Hummer bites the dust

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by pjdude1219, Feb 25, 2010.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

after attempts to sell of the brand to the chinese fell out GM is just tossing another brand. Though this one might actually be a blessing in desguise.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

I actually agree.

Big gas-hogs need to go bye-bye.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

I love Hummers. They are great in bad weather (everything from snow to floods), in rescuing people, and in being dependable. I like the old ones. And the ones like this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

They should have never been allowed to be purchased by the general public, only for special purpose.
    Good riddance...

8. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

gas hogs? u know u can get an engine mod for the hummer that makes it about as gas efficent as cars?

"Johnathan Goodwin and his company H-Line Conversions, Inc. pioneered "The Conversion" of the H1 and H2 Hummers from gasoline, 325 hp, and 8-12 mpg to eco-friendly biodiesel 650+ horsepower and around 25 miles per gallon."

http://www.hlineconversions.com/index.php

9. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

give me 2 good reasons why public shouldnt have been allowd to buy them?

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"THE H2 SPORT UTILITY TRUCK. Half pickup, half SUV, the SUT’s bold looks, luxurious interior, and unparalleled off-road performance make it 100% HUMMER. With a host of standard features and a durable 72-inch bed, when the midgate is folded down, the SUT is as versatile as it is striking. STARTING AT $62,260* "

Price is one reason

It also seems that the public wasn't buying that many in the past year or so either.

11. superstring01 Moderator

How many people actually bought those mods?

The public isn't "not allowed" to buy them now! In fact, it was the PUBLIC that killed Hummer by NOT buying them in sufficient quantities to make producing them profitable. The "public" recently did this to the entire GM and Chrysler corporation, driving them into bankruptcy. The "public" may well do this to poor Toyota!

There is nothing freer than the "public" deciding the fate of a company.

~String

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Poor Dhoni, he just bought a Hummer.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wow, a diesel truck for 80K! What an innovation!

14. superstring01 Moderator

¿Quien?

~String

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

16. superstring01 Moderator

Well, two things are worth noting. 1) he probably has the money to keep even the most legacy vehicle running smoothly for years to come and 2) GM will still service the vehicle and produce replacement parts for some time and then sell off the rights to those parts to somebody (probably in India or China) else.

~String

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hummers are killing Gods creatures!

18. superstring01 Moderator

Is this a good time to say something smarmy about how much I love a good hummer?

~String

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

1. Can't fit in an average parking place.
    2. Dangerous to other cars, bikes.
    3. Not fuel efficient.
    4. Ugly (by car standard, as a tank, it is beautiful)
    etc.etc.etc.

Not every demand should be statisfied. I bet people would buy flying cars too, if they were aviable for purchase. By the way people did buy Hummers back in the roaring late 90s, when gas was $1.5

The only Hummer people should buy:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  20. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

firstly look at the features of the hummer

They can ford 30 inches (76 cm) of water, climb a 22-inch (56 cm) step, have a stock ground clearance of 16 inches (41 cm). This high clearance is made possible by tucking driveline components inside a channel in the central space between the left and right seats. They have high approach/departure angles of 72/37.5 degrees. Most H1s are equipped with a Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS), which enables the driver to increase or decrease the tire air pressure at will- since lower tire pressures are more suited for off road, and higher tire pressures are desirable on-road.

They use inboard brakes. They have portal gears, allowing the drivetrain's half shafts to be up high for greater clearance
    http://www.marks4wd.com/images/products/gearmaster/Portals/PICT1158.JPG

thats what gives the h1 hummer the torque and pulling power it has.. so yes its an 80k truck.. you can pick up a mid 90s h1 for around30-40 a 2006 last year the civilian model was made for 150k.

and an 80k for a truck bit high but the there isnt much that you cant do with the H1 hummer from extreme offroading. towing, to being a mall crawler. oh and keep mind hummers weigh 10,300lbs gets 10-12 mpg with mods u can get 25-30

but now that you brought up price lets take a gander here

PRICE. average mpg city/highway
    Bugatti Veyron $1,700,000. 10mpg
    Lamborghini Reventon $1,600,000. 11mpg
    McLaren F1 $970,000. 13.5mpg
    Ferrari Enzo $670,000. 8mpg
    Pagani Zonda C12 F $667,321. N/A
    SSC Ultimate Aero $654,400. 22.5mpg
    Saleen S7 Twin Turbo $555,000. 14mpg
    Koenigsegg CCX $545,568. 9.5mpg
    Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Roadster $495,000. 14mpg
    Porsche Carrera GT $440,000. 12mpg
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    H1 hummer $150,975.00 11mpg

all these cars woot million dollar gas cars.. even better most cant go over a speedbump straight on without high centering.. the can drive on pavement and go fast.. DOH speed limit is still capped at 60-75 damn.. unless you live overseas "outside the us"

your completely right h1 hummer is nothing more than an overprices truck that guzzles gass... o wait.....

21. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

1. agree
    2. so is any other truck.suv.semi
    3. neither are high performance cars as shown above
    4 ur opinion.. i think its the best looking truck out ther H2 is terrible. H3 is worse

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

What's your point? That conversion costs $52k, and the MSRP of the H2 is $62k. So, yeah, I guess if you spend almost the original price of the vehicle to replace its engine and other parts, it can be reasonably fuel efficient. But that's hardly an argument against the fact that they're gas hogs.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I can get a diesel Unimog that would leave it in the dust for 11K.