How would you fix America's economic problems if you had the authority to do it?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by desi, Feb 23, 2010.

1. desi Valued Senior Member

What would you do differently than what they are doing now?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats easy, I would declare bankruptcy, let the chips fall where they will and then start from scratch. When the problem is spending too much, there is really no other way to resolve it. You have to address the core problem.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I would immediately bring back two programs that Roosevelt used so successfully to lift us out of the Great Depression - the CCC and WPA.

There are literally hundreds of bridges across the country that are in need of repair, thousands of miles of roads too and numerous other things like restoring New Orleans. Millions could be put to work (though many might refuse doing manual labor today) and THAT'S what is really needed - to put money back into people's pockets which would then go into circulation and bring the economy back up in a reasonably short time (rather than the 5 or 10 years that's being forecast right now).

If the PEOPLE had money to spend, goods and services would come back into demand creating an overall upward spiral toward recovery.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. desi Valued Senior Member

Okay. You file for bankruptcy and get it. Then you'll just have to do it again in several years because spending habits aren't changed. All those people on Medicaid and Food Stamps aren't going to disappear. Bad things will probably happen if you don't pay those Marines their meager wages. On top of that, by declaring bankruptcy you are declaring your currency is useless so you can't get any imports, ie oil and olives, with your currency. Are you sure you want those chips to fall?

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

SAM knows next to nothing about real economics (or many other things, either). She just likes to jump into any subject and make mostly meaningless posts - That's why I ignore her completely and suggest you (and everyone else) do the same. If you'll do that, you'll never miss anything worth reading.

9. desi Valued Senior Member

Those programs provided some relief work for many people but I don't know if it was the kind of jobs we want. On top of that, that kind of work tends to be given to contractors who hire lots of illegal immigrants to do the grunt work these days.

You forgot the War that devastated the rest of the industrialized world. It wasn't the welfare projects of the 30's that made America powerful. It was us being the last one standing on our side of the Iron Curtain after WWII. Europe and Japan were smoking ruins. The world we live in with China and India industrialized is a different kind of problem for us to contend with.

10. desi Valued Senior Member

SAM has offered more than a few posts I've found to be insightful. I've also typed more than a few posts where others have taught me a thing or two about the world. That's what makes the internet so fun.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Actually, I meant to say "they HELPED bring us out of the Depression." And there's nothing today to prevent giving those jobs to ones who will take them and work under the supervision of people who know how they should be done.

There's a *tremendous* idle workforce out there and I believe lots of them would jump at the opportunity for a paying temporary job.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, even I will admit that she has. However, it's honestly not worth the effort to have to sort through all the chaff in order to find so little grain. There are dozens of other people here that make quality posts - and I'd rather spend my time reading what they write.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a problem you face when you spend more than you make, there is no "easy" solution for that. Your friends can bail you out for a few days, you can try and sell stuff you have or make deals with your creditors, but the simple fact of the matter is that when you are in debt the way the US is in debt, there is no way around it than to fall. No matter how many wars the Americans go to, no matter how many corporations and banks they bail out, they cannot change the simple red line in their balance sheet. Their economy is sinking and denial won't change a thing.

So yes, there will be difficult times ahead, because social security and mediclaim will catch up and in a country where infrastructure is breaking down and the rest of the world is passing by, there is not much the US can do than to wipe the board clean and start over

But you will find that even when they recognise this, many Americans are unwilling to face this, so the break down will be long and drawn out and worse than it should have been.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

pull out of the 2 wars your currently fighting, slash the millatry budget to something acceptable, increase unemployment benifts to a reasonable level for both moral reasons but also to increase consumer demand (and there for tax revinue), revoke the tax cuts on high income earners, insitute a superanuation scheam to ensure that there wont be as many people needing old aged pentions in the long term, increase migration because this increases tax base, focus on implimenting health care and other nessary social programs in order to turn a welfare dependent population into a tax paying one (the homeless who are to sick to work because of easerly treated health problems COST money, they dont increase tax revinue), ensure value for the money goverment invests in R&D resurch by companies, look at investing in industries which CANT be moved off shore rather than those which take the money and run to china and india because these will previde stable long term employment, raise the min wage to ensure that people can get a decent standed of living off the income from one job there by freeing up other jobs for other people and increasing the tax base ect

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This might have worked ten years ago, it was too late when Obama came in and his policies have shown us [or me, at least] that US Presidents care more about the people who fund them than the people who vote them in.

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

its the perfect thing to do. you get money flowing into the economy and you update are ancient infrastructure. last time this country had a major investment in the infrastructure was what Eisinhower and the interstates?

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Return to the Fairness Doctrine where the news media provides a fair and balanced version of the news. We have to be back to conducting our business in a civil and informed maner. We need to get away from this rule by mob and myopic thinking that has come to characterize American policy these last two decades. Three, we need to revise the constitution to ban lobbying and keep politicians focused on the public interest and not special interests.

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That's easy. I'd do nothing, 'cept cut taxes, cut spending, and end the wars.

I'd let the free market work.

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

So you'd let the problems get worse and just watch?

20. sandy Banned Banned

Cut taxes.
    Stop spending.
    Stop all money to foreign countries.
    Stop the wars.
    Stop all welfare/handouts to lazy Americans who won't work.
    Deport all criminal aliens.
    Deport all criminals to their country of origin/ancestry.
    Stop all social programs.
    No more bailouts of any kind.

21. kmguru Staff Member

We have a "Systemic Problem" which is highly complex and no one or two single solutions will make a dent on it. One has to solve all the equations...that could be 100 of them. While at it one has to make a lot of deals with other countries as we are now a connected world.

22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Just about every single non native american should be deported to another country? So which country you going to?

23. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

LOL !
    the whites back to England
    the blacks back to africa
    the yellows back to asia
    the reds get to stay put

what a simple plan !

you can probably put all the mixed race people in cuba

soo you going to cancel all the wages of the politicians ?