jeep parked and running. they studied it closely and pondered where it could have came from. they have never witnessed anyone or thing more intelligent than themselves. thus they concluded that rain water must have erroded away this stone into such a shape and that these small vines which cause it to run must have just fallen into place and by a massive miracle it all fell together to run on its own. PARABBLE. We have all the evidence that we need to conclude that a more intelligent being created us and this world and the universe. there is no way that all this was created by chance, it had to have been thought out and built. Thus there IS a God almighty.
    Lenny I laughed my head off at your comment about weak minded christians. Your right on.

18. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

alright, but you should open your eyes to the facts that there is no god, (or at leaste one that doesn give a shit) 1.) why is a almighty god, taht knows who is going to hell, and who is gonna live, and said that we wont remember the earth after we die, still make us live this horrable life?? if we cant remember it, and he knows were were going??? 2.) why make us suffer??? why make his most faithful die wreched deaths at the stake? why kill his own son when he couldve jsut snapped and said, alright, and made us act liek he wantedf us too.
    and dont give me that "because he loves us" bull shit, open your eyes, look around, bosnia, isriel, everything, dont jsut look at your life, look whasts going on around you!

------------------

-dexter (yahoo sn: rancid242)

19. Lenny Registered Senior Member

By your definition you must also be “week minded”. I see no openness on your part to EVEN CONSIDER the possibility of a higher power. I don’t know you or your Christian friend, but I suspect you are every bit as dogmatic as he. It has always seemed curious to me that most atheists are more “zealous” than many Christians. Those of us who believe in the God of the Bible see this as evidence of the existence of a literal “Devil”. It is my personal conviction that non-believers are influenced (and in extreme instances, controlled) by demonic powers just as The Holy Spirit influences true Christians. This is not to say Dexter that all your actions are evil or all my actions are good. You may be a very good and kind person who cares for the needs of humanity, as a matter of fact God may have worked through you. In the same way, some of my spiteful remarks in this forum are evidence that the evil one can influence even devout Christians.

All that is really beyond the point of my complaint however. It was your signature line that offended me, not the content of your message. If you choose to offend rather than show a little kindness, that is your right. It is absolutely pointless to argue over the existence or non-existence of God. I see evidence in my own life that he does exist and I accept it as a matter of faith. If you choose to not believe, that is your problem not mine. I am a firm believer that there are no atheists after death, but then it will be too late to make amends.

Dexter, why don’t we keep our discussion in this forum to the topic of Astronomy? You might be surprised to learn that we probably agree on that subject. The Bible is not a science textbook. It is a salvation textbook. I would no more expect to find an explanation on the origin of the universe in the Bible than I would expect to find a way to God in Darwin’s “Origin of the Species”. I see no conflict between religion and science. No honest scientist would say that he has all the answers concerning the universe. The creation story in the Bible is all about God’s caring for mankind, not an explicite recipe for creating man.

The only differences you and I have concerning the universe is that I believe in an invisible “spiritual” universe that parallels the natural one we can see. What you say we limit our discussion to the one we can see? I will overlook your “dark ages” remark if you forgive me for my pointed remarks about your language skills.

The sky is not the limit, nor are the stars.

[This message has been edited by Lenny (edited July 21, 2000).]

20. Cable Man Registered Senior Member

Pardon me, but I think it's going to snow...

21. Plato Registered Senior Member

No way, the sun is shining !

22. umm7of9 Registered Member

Sh*g it!! And here I am, dumb little me thinking this was the 'General Astronomy' section.

**Smack, smack on my knuckles**

23. Infinity Registered Senior Member

You fool! Thats about the most childish statment i've ever heard.

hahaha, your funny!!!!!!!!!! hahahah LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.