Flat Earth Argument

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Pit, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

I'd like to have a calm, respectable argument to any Flat Earther or other non-customarily accepted heliocentric spherical earth beiliver.
    And please come in here with a serious argument, some evidence, perhaps a map, and a basic bit of physic of your Earth theory.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Good luck with this...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

How does one have a respectable argument with pure stupidity. There would, literally, have to be MILLIONS of people in on the conspiracy.

Ssssssh! And not a word leaked.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

And I would like Miranda Kerr to fall madly in love with me. Both are equally likely events.

8. TFL ʞǝǝƃ ɐ ʇsnɾ Registered Senior Member

Go look at a map. It's flat.

QED

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

How do you explain the creases?

10. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

topologically flat then...

11. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

How about wherever you are on earth, the moon is shadowed round?

12. Pinwheel Banned Banned

The Earth is not flat, this was proven when it was realised that it is in fact a hollow sphere.

13. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Well do let CSS in this one as I am sure they will say it is possible to perpetuate the conspiracy issue LOL

14. TFL ʞǝǝƃ ɐ ʇsnɾ Registered Senior Member

Mountains.

15. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

The Earth is flat, but vision is like a Fly, so our eyes bend it into a sphere, and lenses do the same....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Indeed, if space-time is in fact curved, then a "spherical" earth must in fact lie flat.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

18. Rav Valued Senior Member

This is another clear cut example of mindless sheep blindly believing whatever they are told. I mean seriously, who here can say that they've been in space? No-one? Right. That's what I thought. You all just believe what you're told like good little boys and girls.

If the Earth was spherical, you would be able to measure this curvature using very large bodies of water. But attempts have been made at places such as Lake Tahoe and the Salton Sea and absolutely no curvature can be detected. Also, consider the fact that the Nile river falls a little less than a single foot over a distance of 1000 miles. Obviously this fact is completely incompatible with the idea of a "spherical" Earth.

As for Astronauts, even if they have been into space (which I seriously doubt due to the overwhelming amount of compelling evidence to suggest that not only did this not in fact happen, but that is completely impossible*) curvature is exactly what you would expect to see when looking at a flat Earth from such an altitude due to the laws of perspective concerning the human eye.

In summary, check your facts (like I have) before you go spouting what you don't realize is absolute nonsense. I would have expected more from sciforums members. I would have thought that you guys, above and beyond everyone else, would have been open minded enough to discover the obvious and fatal inconsistencies inherent in "Spherical Earth Theory". Remember, a scientific theory is essentially no different than any theory that any random person could come up with in the sense that it HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN.

Finally, there are thousands of people in the world who believe that the Earth is flat. That's not many compared to the almost 7 billion people on the planet, but it reminds of those advertisements on TV in which it is stated that "9 out of 10 doctors recommend..." etc etc. When I see this I always think that maybe that one doctor was the truly brilliant one and maybe the other 9 were like, pretty average. Maybe that one doctor understood something that the others didn't, and had an excellent reason to NOT recommend the particular product. So, seriously consider that for a minute. Maybe those thousands of people actually understand something that the rest of you don't.

*Anyone who has seen that "Did we really go to the moon?" documentary will know for a fact that there are various scientific reasons why it is impossible for human beings to even reach orbit let alone remain in actual space for long enough to have study the Earth from such a vantage point.

So there you go. Be careful what you ask for. You may just get it.

19. superstring01 Moderator

Then all of the thousands of satellites in space, by hundreds of corporations, are all in on the lie, as they send back millions of pictures over the past three decades, that show the earth spinning, freely in space.

I'm also in on the lie, because I've been to a large observatory on Tenerife, and saw Mars and Jupiter spin in space. They must be flat disks too.

~String

20. Rav Valued Senior Member

I was really aiming my comments at the OP who seems to want to engage in a reasoned, logical and scientific debate with any flat earthers that may be floating about. If you used an electron microscope you might be able to locate a reason why this isn't necessarily as much of an absurd waste of time as it seems to be.

21. superstring01 Moderator

Ahh.

Well, you were convincing. . . of stupidity, that is.

I'm not saying you're stupid. You're obviously not. Just, your argument was a good act.

So, maybe what I should do is just compliment your acting.

Yeah. That's it.

~String

22. Rav Valued Senior Member

LOL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sorry, I was really tired last night, and I'd also been drinking a little. There's a fine line between subtle but recognizable parody and something that everyone will end up taking seriously. It's an art form that is probably best practiced when you're operating at peak efficiency.

I pulled a little material from here: http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:OLmck-WghIAJ:www.mrsciguy.com/documents/proofs.doc

I doubt that you'll find a more profoundly retarded collection of supposed "proofs" anywhere else. I'll be in awe of anyone who can read the entire thing without feeling that somehow their IQ is being sucked out of their head and their brain transformed into a convulsing blob of complete insanity.